Global Base Pack and P3D V4.5 HF2

GregSwiss

Hello ORBX Team

Are there any findings already whether the HotFix 2 is solving P3Ds Problem with the Global Base Pack installed in a library or is this still in verification? In case it is solved any idea when you will allow the Installation into a library again?

Cheers
Greg

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Greg,

We currently have a task open internally to determine whether any issues still exist with Global Base installed into a library. If we determine all issues are resolved, you can look forward to the restriction sim install only restriction being lifted.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Josh Koz

Hi @GregSwiss,

We've had a few tasks that have taken our priority over this recently however it's still high up in our To-Dos. The reason it's taken longer than expected is Orbx Central doesn't distinguish between various hotfix versions of the same simulator. We've needed to expand the requirements so that users on HF1 that haven't updated won't be affected.

Im losing my mind here.  I'm late to the party but finding a number of anomalies with orbx after the Central update and the P3d hot fix.  Im missing autogen ,trees coastlines in various areas all over the globe.  Is there a general warning post of these current findings.  I don't know what to do...HELP!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Doug

I had to do a fresh installation from scratch (Win 10, P3D) due to some hardware-changes and I have taken this opportunity to keep P3D root free from any third party software. It was quite a huge effort to get each and every package self-contained outside of P3D root and added via XML. Now I don't want to ruin all this effort with installing Global Base into P3D root and having P3D files overwritten. This has nothing to do with space.

You can name me af fool, but this is the motivation for my inquiry :-)

Cheers,

Greg

7 hours ago, GregSwiss said:

Now I don't want to ruin all this effort with installing Global Base into P3D root and having P3D files overwritten. This has nothing to do with space.

It is still my understanding and I could very well be wrong, that if and when it is possible to install Global base outside the root sim folder, it will still be a default texture replacement and indeed overwrite core simulator files, so if this is the case I personally would much prefer it installed to the root sim folder.

Hi Doug

My understanding was that exactly this is not going to happen anymore with the XML-method and having placed all libs outside of the P3D-root:

15 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

it will still be a default texture replacement and indeed overwrite core simulator files,

If you are right,  then it doesn,t make a difference where to place the files indeed.

Cheers,

Greg

Hello Greg,

as I am sure you know, the "xml method" allows developers to make P3D read files in the "xml" installation

instead of the respective default file, thus not overwriting them but overruling them.

It has the advantage of not interfering with the files installed by the P3D installer but the disadvantage

of doubling the storage space required.

It is this process that was found to be faulty in the case of Global Base and had to be fixed by Lockheed Martin.

It has been fixed but not yet been successfully tested and research continues.

Please note that no other developer has tried this method on such a product and that when installed in the

conventional way, it works perfectly.

There seems to be no real advantage in placing the Global Base files outside the P3D root folder because

they are a set of texture replacements that 99.9% of customers will never want to disable and be faced by

the default textures again.

There does seem to be a real disadvantage, in that the disk storage space requirement is doubled.

Hello Nick

Everything you are writing is absolutely correct.

But to be honest I do not care about disk storage space.

The real disantvantage to me is that with the conventional method P3D core files get overwritten (and of course in this way installed third party files get overwritten with each and every P3D content and/or scenery update).

To put it exaggeratedly, this could end up in an endless loop overwriting each others files. So the pure strategy is to have P3D and third party products separated and self contained.

But I didn't want to debate on principles and I would like to apologize if this was the Impression, my only intention was to ask whether the devs already have a roadmap and whether a litte bit more pro-active communcation (expectation management) on such issues could take place.

Cheers,

Greg

I can tell you that they are still working on the completely ironclad solution and that I

would hope that until that is found, it will not be possible to use Orbx Central to install

Global Base outside the simulator.

In short, the road map has been there from the start but there have been holes in that

road that no one expected.

I agree about the pro-active communication but sometimes the focus is on development

and communication can fall by the wayside.

It is a subject that we have discussed internally on very many occasions.:)

Archived