Advice please on Orbx Central 4.0 and symbolic links

westbros

Operating system:  Windows 10

Simulator:  Prepar3D v4.4

Screenshot:  

Issue:  Hi. I am currently still using FTX Central 3.3.9.2 and have held off on updating to Orbx Central 4.0 because of the issues that many were having. I currently have my Orbx installed inside the main P3D installation on my C drive which is a 500 GB SSD. However it is taking up space, and I would like to move my Orbx files to my 2 TB HDD using a symbolic link. I have Global Base, Vector, open LC Europe,  England region, Trees, Light Configurator and a few airports. My first question is whether I should create the symbolic link before I upgrade to OC 4.0? Are there any issues with OC 4.0 and symbolic links? Secondly, am I right in saying that Base and Vector should remain on my C drive? If so, how do I keep these on C when creating the symbolic link on my D drive for everything else? Is there anything else that should remain on my C drive? Apologies if these are questions which are answered elsewhere, but it is quite confusing and I need to be certain that I am not going to screw anything up before I make any changes. Many thanks. 

By the way, I have tried to find my Central log file, but this doesn't seem to exist, maybe because I am still using 3.3.9.2??

OK, but I recall reading that many people had problems with this and that it messed things up. Or has this bug now been fixed? What about Base and Vector? It would be good if someone, ideally from Orbx, could give a definitive answer and tell me what I should be doing, and ideally how to do it. As I said, it is confusing and I don't want to screw up my P3D installation which is currently working perfectly. 

Adrian

Hi Nick.

So does Orbx Central migrate everything over to the new drive? What about Base and Vector, as I think I read that these are problematic? Are the migration problems from when Orbx Central was first released now fixed? Thanks.

Adrian

Archived