TE Washington / Oregon texture file cleanup

atosser

Hi there,

I chose to download these scenery files to a local library instead of directly into the custom scenery folder. I noticed that the texture folder, for example in 'Orbx_C_US_Oregon_TE_Orthos', still contains JPG files in addition to PNG and DDS. Same applies to Washington. However the TE GB scenery conversion (prior to Orbx Central ever being available for the Mac OS), had a conversion and cleanup script. The latter appears to have removed all the JPG files from the texture folder.

Am I safe to delete all JPG files from the Oregon (and Washington) orthos texture folder? I understand that the scenery downloads as JPG files, but conversion creates DDS. That being the case the JPG files should be superfluous? Not sure why they're still there, but  if I can get rid of them without destroying the scenery, then I'll gladly save the space.

Thank you

Also noticed in the Oregon orthos texture folder, there are 20,699 JPG files but only 20,623 DDS. I believe these figures should match if conversion was successful. This being the case is there an easy way of running the conversion manually without downloading again, on a Mac?

By comparison, the Washington texture folder contains the exact same number of JPGs and DDS files (19,650).

I suggest initially that you seperate the jpg files and drop them into a new temporary folder on the same drive as the 2 TE's are installed. Then you can always drop them back into the installed TE's if you get problems. However, I would initially say that removing the jpgs would not disturb or corrupt you installed TE's, but always best to err on the side of caution.

You are the second person to say that there are still jpgs left in your orthos folders after installation om Mac so would ask @Nick Cooper if this topic could be addressed in the Orbx Central forum.

Regarding the difference in numbers of jpg/dds files I suggest before you do any removing of jpgs that you open Orbx Central and click on Oregon, then scroll down the right hand page of the product until you see  Options. Then click on Verify Files and let it run it's course. Then after it is completed check the numbers again.

It appears there are installation problems possibly only relative to some users of Mac.

Many thanks Jon. I tend to have a 'removed scenery' folder for such purposes, although usually use that for complete temporary removal of entire packages. Makes sense to do as you suggest.

I'm just downloading the SD versions of both (which are no cost with the HD version), and will try with those. I understand they don't require any conversion after download. But the 'verify' feature sounds like it would identify any potential issues in any case, so thanks for the suggestions.

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @atosser,

You should be fine to remove the jpeg files from the product and perform a verify files. Orbx Central uses a conversion cache to determine what files have been converted and which haven't to avoid having to re download the jpeg files.

Archived