openLC Africa status

John Venema

Sorry to read this, but it is, as it is.

For me ist also the end, but not for the quality, its because my PC is to old for the last projects.

And the new PC is comming when the specs from FS2020 ist out and verifyd.

Open LC hase make sense for me, TrueEarth not.

1 hour ago, hal9000 said:

For me ist also the end, but not for the quality, its because my PC is to old for the last projects.

And the new PC is comming when the specs from FS2020 ist out and verifyd.

Open LC hase make sense for me, TrueEarth not.

I have to second that, totally.

I am a happy camper with my 7-year-old-and-frequently-updated rig, but TrueEarth does not suit me.

OLC is my intention - especially as I like to make Orbx-real life-comparisons. And I fly a lot in Asia, with South Africa on my 2020 list.

Lets see if I can actually contribute to the discussion. I think we should all just sit tight and see how things work out, it will be a couple of years at least. I was disappointed that Asia is deferred, but the market conditions change, and Orb  must be responsive. Also remember John Venemas description of how products are developed, it is not a contract with a delivery date. I still hope to see all the projects listed in the 2019 map.

What we have is still good, I flew into CYYT St Johns Newfoundland, after seeing a youtube video, expecting the bland default. It was great, I believe one of Neil Hills efforts!

So, lots to explore, lots to enjoy.

That sucks.

I'm shocked to say the least. OpenLC was what I was waiting for because it suits my type of flying. I'm not interested in GA airfields *yawn*, I'm not interested in TE series products (who needs that), and I'm only partially interested in regional products. I'm not a globalist person, but the sky extends all around the globe and is not restricted to the portion above one's backyard.

The reason why I'm interested in OpenLC is that it makes a lot more sense than all the other products. From an objective perspective, and not only mine. The OpenLC products are the logical extension of the Global product line, whose goal it is to get the earth covered in a coherent, integrated way that can give us the impression of flying over a realistic globe. Logical, coherent and integrated, in what product else do you get these characteristics?

I don't know why OpenLC Africa is delayed for such a long time now, and why OpenLC Asia is cancelled now. If I recall correctly, you already teased us, asked us what we'd like to see inside the product and presented us with, I believe, Holger Sandmann (I'm sorry if it wasn't Holger but somebody else, it makes no difference though), who was entitled with the development task. I don't know how it can happen, to rely on a company / a developer that apparently doesn't do anything, but, oops, we don't have a contract, so we can't do anything about it. Seriously?

And this important goal of having a coherent, integrated depiction of the globe was sacrificed for something as stupid as having a TE product for every state in the US. Hahaha! That's as bad as Microsoft's decision back in the days of yore to suit the LC tile width to the latitudes where most customers are living, anticipating the bulk customer that flies 50 hours or so and then moves on to something different.

I'm not a total romanticist and I understand that you have to make decisions based on economics. But this decision was bad. I think, when PMDG gets their 777 and 737 ported over to MSFS, and the first companies port their airports over, I'm gone with MSFS. Surely I'll take Melbourne and the other bigger airports of Orbx with me, but that's it. Why should I buy anything new? There'll be no need for Global product line most likely, let alone regions or TE. It's OpenLC that I need and in P3D.

Sad sad sad  sad sad. I'm very disappointed.

3 hours ago, xuehua china said:

I don't think there are a lot of flying friends in Asia, but we have been ignored in Asia. In fact, we should have been the top 10 airports in Asia for a long time

Absolutely true, Asia has been and will always be the most neglected area in the Sim besides Africa, which is sad. As others said, I too was anticipating to finally fly around Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand and Hong Kong with a landclass that matches the real world and not the default and wrong standard scenery. As much as I understand it from the economic point of view, but it's sad and - imo - a little too fast considering MSFS2020 is still a good year (if not more) away from releasing, with no assurance that everyone will abandon P3D the day MSFS2020 is released. 

Kind regards. 

I think 2020 should be fast, and the beginning of the year should be almost the same. Another point is that any simulation flight platform is ignoring Asia. Countries like China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and India are often ignored. If we developed Asia a few years ago, it would be quite good, and our friends in Asia are no less or even more than those in Europe. Now, in fact, Asia is neither doing nor not doing After all, we can have a choice when 2020 is coming.

4 minutes ago, xuehua china said:

I think 2020 should be fast, and the beginning of the year should be almost the same. Another point is that any simulation flight platform is ignoring Asia. Countries like China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and India are often ignored. If we developed Asia a few years ago, it would be quite good, and our friends in Asia are no less or even more than those in Europe. Now, in fact, Asia is neither doing nor not doing After all, we can have a choice when 2020 is coming.

Yet again you're absolutely right. But, I won't change to MSFS2020 immediately, as I'd prefer to rather wait and see if it requires any patches or similar. 

Kind regards. 

I don't think it's possible. If you think about 2020, who will wait? 2020 would have competed with P3D xplane11. Orbx would have sold well if it had been made in Asia and Africa years ago, but it will not be the case after 2020 is released. Many people are likely to turn to 2020 immediately, because there are global landscapes. I still feel sorry if we don't develop South America and open up Fanasia will have a larger group of fans.

Its a shame as certainly Europe is excellent and I hope the TE series for P3D keeps coming, especially the UK with a third of it done as I invested in that over the Justflight version.

The issue with 2020 is it could arrive in 2-3 months it could be 12-13 months away, personally I will keep buying for P3D and keep running it, when 2020 comes I will likely buy it but run it alongside for a while at least as I have spent £100's if not four figures on it so far with add ones, add this into the fact when released 2020 will be a first version possibly like FSX before it with many bugs that will require time to iron out (FSX had some that were never sorted such as the UI Automation Core and the 7 second freeze) so the actual sim probably will be 2021/22 before its fully working smoothly.

Add all this in to we dont know what hardware, what qualities it will have I think its too early to stick the gravestone onto P3D or even X-Plane.

Thats my view and imagine many will follow suit for a while at least so hope P3D and Xplane is still served by Orbx for a while yet but it is an uncertain time in our hobby so understandable there may be issues with developing

On 11/20/2019 at 2:04 PM, John Venema said:

We have not signed a contract with our customers for finishing openLC globally so whilst it may be disappointing for many of your that openLC Asia may never see the light of day, and openLC Africa is at risk, it is what it is.

What does "may never see the light of day" mean, anyways? Is it cancelled or not, simple question, simple answer, please.

Now everyone's jumped on the MSFS hype and sees himself with this sim. Fine.

Let me introduce you to a somewhat more realistic perspective: If MSFS comes with only half the shortcomings and ridiculous flaws that these series is known for, it will take ages (so, years) to get this sim to the same level of flying as Prepar3D. Trust me, you just lack the imagination of what the flaws of this thing are going to look like. For example:

• Ooops, the mesh is not as accurate as some existing 3rd party products for P3D, because we felt there are more important things for customers. But look at Mt. Rainier instead, which we handcrafted for this showcase...
  • Ooops, we forgot to do a nicer rendition of the Himalayas, Indonesia, Africa, and "some" other parts of the world. But anyhow, we felt that customers wouldn't care that much about these regions...
  • Ooops, these super nice clouds that you see here in our showcase are only availabe when flying over the US, because we need especially crafted weather data for them, and our contract is exclusively with the NOAA. We felt it appropiate to provide you with FS2004 clouds for the rest of the world...
  • Ooops, we were a little short on airport data, so we decided it would be best to recycle FSX airport data once more. But never mind, LAX and SEA and Couchevel are really nicely crafted...
  • Ooops, we wanted to have an all new aerodynamic system with hundreds of calculated points on the aircraft, but this turned out to be really hard, and we felt it could get a little difficult for some customers to fly the 747 then, so we just kept to the FS2002 system. But look at this glider here, it has a total of 3 aerodynamic calculation points here...
  • Ooops, we wanted to have roads and accurate coastlines, but we felt that customers wouldn't appreciate it as much as we thought, so we decided to cut costs and only license road data for the US...
  • To be continued!

You see, you could still have your share, Mr. @John Venema

Interesting points Gerold.  Been following this thread.  What I’d really like to know is if Orbx is onboard the 2020 development team like PMDG is. If so then I can see them possibly diverting resources to produce quality product for the new sim.  Maybe even Asia and Africa.  It’s a wait and see game really.

Thank you John for your openess. Although I am a bit sad not to see OLC Asia and maybe even not OLC Africa, this is business. And iall the money ORBX poures into these projects have to make sense from a business perspective. Whith this I mean, if OLC Asia for example will not see the light before MSFS comes out, you might have a hard time to recover your investments. So, I do understand your way of thinking perfectly well and again thanks for letting us know. 

On 11/20/2019 at 6:51 PM, KVSandleben said:

You are going way overboard with your assumptions.

Orbx has always had a mixed portfolio. Yes, the times of LandClass based regional packages seem to be ending. But as long as people use P3D there is still a market for it.

And the rest of what ORBX does is Airport Sceneries. And those will not suddenly fall out of demand with MSFS. If at all the demand will probably rise.

Yes, I will be using P3D for as far as I can see. I'm in no rush to move over to MSFS and that's why I have been supporting ORBX all these years due to their global products. P3D would be fairly bland without ORBX. I have also purchased a number of UK airports which look fantastic. And that may explain my frustration after this announcement. I was very much looking forward to this product. The Cape Town area where I am currently stationed looked so true to life in the preview shots. I see they are about to release a Newcastle Airport scenery. I was born in South Shields so maybe I must just move back there! :D Jokes aside, I was hoping the African continent would receive some ORBX magic, but I guess it's probably out of their hands. The product looked ready in my eyes...

It's difficult to imagine how OpenLC Asia could NOT become a success. Just think about all the routes that go along there, be it south east Asia, or northern Russia, Japan, India... most of the world's economic power comes from Asia. And Asia is so ugly and bare of any enhancements. Even with MSFS coming around the corner, there's still a market for it. And it sure comes at a lesser production cost than TE products - think about the aerial images that want to be licensed for a TE product. 

1 hour ago, xuehua china said:

Very simply, if orbx does a good job in Asia, I will not immediately consider 2020 because I have invested too much effort and money in P3D. I hope to see the final answer to do or not to do. If I do it, I can continue to wait. If I don't do it, I don't have any illusions.

Exactly. Not everybody can afford a new rig for MSFS. If you take a look at the ridiculous amount of calculations necessary for the weather and aerodynamical system of MSFS, which obviously won't be done by Azure, but by your computer, you'll realize where we're going at.

3 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

究竟。并非每个人都能负担得起MSFS的新平台。如果您看一下MSFS的天气和空气动力系统所需的荒谬计算量,显然Azure不会完成这一切,但是您的计算机将使您明白我们要去的方向。

If orbx Asia really doesn't hope I don't mind updating the device, but I still hope to see the light.

2 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Lars, to be honest with you, having read all of your posts here, I have never seen such an opinionated, one sided rant than yours !!

I'm sorry. Yes, of course there are people who find pleasure in the TE series. There is more than one different simming style, of course. My rant was, indeed, a rant and very much opinionated.

Edit: I was dreaming with flying over OLC Asia for a long time now, which creates disappointment. "Who needs that" should be read as "I don't need that".

With MSFS very much back in the game, like many others here, I've started to be very picky about what ORBX I continue to buy. I've stopped buying scenery for XP11 because the haunting aridity of the XP VFR experience is not, in the end, compensated for by the glories of the increasingly resource-hungry TE stuff. I've gone back to the fun of FSX to while away my simming time till next year, and I had been hoping OLC Africa would come out. A last hurrah, so to speak, after more than a decade of flying the ORBX world.

Very disappointing. 

And I wonder if ORBX has been caught too much into the MSFS hype.

Not an LC issue but anyway, the MSFS terrain will btw never contain 1000s of custom made POIs, or powerlines or windfarms. Satelites have a hard time to see them so the AI will have nothing to work with.

I agree with others here, it will take a couple of years until MSFS, despite very impressing features, is mature, especially wrt 3rd party aircraft (incl helicopters), seasons and VR.

Meanwhile Microsoft has resumed support of FSX, P3D will come out with v5 next year and XPlane has apparenty somethig 'big' in the pipeline. 

Hello,

once again, the topic is turned from its subject to the new simulator.

I am well aware of the interest in it, which I share, however, it has nothing to do with

this topic, evidenced already by the statement that the open LC products are already delayed

by two years or more, long before it was mooted.

I think the points have been made, in some cases many times and that the topic has and will

continue to serve its purpose without further contributions.

Archived