SOMETHING DIFFERENT #8-3 : The life of Tioralak, artic bush pilot - Part 3 - Ellesmere to Baffin Island

jean marc

Something Different #8-3 : The life of Tioralak, artic bush pilot

Part 3 :  Sourthern Ellesmere, Devon Island, Baffin Island

For the beginning of the triphttps://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/174300-something-different-8-the-life-of-tioralak-artic-bush-pilot-part-1/

For the previous part 2https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/175289-something-different-8-the-life-of-tioralak-artic-bush-pilot-part-2-eastern-northern-greenland/

GRISE FJORD (Southern Ellesmere Island)

sTFSvlR.jpg

mcFM1q6.jpg

SamOZIk.jpg

u7XghcF.jpg

9D21nqp.jpg

tw4p7zb.jpg

1DKKZr2.jpg

Xt7LUk0.jpg

PFZqImQ.jpg

ELLESMERE & DEVON ISLAND FLIGHTS

CKQyCWc.jpg

QxzYvki.jpg

pygCTnv.jpg

G949ZEA.jpg

VZSkkTI.jpg

LH0KfJk.jpg

zMOVFEE.jpg

VZDIEqn.jpg

j8zItBl.jpg

pN9i9ny.jpg

8jvSmnb.jpg

POND INLET (North of BAFFIN ISLAND)

Eef8jcH.jpg

5R4AbxV.jpg

GolvZAn.jpg

JZi18hu.jpg

e9z0pLW.jpg

UHqopaE.jpg

YlpL1pU.jpg

lO7gq80.jpg

ldF0KT8.jpg

aD4hYAC.jpg

WspwPes.jpg

EVOneuN.jpg

PyKXhX7.jpg

VpVPMLq.jpg

ejQR7Ac.jpg

VvlOEzW.jpg

Tpc0LBa.jpg

DEVON ISLAND & BYLOT ISLAND, LANCASTER SOUND

pCnyHkW.jpg

DgRbMNe.jpg

4ajyaHk.jpg

FUJpugf.jpg

drhELap.jpg

58tc6aG.jpg

EKBWL72.jpg

bXjpCqM.jpg

6oYVO4U.jpg

2tbqoEj.jpg

l0bSXu2.jpg

0MtT2z2.jpg

kwd7V58.jpg

zg3xlJt.jpg

qUNM09Y.jpg

#156a

RB76YIn.jpg

... Flying South to Clyde River ... the starting point of the part 4...

#156b

5HC83jr.jpg

DLVUOyh.jpg

Hoping you will like the story  - Do not hesitate to leave any comments :-)  They are very encouraging !

The next parts (4 to 9) will go through the all Canadian Artic Land ... upto Alaska ... and Chukotka (NE Siberia) - meeting inuit native peoples all along as well as the Artic explorers main milestones... a very long story !

1IgRaQm.jpg

Hello Jean Marc,

This is really quite wonderful!  I know it would be a huge amount of work, but perhaps you could consider adding a bibliography, even a few citations to go along with your work.  I read a marvelous book dealing with this general area as part of a history course I took recently:  https://www.amazon.com/Gentleman-Adventurer-Edward-Beauclerk-Maurice/dp/0618773584

The result is that I daydream about flying to one of locations to take pictures for a scenery project. Just a dream, but a nice one.

Cheers

22 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Magnum opus JM

Stunning piece of work.

TTM

thank you very much TTM ... (and about the spitfire screenshots ... yes flying the A2A spitfire after a cold engine start O0 )

22 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Wow, that was very interesting and educational.  Great pictures and screenshots!!!!!!!!!!!!

so amazing landscapes, people and history in the Artic world ! thank you John :)

20 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Another A1 set of shots thanks

and it was hard to choose and to try to not be too long :P Glad you like the shots !!

18 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Another great adventure Jean Marc, put together very well and so much to learn here.

many thanks Jack ... Have you ever fly by there in the Artic ? so huge country to explore :)

18 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Hello Jean Marc,

This is really quite wonderful!  I know it would be a huge amount of work, but perhaps you could consider adding a bibliography, even a few citations to go along with your work.  I read a marvelous book dealing with this general area as part of a history course I took recently:  https://www.amazon.com/Gentleman-Adventurer-Edward-Beauclerk-Maurice/dp/0618773584

The result is that I daydream about flying to one of locations to take pictures for a scenery project. Just a dream, but a nice one.

Cheers

Your comment is greatly appreciated Larry. I need to look for this book by Beauclerk which seems really interesting ! Thank you

I read many books about artic for many years and my favorite ones are by Jean Malaurie, Knud Rassmussen, Peter Freuchen as well by PE Victor.

Some screenshots shown these books ... mostly in the next parts so we will see these sources. But almost no exact reference or citation as the story is totally fictive and the texts are mostly original - a few exception sometimes summary of text from wikipedia or universalis and so  - always modified to be shorter :)

5 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Jean Marc, I flew over it at maybe 35,000 feet once.

I have been very sensitive a few years ago, flying over Greenland at such altitude when going to Denver how the ice was less visible...much more rocky ... climatic change effects :-[

JM

Is that the Aerosoft Twin Otter #113, #114?

If so, is there a trick to getting the power [prop] levers to move?

Is there a lock somewhere?

I can move the throttles ok, but the prop levers don't budge.

& a respectful suggestion re your thesis - the Parts are so full of life's rich tapestry that I struggle to digest the volume of  detail.:)

Could you perhaps consider halving a "Parts" in the future so my slow brain can absorb the detail in 1 sitting.??

I  probably have AAD.

So Part 4 becomes Part 4 & Part 5?

Thanks

TTM

On 10/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, TigerTigerM said:

Is that the Aerosoft Twin Otter #113, #114?

If so, is there a trick to getting the power [prop] levers to move?

Is there a lock somewhere?

I can move the throttles ok, but the prop levers don't budge.

Hello TTM, yes Extended Twin Otter - the levers are moving ok for me : from the upper deck by the mouse but not so easlily, and the best would be to have a twin throttle yoke

(I have just bought the Honeycomb flight control and I will probably look for the Honeycomb Throttle Quadrant)

FYXxtpK.jpg

On 10/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, TigerTigerM said:

& a respectful suggestion re your thesis - the Parts are so full of life's rich tapestry that I struggle to digest the volume of  detail.:)

Could you perhaps consider halving a "Parts" in the future so my slow brain can absorb the detail in 1 sitting.??

I  probably have AAD.

So Part 4 becomes Part 4 & Part 5?

I have already 9 parts (almost all the screenshots are already done with included pictures and most of the texts - I started 4 months ago !) and I think more than 9 parts  would be too long to follow...

I know there are (too) many details and things to read but so many things to tell about artic 8) And surely most people do not read all (maybe a bit boring) and just look the screenshots :-[

maybe an useful map link for anyone who plan to fly in this beautiful area  (of course it needs to have ftx global+vector+open lc to have good landscape details)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=48.2586125,-121.610203611&chart=1&zoom=3

Also great to have littlenavmap which is a great freeware: see below the flying map example :

bac4lfy.jpg

flight of part 4 coming soon :) here is already a view :

SPVpXdZ.jpg

Well, I finally remembered to look this great post up Jean Marc.:rolleyes:

Very interesting to look and read with a great selection of photos and your screenshots.:)

I never realised there were camels here years ago and it was interesting to read about them and the fact of how different the temperatures were there 3 to 4 million years ago.:huh:

21 hours ago, jean marc said:

maybe an useful map link for anyone who plan to fly in this beautiful area  (of course it needs to have ftx global+vector+open lc to have good landscape details)

here is the right link to go to Baffin Island at the place of the last screenshot and map of #16

https://skyvector.com/?ll=67.34811304422254,-64.326232902953&chart=301&zoom=4

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Well, I finally remembered to look this great post up Jean Marc.:rolleyes:

Very interesting to look and read with a great selection of photos and your screenshots.:)

I never realised there were camels here years ago and it was interesting to read about them and the fact of how different the temperatures were there 3 to 4 million years ago.:huh:

Happy you read it Martyn !

Amazing indeed the all changes of climate and animals on Earth for millions of years ...

....and that camels have a very long history in many places on our planet :lol: 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived