Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Stillwater

2 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Perhaps you can make the pilot fly a detour over Eagle County and Telluride, Landon? To feed this forum should be a valid reason!

That would be nice. I have actually driven by both of those airports in the last year. I posted a shot of Telluride, but it was not a closeup as I was in my Jeep up on a mountain overlooking Telluride :D

Landon

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Perhaps you can make the pilot fly a detour over Eagle County and Telluride, Landon? To feed this forum should be a valid reason!

I think Telluride could be seen from the normal flight path and depending on the arrival route into Las Vegas even Bryce Canyon.

8 hours ago, John Heaton said:

OK here's a topical one from the past and for a second try - one that might be easier -  I took before I boarded

Concord at gate.jpg

ac19.JPG

The plane is slightly uncommon, and the flight must have been extraordinary.

Now we come to our task: To guess the airfield...

- Must have long runways

- It should be an Orbx one

- Must be the British Airways network

So I would guess... Melbourne?

3 hours ago, wolfko said:

I think Telluride could be seen from the normal flight path and depending on the arrival route into Las Vegas even Bryce Canyon.

From FL350 ? :D We shall see...we have been having lots of cloud cover in this region as of late. Spring has lots of volatile weather. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

From FL350 ? :D We shall see...we have been having lots of cloud cover in this region as of late. Spring has lots of volatile weather. 

apart from the clouds, you should see a 3 km runway from 10,5 km distance. Especially you, with your past military profession! :D

• 4 months later...

A brewery right at an airport? No that's what I call a great combination.

In Munich they have got the Air Bräu with a nice beer garden right at EDDM airport.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to Rodger - we found the thread - but he made it so easy

This is one I found that was taken some years ago - at an airport in the Orbx catalogue

where I bought it from - there is an obvious clue in the title;)

It was a Hire aircraft

7609UK.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you @Rob Abernathy to bring this challenging quest back on the table. As travel starts again, we might see some more here soon...

The brewery is easy to be found, but I still wonder which airfield has this brilliant infrastructure. Supply-wise it could be the home airfield of The Mule Team, but they are usually far more north from Redding...

• Like 1

I hope it is okay for Rob, if I give you a little hint.

The brewery closed down at its orihinal location in Bellingham and reopened again at the airport in question.

Edited by wolfko
  • Upvote 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:37 AM, John Heaton said:

This is one I found that was taken some years ago - at an airport in the Orbx catalogue

It was a Hire aircraft

7609UK.jpg

Bournemouth?

I guess there is "San Juan Airlines" written on the wall - then it must be Anacortes.

I suspected this earlier, because of the tanks in the first shot, but was not sure.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:37 PM, John Heaton said:

It was a Hire aircraft

7609UK.jpg

Knock -  Knock ?? 

the missing clue I referred to  - is the rego - if that helps

53 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Knock -  Knock ?? 

the missing clue I referred to  - is the rego - if that helps

I  tried looking up  that rego but can't make out enough of it to find something.

EDIT  Ok,  I think I have the rego as G-AXIO 1969 P28A Piper Cherokee.  Owner listed at Amersham but there's a lot of airports near there.  I guess EGLD?

And apparently no one knows the airport I put up pictures for either.  ^_^

49 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I  tried looking up  that rego but can't make out enough of it to find something.

EDIT  Ok,  I think I have the rego as G-AXIO 1969 P28A Piper Cherokee.  Owner listed at Amersham but there's a lot of airports near there.  I guess

And apparently no one knows the airport I put up pictures for either.  ^_^

good research Rob and description correct - in fact more than I knew

However if Amersham current rego - you should know - 2nd clue - pic was 1976

Sorry - not Denham

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 3:11 PM, John Heaton said:

maybe I'll try it again ??

Bought this Airport from Orbx - so it qualifies

I hired this aircraft on a trip to the country from a clue in the pic

Sorry I don´t have many english airports from Orbx (I was not too enthusiastic with the full region packs). So I can not make any qualified guess by the buildings.

• Like 1

Sheesh ---- to easy - especially when 2 of you co-operate - WW famous as the main aircraft

transport drome during WW11 - and it looks as if the original Buildings are still there and was

in use as a club house in 1977 - the time of the pic 

A little anecdote about that flight - being only a Aussie pilot and not at all familiar

with the regional airways rules - I was just swanning around for a couple of hours '

around the area West of WW - knowing that to the East was Heathrow and Windsor

and a one stage at around 2000' -  I got a view - directly under the plane  - a line of F111 aircraft

- I was over the famous American base of Greenham Common - famous for the anti-nuclear

demonstrations of the Cold War era :o

I thought afterwards - that if I had had a net full of bricks- I could have done some damage - 

and the Americans hadn't learned much from the disaster  at  Wickham Field -Pearl Harbour

DEC 6th 1941 :unsure:

• Like 1