Orbx airports visited in real life - a rolling story

Stillwater

Yes ’paulk’, it is Tenerife Sur airport(GCTS) from where I returned home after a relaxing week in fine conditions.

Looking forward to a new to guess entry... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Narita opened in 1978 (46 years ago) so I’ve ruled that out. Rodger guess of Haneda is the most logical, unless JAL is meant to confuse us thinking we are at a Japanese airport, but really we are not.

Confusing myself now so going to say Sydney. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Since the pic has been posted by John, my guess is Gold Coast Airport.🫣🤣

I agree ref Australia, although, not sure how long John has lived there.

Gold Coast - Brisbane would be a good guess, although, not sure JAL used to fly from there 45+ years ago.

Anyone assist here?

FYI - we came  to Australia 52 years ago and it's not there - nor is it Japan.

i travelled extensivly all over the World after that - so it is somewhere else

A clue to aircraft enthusiasts - note the 747 is an original 200.

I was on Qantas - and the aircraft was a smaller version of the 747 - cannot remember the number

Qantas only flew this aircraft on one particular route most of its short life

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

FYI - we came  to Australia 52 years ago and it's not there - nor is it Japan.

i travelled extensivly all over the World after that - so it is somewhere else

A clue to aircraft enthusiasts - note the 747 is an original 200.

I was on Qantas - and the aircraft was a smaller version of the 747 - cannot remember the number

Qantas only flew this aircraft on one particular route most of its short life

Hi John

From the new info supplied, I would now like to guess at LAX.

8 hours ago, paulk said:

I agree ref Australia, although, not sure how long John has lived there.

Gold Coast - Brisbane would be a good guess, although, not sure JAL used to fly from there 45+ years ago.

Anyone assist here?

I was not serious about Gold Coast Airport. It meant to be a joke.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

On second thoughts - It was on a Qantas flight- but on checking the dates - it was a buck standard 200

here is another pic that I might have taken at the time - iy was in the same batch of pics

H17.JPG

Edited by John Heaton

Posted (edited)

This time seriously I go for Vancouver or Anchorage, just because of the mountain range in the backdrop.

Edit: Nah, no zooming in, so the mountains are too cose.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I guessed Honolulu because of the Mountains, looks like we are all focusing on the mountains, it’s all good fun anyway. 😀

Edited by paulk
  • Like 2

There has been a good response and good ideas - I will leave it one more day before the final clue

However - it may help to know that this was my first time at this airport and It was a little surprise to me

that - although it was 24 year later - to see a Japanese aircraft on this field;)

• Like 1

Ok ! - Ok !- time to say that Paul got it right - just shows you youngsters have problems with

older airports ;)H05.JPG.d8da243ff7d199ba87d53a916e90e1da.JPG- and this pic shows Honolulu - in its ancient state 50 years ago

Was it called Honolulu back then ?

I have another pic that would be just as difficult - but not an Orbx one

• Like 1

That Japan Airlines comment pointed me away from Honolulu because I couldn't see any reason to say you were surprised to see it at the airport, as JAL 747s were regular visitors. 

5 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Ok ! - Ok !- time to say that Paul got it right - just shows you youngsters have problems with

older airports ;)H05.JPG.d8da243ff7d199ba87d53a916e90e1da.JPG- and this pic shows Honolulu - in its ancient state 50 years ago

Was it called Honolulu back then ?

I have another pic that would be just as difficult - but not an Orbx one

Hi John

Thanks for confirming that I must be old then 😀

My wife and I were married in Hawaii and I remember Honolulu airport well.

Really loved this picture round this time around. Happy for you to post another even if not Orbx.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, John Dow said:

That Japan Airlines comment pointed me away from Honolulu because I couldn't see any reason to say you were surprised to see it at the airport, as JAL 747s were regular visitors. 

Hi John - possibly because I was around on Dec 7th 1941 - although a little young - but mainly because

I had seen the Movie Tora -Tora - Tora recently - and so when I was at the airport - not far from Hickam Field

to see the rising sun emblem - on an aircraft There - tickled  the memory box somewhat

Just the way the mind works ------ I suppose! :)

Ok, here goes.  A little bit of a twist to how we always do this search.

I visited a place last week that had a listed Heliport.  I thought I'd post a picture of it and let y'all guess what is the closest Orbx released airport to this heliport.  🙂 Probably too easy but it'll get you looking.  :P

image.thumb.jpeg.ab1b101acef30ce575dca3ddd9748361.jpeg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I visited a place last week that had a listed Heliport.  I thought I'd post a picture of it and let y'all guess what is the closest Orbx released airport to this heliport. 

Hi Rob, it appears to me that you have visited the Redwood NP last week. And the closest Orbx airport (from my memory) would be Murray Field (KEKA)?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

You got it Gerold!  Beautiful area for sure.

Lovely! It was diffictult to guess because not directly from an airport, and not with characteristic views that may even be depicted in the Orbx scenery. But the coordinates helped a bit, as did your home location.

I have found something directly from an airport, certainly NOT close to my home location:

WUVjyoK.jpeg

• Like 1