Cape Hinchinbrook

VH-KDK

1.g5J668x.jpg

At the entrance to Prince William Sound is Cape Hinchinbrook.

It is at the southwest end of Hinchinbrook Island AK.

2.1GNkVUo.jpg

Hinchinbrook Island, with an area of 178 sq miles, is the 37th largest island in the US and has a population of five!

3.QcaASXB.jpg

The original lighthouse was built in 1910.

4.TebulzD.jpg

Following a series of earthquakes in 1927 and 28 the land was considered unstable so the present 20 metre structure was completed in 1934.

It was fully automated in 1974.

Fabulous shots Martyn.  On the northeast corner is the Johnstone Point vortac with an adjacent small runway.  We used to fly down from ANC at the end of August for the best Silver

Salmon fishing ever.  Good Sitka deer hunting on the west end where 'land and shoot' was allowed.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:25 PM, Stillwater said:

Fantastic lighthouse views and (again) narration, Martyn.

Not so fantastic weather, but I expect this is what you expected?

Thank you Gerold, we had five excellent days and then two real Alaskan ones.

The next five days when we went to Denali and Fairbanks were beautiful fine days too so we did really well weather wise.:)

17 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Amazing how well Orbx matches.  And five people?  This would be where I would love to live despite the quakes.

Thanks Jack, I wonder who the famous five are!:)

The quakes would be a worry though.:ph34r:

15 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Fabulous shots Martyn.  On the northeast corner is the Johnstone Point vortac with an adjacent small runway.  We used to fly down from ANC at the end of August for the best Silver

Salmon fishing ever.  Good Sitka deer hunting on the west end where 'land and shoot' was allowed.

Thanks very much OND, always great to hear of peoples connections with the posts.

The fishing sounds good along with the shooting.:)

On 11/24/2019 at 2:56 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Amazing how well Orbx matches.  And five people?  This would be where I would love to live despite the quakes.

Just noticed your comment - imagine standing on the floor of the PANC tower cab (165 ft) and noticing the entire Chugach Range moving slowly back and forth.  Of course the mountains weren't moving, it was us.  After shift 'pitstop' was wild.

10 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Just noticed your comment - imagine standing on the floor of the PANC tower cab (165 ft) and noticing the entire Chugach Range moving slowly back and forth.  Of course the mountains weren't moving, it was us.  After shift 'pitstop' was wild.

I'd love it.  Been to California many times and always wanted to feel one.  My friends there said every time I came they stopped.  What a disappointment.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:50 PM, olderndirt said:

Good that you are still here to tell the story. Not too good being that high up at that moment, good job the engineers got their calculations right building the tower.:)

On 11/26/2019 at 2:01 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

I'd love it.  Been to California many times and always wanted to feel one.  My friends there said every time I came they stopped.  What a disappointment.

I would like to go storm chasing Jack but then I think that I would be wanting to see something that destroys whole communities.:(

I will stick to taking photos of scenery and planes!;)

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

I would like to go storm chasing Jack but then I think that I would be wanting to see something that destroys whole communities.:(

I will stick to taking photos of scenery and planes!;)

Storm?  I didn’t know earthquakes week now classified as storms.  Is this related to, oh, never mind, you know what I was gonna say.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Storm?  I didn’t know earthquakes week now classified as storms.  Is this related to, oh, never mind, you know what I was gonna say.

No, nothing to do with you know what.:lol:

You said you wanted to see an earthquake and my desire would be to see a tornado.

Not long before earthquakes are caused by you know what though.;)

17 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

No, nothing to do with you know what.:lol:

You said you wanted to see an earthquake and my desire would be to see a tornado.

Not long before earthquakes are caused by you know what though.;)

I’ve been through several tornadoes.  Ripped the roof off my last house. Seen three right here where I am now. Very powerful.

Archived