Orbx Central failing to remove orthos/textures/xxx.jpg. OSX Mojave

Teddit

Hi!

I have dabbled with X-Plane 10 and 11 for sometime now, even mapping out 1/2 of the globe in ortho4xp, looking to expand into Europe, hence recently purchasing TE for Great Britain.

Appreciate that you may have dealt with my issue before, but I have perused the forum and have read various request/topics and can't seem to get direction on what is to occur.

The sim is not reporting any issues when flying around the United Kingdom, which is great.  However my issue good sirs, is that once I have successfully download, installed & verified files for TE Great Britain North, Central and South via Orbx Central.  Each individual orthos/textures folder are retaining the .jpg files?? Even after Verifying them 3 times over.

Am I free to remove all the .jpg file manually (bar the remaining water transition.png and other.png)?  As cumulatively, the remaining .jpgs are taking up roughly 64GB of space that I could use for more Orbx purchases ;)  I have the HDD capacity (8TB in fact) so I am not short of space and am running the folders symlink'd to my main X Plane 11 folder.

And correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that the .dds is the file that the program 'looks to', effectively leaving the .jpg to just sit there?

Let me know if you need any further clarification. 

Cheers lads.

Tedd

Very odd. What OS are you on...Windows? The conversion process converts the jpgs to dds in these TEGB addons, leaving you with png and dds files only. For you to have jpgs left in your Orthos folders is indeed most unusual. I cannot officially make a suggestion, so I will unofficially suggest that maybe you could take all the jpgs from just one of the TEGB Orthos folders and cut and paste them to a temp New Folder on the same Disk that the installed TEGBs are on. This will be a quick method as the files will remain of the same disk for transfer back to the Orthos folder if necessary. Once removed run XP and choose somewhere to fly in that region and see if all works OK or if you get an error message or crash to desktop etc.

Please ensure you do NOT remove the png files.

If it doesn't work then put the jpgs back and run XP again to confirm no error messages.

I will then forward this problem to the Orbx central support forum

7 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Very odd. What OS are you on...Windows? The conversion process converts the jpgs to dds in these TEGB addons, leaving you with png and dds files only. For you to have jpgs left in your Orthos folders is indeed most unusual. I cannot officially make a suggestion, so I will unofficially suggest that maybe you could take all the jpgs from just one of the TEGB Orthos folders and cut and paste them to a temp New Folder on the same Disk that the installed TEGBs are on. This will be a quick method as the files will remain of the same disk for transfer back to the Orthos folder if necessary. Once removed run XP and choose somewhere to fly in that region and see if all works OK or if you get an error message or crash to desktop etc.

Please ensure you do NOT remove the png files.

If it doesn't work then put the jpgs back and run XP again to confirm no error messages.

I will then forward this problem to the Orbx central support forum

Hi Jon.  My thoughts exactly!

I have run some basic arithmetic, taking the whole contents of the ortho folders, adding them up, minus the relative .png files and am left with perfect half .dds and half .jpg.  

So deleting or moving them seems logical.

For your information

• I have X-Plane 11 running on OSX Mojave.
  • X-Plane 11 sits on its own individual HDD.
  • Orbx with a number of other zz_Orthos sits on it individual HDD (the 8TB one). See attached screenie.

Could it be the incorrect naming convention through Orbx Central? As in I have not labelled it correctly?

Because if you refer to attached screenie #2, the install has created a seperate  directory i.e. xp11/TrueEarth Great Britain Central/Orbx.....
Which does my 'OCD' the world of no good :), not having the folders sit properly snug under the X-Plane Scenery/Custom Scenery/......

591437183_ScreenShot2019-10-09at9_33_06am.png.0b446fcfef23f531b3d67ff6795d8907.png

1. X-Plane 11 on seperate HDD

966094428_ScreenShot2019-10-09at9_33_43am.png.0bcbad5329da795208b531159e3e768a.png

2. Orbx and other orthos sitting on seperate HDD.

481069388_ScreenShot2019-10-09at9_34_00am.png.aa06efc57239d4e470502f8d2742abb6.png

3. Library settings in Orbx Central.

Tedd

@Nick Cooper Hi Nick, Can you move this post to the Orbx Central forum please for the guys there to look at and respond.

The OP uses OSX Mojave and used Orbx Central for his install of all 3 TEGB addons. The problem is that he has shown visual evidence that his Otho/terrain folders contain both jpg and dds files after conversion as shown in pic 2, and that the jpg files were not removed after successful conversion/install. (He also has the correct png files)

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Orbx Central failing to remove orthos/textures/xxx.jpg. OSX Mojave
Guest Josh Koz

Hi @Teddit

Orbx Central should delete the jpg files after all conversions have completed and the installation is finished. Inside your /Volumes/X-Plane Scenery/Custom Scenery/xp11/TrueEarth Great Britain Central/Orbx_A_GB_Central_TrueEarth_Custom/ directory will be a convert.json file. This file is used by Orbx Central to know which files have been converted and which haven't. When running a 'verify files' Orbx Central will read this file when scanning to avoid having to redownload all jpg files again.

If the convert.json file is present you should be fine to first perform a 'verify files' then remove the jpg files.

Archived