USA Airport Map required

John York

I use a program called. Co-Pilot Pro.  It's supposed to be linked with the flight simulator, but I don't have it linked. It's on a different computer. But it does have a map that shows just about all of the airports, as well as VORs and NDBs, at least the ones in FS.  It is really handy for flight planning since you can draw a line between any two airports and get distance (NM), and heading (mag). 

That said, yes, both VFRmap and Skyvector are essential. Note especially the airport lookup function in Skyvector; it gives a lot of information, including runways, comm frequencies, l or r patterns, and often the Airport Diagram (printable).

Ken

Hi John for American Airports I use Airnav.com . Which  I use on my iPad . It can show Airports by State as well, plus it shows all the different though small pictures of said Airports with all the details of the Airport and a basic diagram of the runways. Hope that helps. Meant to say if you select a State it then comes up with all the Airports in that State and then you can select individual airports which gives you all the details of that airport. Derek.

Dadtom is right, AirNav is also very useful.  I use all of these at some point in most of my flights.  I have a mount for my tablet  on my yoke, and open tabs for VFRmap, and two tabs for Skyvector showing the departure and destination airports so I can flip between them as needed AirNav is useful in finding the location of various FBO operators like Atlantic Aviation, Signature, etc.  This is part helpful when using PilotEdge along with ORBX scenery.  On leaving the runway, say at KPSP, I can ask the controller for taxi to Signature Aviation, on so on.

These online resources are great, and they all provide different but complimentary info. And they're free.  

Also, use the "ORBX Freeware and Payware Combined" map.  If you don't have the link I'll send it from my main computer later.  While it doesn't have all the U.S. Airports, it has many of the most interesting ones.

Ken

Ok - I've got both Sky Vector and AirNav now thanks DadTom and KenQ for that information.  I can see from the brief look at these that they are going to be very useful as I plan my flights for the future. 

John, if you're looking for free charts this FAA site is great, has all Approach/Departures and all instrument plates for every US airport that has at least 1 instrument approach. All downloadable as PDF at no charge:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/search/

Hope this helps,

Gerald

Hi John glad you liked Airnav and Sky Vector but be careful of Vector, it’s great for planning flights but you have to be careful that you don’t actually submit the flight as it will come up as an actual flight which is a no no. Don’t get me wrong it is very good. If I were you I would watch some videos of it. Q8 Pilot is very good. Derek.

10 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Ken. Just checked out that Co Pilot Pro and it seems to geared more for car navigation than Airports is that right or have I got the wrong web page. Derek.

Hi Derek.

Here is a link.  I don't know if this is still current or available, or how useful it is with P3D. 

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?205313-CoPilot-Pro

Ken

Hi JohnB.

I've also been using PlanG for years and it is very good.  However, some of the suggestions here also have a lot of merit and I'm going to be hard put to it to find which I ever like best!

Hi John. Another Airport guide i use though it’s only for the state of Washington and it’s a small book I have on my iPad, not sure if it can be installed anywhere else and it’s called Washington State Airport Reference Guide. There are loads of airports in there and that also has loads of information in it plus if you are after a certain Airport you can click the code and it will take you straight to that airports page. It’s old as it came out in 2007 but very good. Not sure if it’s free or I might even have found it online through my iPad and installed it that way as just checked on my iPad the book part and it didn’t come up with anything. Derek.

Thanks Derek.

I've got everything I need now and I think its going to take the rest of my life to use all you kind folks suggested!

All the best

Archived