Orbx Central file Called Saturn.exe

badapple

I recently downloaded and installed Orbx Central.  Looks like a fantastic upgrade over the previous FTX Central version.  Job well done.

However;  While on a long flight I was looking at my task manager for programs running in the background since installing Orbx Central.  To my amazement I saw a program running called  Saturn.exe.

I was researching Saturn.exe on my system and notice it is running from the Orbx Central folder.   With the task manager I tried to stop it from running but it continues to run regardless.

I researched Saturn.exe on the internet and found that there is ransomware called Saturn.exe.

I am not saying that ransomware was installed during my install of ORBX central.  Maybe Saturn.exe is part of the Orbx Central program.

Two questions:

1.  Is "Saturn.exe" a legitimate file for Orbx Central?

2. If it is legit, is it wise to name a file for a known ransomware file?

Just asking.

Thanks

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Guest Josh Koz

I can confirm that Saturn.exe process you've found is a worker process for Orbx Central that handles product installation, downloading etc. The 'Saturn' name is used internally and in turn, results in the bundled process named 'Saturn.exe'. We've used this name internally before the Saturn ransomware had been discovered.

We have a task internally to rename this worker process to include orbx-central within it's name to provide transparency to users regarding this process's purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 6:29 PM, Josh Koz said:

I can confirm that Saturn.exe process you've found is a worker process for Orbx Central that handles product installation, downloading etc. The 'Saturn' name is used internally and in turn, results in the bundled process named 'Saturn.exe'. We've used this name internally before the Saturn ransomware had been discovered.

We have a task internally to rename this worker process to include orbx-central within it's name to provide transparency to users regarding this process's purpose.

My security software is flagging it as the Saturn ransomware which is causing me problems. Any timetable on when this will be renamed?

Archived