A Serious Suggestion for ORBX Central

JohnVulcan

I am making this suggestion as I'm sat here waiting for the Oregon V1.1.0 update to finish and to be honest I'm pretty fed up as I was hoping to be flying now not waiting. The point is that because TrueEarth Updates can take anywhere between a few minutes and several hours depending on how many files have to be replaced a user will no idea how long a particular update is going to take until it is already underway. So, once the installer has assessed how many files will need to be updated, could we please include a check question before proceeding if this is going to exceed say 10 GB for instance? If I'd known it was going to be 47.9 GB today I'd have kicked this off at a different time and be flying now. I'm sure such a forewarning would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

Guest Josh Koz

Hi John,

I agree in that prompting to continue with an update if it's quite large would be extremely useful. The issue we're currently facing with this is that updates will be different sizes for different users depending on the current version they have installed and if any files are missing or changed that would need to be re-downloaded. This means the installed scenery will first need to be scanned to build up a list of files from which to calculate the download size.

I've added this task to our roadmap to have this functionality included in a future update.

Thanks Josh, good to hear this has been added to the Central roadmap.

Yes, the check message can only be issued once Central has determined the size of an individual update, which is what I was trying to say in my original message. Also, perhaps the message trigger size could be added to Central Settings making user settable, as clearly a user with a slow connection is going to want to select a much smaller size compared with someone with a fast connection, as the real measure of cause is time not size. Unless Central can calculate the approximate update time that is?

Regards,

John

Archived