Orbx Central installs layers backwards

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  Windows 7

Simulator:  P3Dv4.5hf

Screenshot:  

Issue:  Orbx layers are installed backwards/reverse alphabetical order

JtFX4tY.jpg

Oim25Vf.jpg

K2U0zkA.jpg

xxjZusv.jpg

Items #265 and #266 seem to be out of place, or shouldn't be there in the first place.

Thanks for any advice.  I tried re-ordering (Orbx entries only), based on alphabetic order, but Central re-arranged them again.  Also, you can see that the insertion points are correct--item #197 is the last non-Orbx addon, Sydney_LC.  Also, the number of so-called Orbx Libraries entries, four, is puzzling.  Why are there so many?  There used to be only one, ORBXLibs.

Stew

Hi Stew,

Could you please upload your central.log file? You can find it at %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log.

This will allow us to see exactly what is going on when Central is sorting your scenery.

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Also, the number of so-called Orbx Libraries entries, four, is puzzling.  Why are there so many?  There used to be only one, ORBXLibs.

When installing into the simulator, the Orbx Libraries used to overwrite some core files (lclookup.bgl, etc). These locations already had default entries in the scenery library, such as Scenery\Global, Scenery\BASE, etc - we didn't need to add any additional entries.

With add-on packages, the simulator will use our version of the files instead of loading the simulator versions (which means we don't need to overwrite them). But, we need to make new scenery library entries as we are loading the files from different locations, not the default in-simulator location.

Hi!

You're currently using the standard layering system in Orbx Central which won't layer scenery alphabetically like in FTX Central 3, but instead ensures they're correctly grouped and lets Prepar3D layer them (which is usually the order they're installed in). Your Orbx products should still work okay with this layering.

If you wish to have them be alphabetically layered, you can try the new Advanced Layering system available under Settings, Insertion Point.

Hi, Mitchell.

Thanks for the explanation.  I have to admit that the non-alphabetical order puzzled me and caused some concern.  I didn't want to install my remaining Orbx airports until this oddity was straightened out.  Now that I know this is a standard method of layering for Orbx Central, I will leave it alone and install the rest of the airports.  I have flown a couple of flights since first noticing this situation in the scenery library and have seen no problems, so far, anyway.  I'm not worried that the entries are not in alphabetical order (the regions are grouped correctly, of course), as long as there aren't any problems, so I'll leave well enough alone. 

Thanks again for the clarification.  On second thought, however, I notice the Tongass Fjords entries are slightly misplaced, so I'll try to correct that, but leave everything else alone.

Stew

Just a follow-up on the installation of Orbx airports.  Orbx Central has correctly placed them above the full fat regions, as expected; but they, too, have been installed in reverse alphabetical order.  Seems Orbx Central needs to be taught what ascending alphabetical order means.  <_<  Until the kinks have been worked out of the Advanced Layering System, I'm leaving everything as is.

Hi!

On 9/26/2019 at 5:56 AM, Stewart Hobson said:

Just a follow-up on the installation of Orbx airports.  Orbx Central has correctly placed them above the full fat regions, as expected; but they, too, have been installed in reverse alphabetical order.  Seems Orbx Central needs to be taught what ascending alphabetical order means.  <_<  Until the kinks have been worked out of the Advanced Layering System, I'm leaving everything as is.

This should still work correctly, although I can understand how it may appear strange. Once Advanced Layering becomes stable in the future, I'd recommend trying it out - this will make the scenery library appear alphabetical once again.

I'll mark this topic as resolved. If you encounter any issues in future with the layering system or have any further questions, feel free to make a new topic.

8 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

Hi!

This should still work correctly, although I can understand how it may appear strange. Once Advanced Layering becomes stable in the future, I'd recommend trying it out - this will make the scenery library appear alphabetical once again.

I'll mark this topic as resolved. If you encounter any issues in future with the layering system or have any further questions, feel free to make a new topic.

Thanks, Mitchell.  I haven't encountered any problems with the airports I have visited so far, and do not expect to with the rest.  Their upside down order obviously shouldn't make any difference.  Thanks again for your assistance.

Stew

Archived