Country Roads

Stillwater

Following our tours around 2 of the 3 sacred rocks in the Anangu lands...

... it is now time to follow Lasseter Highway back to the east. Navigation is easy, as there are not many roads out here.

aGcYXU5.jpg

So get off Ayers Rock airport, ...

JrEulTH.jpg

... across the campground. Under the tail of the Lancair you see a crossroad and a small parking lot?

ol4wJ6P.jpg

We enjoyed a cold morning at that parking lot with this view...

KYe820H.jpg

... before going on the road.

DDPQvoi.jpg

j8JSrIP.jpg

First stop: Curtin Springs. There is an OZx airstrip, but I skip it on this flight.

QhBUHGr.jpg

Nevertheless we enjoy the views of the roadhouse...

2kbsm1d.jpg

... and of the 3rd sacred mountain of the Anangu, Mt. Connor (you might have seen it on the sim screenshot).

qGsQZo1.jpg

Just north of Lasseter Highway there is a huge salt lake.

xG5OEnJ.jpg

IPYAfCN.jpg

Now navigation gets complicated: The first (and only) road to the left, Luritja Road at Angas Downs.

P4gEcEP.jpg

Some hours of driving later...

nWEMLY7.jpg

... (and significantly shorter flying time) ...

QsoFHn7.jpg

... we reach Kings Creek Station. The coach campground is just next to the runway - and I can say the OZx airstrip is 100 % accurate! I was totally overwhelmed. The only trouble: I could not take a picture from the driving truck, and we were too busy in the remaining daylight to walk back. So no real picture of the airstrip, sorry.

44lMQem.jpg

At least a slightly different impression of the place we stayed for the night.

BSFeMSP.jpg

You really had a great tour around the Red Centre Gerold.

I can remember Mount Conner from when I toured the area many years ago as well as the stop at Curtain Springs, indeed from what I can remember it was the only stop on that road then.

Fascinating viewing, keep them coming.:)

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Another great set Gerold looks like you had a grand time.

cheers

Iain

Be assured I had, Iain. Fascinating to see in real what we all can enjoy so similar in the sim.

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

You really had a great tour around the Red Centre Gerold.

I can remember Mount Conner from when I toured the area many years ago as well as the stop at Curtain Springs, indeed from what I can remember it was the only stop on that road then.

Fascinating viewing, keep them coming.:)

Thanks for the comments, Martyn. Mt. Conner ("Fooluru") is still a unique waypoint on the long road, and the Curtin Springs Wayside Inn is still the only stop on the Lasseter Hwy. Still run by the Severin family. When my daughters and me stood at the bar dicussing what to order, a young man behind the desk began to laugh. Tim was on "work&travel" from Germany and obviously enjoyed the little entertainment provided by us unintentionally...

1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

These are shots and pictures Gerold, I am enjoying these posts!!!!!!!!!  Some of Australia looks a lot like West Texas.

Thank you so much, John! I can believe the southern US desert areas have similarities to this area here.

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Wow!! The screenshots are really good, but the real life photos are overwhelming. It's such a beautiful landscape. And Kudos for staying on the wrong side of the road for so long... :D

Thanks for this enthusiastic comment, Lars. It was just a fantastic journey - I would not hesistate too long to recommend it to you.

Re "staying on the wrong side of the road": When we returned to Germany I was always looking the wrong directions when trying to cross a street. You quickly get used to it... :D

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Re "staying on the wrong side of the road": When we returned to Germany I was always looking the wrong directions when trying to cross a street. You quickly get used to it... :D

Tell me about it Gerold.:rolleyes:

Turn left or right and the wipers came on and trying to drive from the passenger seat was fun too!:wacko:

A few different road rules in Canada and the States, it took a long while to get used to doing a right hand turn on a red light when safe and I had a few cars give me a friendly toot to remind me.:D

The "Budget" sticker on the rear bumper (fender!!!!!) told them that Johnny Foreigner was behind the wheel.:o:(:lol:

WOW Gerold another juxtaposition set of marvelous captures both real and virtual bringing back memories of family travels there in 1985 - all five of us in a Landcruiser Troop carrier 1982 model - tent on roof rack with two extra spare tyres, water in jerry cans, small genset for lights/radios, kero stove and big eskies for food and other essentials, two fuel tanks, two batteries, two alternators, two aircons and two compressors.  In those days we could camp anywhere we liked mostly - indeed it was a shorter distance for us to travel, we only drove down from Arnhemland where we lived and back again after our explorations.

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was fantastic yet again Gerold!  Wow, you're very fortunate to have see all this, it's stunning.  Oh, great P3D shots too!

Thank you Jack. All just teasers for your virtual travels. Or, maybe, even for some guys here to enter real plannings?

18 hours ago, adambar said:

Fantastic set of shots and pics Gerold! :)  Looks like you had a wonderful holiday! :)

Thanks Adam. It was a wonderful time, especially as we did the tours with the entire family :wub:.

18 hours ago, musterpilot said:

A beautiful set of shots

John

Thank you John. I assume you may have comparable data on your HD... B)

18 hours ago, TerribleT said:

WOW Gerold another juxtaposition set of marvelous captures both real and virtual bringing back memories of family travels there in 1985 - all five of us in a Landcruiser Troop carrier 1982 model - tent on roof rack with two extra spare tyres, water in jerry cans, small genset for lights/radios, kero stove and big eskies for food and other essentials, two fuel tanks, two batteries, two alternators, two aircons and two compressors.  In those days we could camp anywhere we liked mostly - indeed it was a shorter distance for us to travel, we only drove down from Arnhemland where we lived and back again after our explorations.

Great stories and memories, TT. You seem to have had a much more intense outback feeling, and it still sounds impressive...

19 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Tell me about it Gerold.:rolleyes:

Turn left or right and the wipers came on :wacko:

I did that nearly a hundred times, you got me... :D

A few different road rules in Canada and the States, it took a long while to get used to doing a right hand turn on a red light when safe and I had a few cars give me a friendly toot to remind me.:D

You were lucky driving this way in the States, with all these relaxed drivers. Imagine this in continental Europe, or - even worse - in Germany. If you wait half a second in front of a green-turning light you will receive unfriendly sounds & views here :wacko:!

Johnny Foreigner was behind the wheel.:o:(:lol:

I did not know that term. Another lesson in the forum... ;)

Archived