MSFS 2020 News

Captain Lars

There is a simple answer to all this pondering on Internet speeds - and quality of Hardware needed - subscriptions  etc.-

If one has been listening closely  to those French accents - you will have heard them say that MS will

cover all these problems by the software "assessing" your Hardware - Internet - etc - and providing you with 

best you can expect. - ( and if you wish - for around $10 per month)

However -  the simple answer??? - for around $A600 (the current price of an X BOX ONE X) - You will be able to buy  around Aug/Sept 2020

an X BOX TWO - (which is better than the best PC around $ 5000 - (I9 - 2080TI - SSI)) - and have  the full quality sim. from MS. - 

In 4K HDR10. (in time for my 85th Birthday in Sept.)

I currently use my X BOX one X for all the latest and fastest FPS games around - and my Max download speed is only 48MPS (6MBs)

via Co - Ax Cable (our NBS) - I can go to 100 - but I've been doing this now since XBOX 1 X came out a year ago with Perfect 4K  HDR10 resolution on my 43" NVIDIA

driven TV set/monitor.

I also have a game pass subscription for $A10.50 /month for a choice of any game on offer - and that's all it has cost me - in the same

12 months - except for a Thrustmaster Steering wheel for my F1 and Forza racing games - so maybe all I will need is the new X Box TWO

I will probably keep both my XP and PR3D as well to make use of the A/C investments to date and especially my Oceana and TE Britain Orbx softwares

Q.E.D.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt that MSFS2020 will be a new milestone in flightsim that I look forward to explore. The developers of existing sims also see these videos, and will continue to make improvements to their simulators. I think we will continue to have multiple sims to use each with their own benefits and shortcomings. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:44 PM, Ken Q said:

Amen to that!!!

I use FSUIPC and Spad.NEXT for all but a few of my controls, and my setup does not use mouse or keyboard for anything once a flight is set up.  So I have several controllers, with dozens of individual buttons, switches, etc.  Just the other day Windows 10 did an "update" and it set all of the native FSX control settings to the "default" .  That created double settings, consequently nothing worked  right until I went into the FSX control menu and deleted all of the "joystick assignments.". It took over an hour.  Wasted an afternoon of flying time!

Ken

Same problem for me. I have been rolling back to 1803 for about 6 months. Yesterday it won't let me roll back anymore. And my multipanel does not work with any update past 1803. Frankly I am sick of this problem. Why won't they give us an option to stay where we are?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:09 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

I have AT&T fiber right to the PC and I get 65 Mbps up and 62 Mbps down.

What's the secret to getting comparable download/upload speeds? I have fiber/direct connection, 110 download, 11 upload. Doesn't matter where I live, what computer I'm using, or which modem, upload is never close to the download speed. Worries me that my upload speed will prevent decent performance on MSFS 2020. And yeah, I'm willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee. Reasonable is $10 per month for this poor cheapskate. :)

2 hours ago, patful said:

What's the secret to getting comparable download/upload speeds? I have fiber/direct connection, 110 download, 11 upload. Doesn't matter where I live, what computer I'm using, or which modem, upload is never close to the download speed. Worries me that my upload speed will prevent decent performance on MSFS 2020. And yeah, I'm willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee. Reasonable is $10 per month for this poor cheapskate. :)

You might find this interview with the MS2020 team helpful information, especially with regard to internet speeds and user experience.

Cheers

Renault

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/568679-lanacioncomar-interview-with-neumann-and-wloch/

3 hours ago, patful said:

I don't know Pat.  I'm in Atlanta and on AT&T fiber optic.

As an old colleague of mine used to say “never fly the Mk 1 of anything”.  As a predominantly tube liner flyer accurate high level weather, esp horizon cloud draw distance, is a priority.  The limitations of P3D v4 in this respect are well known but ASN and ASCA go some way towards realism.  I also find the seasonal OLC Eu and Aus v2, which are where I fly, are ideal.  4.6 MBPS internet download speeds in rural Lincolnshire are also a major factor.  So I’m happy to sit back and see how MSFS2020 develops before I try it out.

Chris

Two points from my perspective

Don't care about seasons. Don't have deciduous trees where I live and fly and it doesn't snow. It is fine as far as I'm concerned if there is just clouds and wind.

However, having said the above, my current investment in P3D is gathering dust due to changed circumstances so I won't be investing in MF2020.

Hi All.

First post in your forum.

Personally I am very excited by FS2020. What I love more than anything about this hobby is the ability to fly in a virtual copy of the country I live in, the UK, and see what it looks like from the air. Flying over my house and seeing local landmarks, that was always my ultimate goal when I modelled in Gmax for FS2004. The more realistic the virtual sim world looks the more I love it. MS2020 promises to bring a level of realism that until now has not been possible without a great deal of hard work and expense.  I love what Orbx has done for the UK its brilliant. In many ways it is what  the VFR addons community was trying to achieve in 2004 but real earth lacks any option to customise an area and add unique buildings and features to improve it still further so its limited.

So FS2020 is just eye candy? Well certainbly the scenery is a big part of it but I think its clear when watching the videos that FS2020 will be far more than just that. They are modelling weather, volumetric clouds, turbulence and airflow around buildings and over terrain in more detail than any sim has ever done before. This is all a simmers dream in my opinion. The closer we get to reality, the closer we get to feeling as if we are really flying and when VR screen technology gets where it needs to be, the world will be our oyster.

As for seasons, I never was that impressed with seasons anyway. The ground textures don't change, just the 3D trees and it was never possible to make the whole landscape look as the real world does in Autumn, it was a half way house option at best. That said the new snow feature shown in the recent FS2020 video looks very impressive so who knows.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:01 PM, bvdboomen said:

The video goes about audio, which is truly great, but man, what an imagery it was again!

Indeed! The audio is going to be great but man, those in game clips... totally awesome! The video began with a few real life clips and it took me a few seconds to realize the next clip was not real but sim...! There are quite a few clips that had me wondering if it was real or not. Totally awesome. MSFS is going to rock!

23 hours ago, cbcdesign said:

First post in your forum.

Welcome to the forums. I agree that what we have seen so far will make for some very immersive VFR experiences. I understand that the MS team will shortly be presenting on the IFR capabilities of the new sim. 

I cant wait for this, no matter how you look at it P3d / FSX engine is over a decade old - the only thing worrying me, is they are making it compatible for consoles and in my experince thats never a good thing for PC owners of the same title.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:11 PM, Flamingpie said:

There are quite a few clips that had me wondering if it was real or not.

The same for me. Only after see moving the lever inside the airplane I was told that I'm watching the simulator. Incredible!

mfg Kai

seems to be some good PR to, lots of updates, getting everyone talking and showing how it's all being done.....be interesting to see how it plays out on your average PC with average internet...but it does look fantastic.....

On 1/21/2020 at 1:15 PM, uksfpred said:

I cant wait for this, no matter how you look at it P3d / FSX engine is over a decade old - the only thing worrying me, is they are making it compatible for consoles and in my experince thats never a good thing for PC owners of the same title.

"Over a decade old" is very friendly said!:D

On 1/21/2020 at 5:15 AM, uksfpred said:

They will build it for PC first, then port it over to consoles.

Hi guys please be careful on what you say on this post as Orbx will close it if any body posts derogatory comments on here. We are lucky that they have allowed us to have this section to speak about the new Microsoft Fltsim so please be careful. Derek.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I have removed the last few posts.

Comment on facts about the new simulator are welcome, speculation

on Microsoft company policy is not for these forums.

Nick -- G'day

You see a very disappointed - long standing Orbx customer - and I realise that you will use your veto to 

to block this -  and after you do - please message me  - and tell me where in my last memo - anything I said was "Speculation"

What  I said was fact - that I do use subscription for my X Box  - and will do so for MS 2020  - when it is released to X Box in 

August /Sept - which is as stated by Microsoft in various places will be by subscription. I won't speculate on how many more simmers will 

be brought to the Orbx content - that will undoubtedly be included - and not speculated upon. 

Also --- as Stated --- I will continue to use - and add to - all my Orbx packages on my PC -  as I have done for over 12 years to support 

an Australian company.

Your Truly 

John T.Heaton

Hello,

you wrote this:

Just a query - Why?? - since it is very likely that this MS 2020 would be the first PC subscription - if it is offered - I think!

As you are well aware, there has been no news on how the new simulator

will be marketed and therefore any comment must be speculation.

As I am sure you are also well aware, there is an entire forum at Avsim where

speculation is rife and I am keen to keep comments here restricted to facts that

Microsoft have released.

A debate on how it might be paid for is therefore for somewhere else.

What you do with X Box is, with all due respect, not relevant.

I am sorry if you find this upsetting, it is not my intention to upset anyone but it

is my intention to keep these forums, as far as is possible, free of speculation on the 

subject of "MS2020".

To repeat myself again, comments and discussion of facts that have been announced

is welcome.

55 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

you wrote this:

As you are well aware, there has been no news on how the new simulator

will be marketed and therefore any comment must be speculation.

As I am sure you are also well aware, there is an entire forum at Avsim where

speculation is rife and I am keen to keep comments here restricted to facts that

Microsoft have released.

A debate on how it might be paid for is therefore for somewhere else.

What you do with X Box is, with all due respect, not relevant.

I am sorry if you find this upsetting, it is not my intention to upset anyone but it

is my intention to keep these forums, as far as is possible, free of speculation on the 

subject of "MS2020".

To repeat myself again, comments and discussion of facts that have been announced

is welcome.

Nick

Thankyou for the courtesy of the reply - I fully understand your requirements!

I assure you - I - and probably others - sometimes read elsewhere certain comments - Yes in Avsim - that

are sometimes quite literal - and difficult to separate fact from fiction - especially as we all are

very interested in what - after all - seems to be a leap technically in the sim world - not only flight sims - 

However - I promise - not to mention anything - unsubstantiated by Microsoft announcements - on here anymore.

John

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

entire forum at Avsim where

speculation is rife

Agreed,  and that's why it is helpful to have a factual objective thread here. It's quite understandable that Orbx customers will want an 'Orbxcentric' -if that's a word - slant to the comments, for example to discuss how the talents at Orbx may contribute to any new sim.

Presumably when/if Orbx produce compatible products with MS2020 there will be a dedicated sub-forum as for P3D XP etc.

Meanwhile I do hope people are not put off discussing the facts here, despite the fact that those with most to say are under an NDA presently.

29 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

The best part of the sound video was the increase in waves at San Francisco as the windspeed increased.

Larry

You are right Larry. I was very impressed with that too.

It will be interesting to see how the azure AI deals with the more obscure areas that we might fly over. I'm thinking about the level of detail and sheer amount of work that OrbX put into TEGB, so that all those hundreds of points of interest got the hand made treatment. That makes a tremendous difference to how recognisable city centres or landmarks are. Lots of us gave feedback on this forum about POIs in TEGB, and OrbX did a really good job with the patches that they released. Leeds for instance went from an unrecognisable generic area of autogen into a really faithful depiction of all the major buildings. Add that to the Leeds Bradford airport pack, and we are really well catered for in an area that doesn't have the global glamour of Seattle/San Francisco/NYC etc 

It seems a big leap of the imagination to see those less well known areas getting sufficient level of detail just through the AI/satellite imagery process. I don't know how clever robots are these days to do all this stuff. MSFS2020 looks like a really impressive project, and god knows it's about time flight sims made proper use of our hardware, but I see it living alongside the other sims and I still see plenty of life in the XP11-OrbX world for some time to come.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 11:38 PM, larryisenor said:

The best part of the sound video was the increase in waves at San Francisco as the windspeed increased.

Larry

Yes, this was amazing. But also the sounds of the waters are incredible.

I just hope these sounds won't be hearable from within the plane. Not as it is in FSX and P3d, where you can hear the birds singing while sitting in the cockpit during approach.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:32 PM, John Hargreaves said:

It seems a big leap of the imagination to see those less well known areas getting sufficient level of detail just through the AI/satellite imagery process. I don't know how clever robots are these days to do all this stuff.

Maybe this is a chance for Orbx as an FS2020 third party developer to provide missing POIs and missing details etc., also for more abscure areas as you call them

6 hours ago, wolfko said:

Maybe this is a chance for Orbx as an FS2020 third party developer to provide missing POIs and missing details etc., also for more abscure areas as you call them

In MSFS 2020's January 16th update, they did announce an alpha SDK for 3rd party developers, and they indicated their eagerness to see what the 3rd party developers can create.

To be fair, Nick appears to be doing his level best to keep discussion of the whole topic of MS2020 factual, and for all simulator platforms to discourage direct (and particularly unsupported) criticism.

Your suggestion to ask Nick remove your post is sensible and understanding.

As I said from the beginning, if not suitable, please remove the post.

My original post was genuine and if I have broken any rules then they were unintentional.

All I ask is that people politely explain any errors we may make and remember we are not all experts on the forums and sometimes require help and guidance.

Archived