Austin Meyer on the Honeycomb Yolk

Blackrat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I received my Honeycomb yoke two days ago and have been using it in P3DV4, X-Plane 11 and FS 2. I generally agree with Austin's comments, that it is a definite upgrade from the Saitek yoke (I gave mine away years ago when I bought a GoFlight Technologies yoke). The yoke does not have as nice a feel as the GoFlight yoke, but considering the price difference the Honeycomb is the better value. The design of the Honeycomb is outstanding and answers all the problems with the Saitek yoke. Attachment to a table is very easy and the mount is solid. All the switches have a high quality feel and the number and layout of the switches on the yoke itself are better than any other yoke. The yoke movement is very smooth and allows fine control of the aircraft.

Now to the minor criticisms: The fore and aft movement of the yoke requires more force than I like, mandating use of the elevator trim switches, which is easy to do if you set them up on the yoke. The switches used for elevator, rudder and aileron trim require more force to activate than I prefer, but that does mean you are unlikely to accidentally change the trim.

X-Plane and P3D (if you get the software from Aerosoft) have mapped the Honeycomb switches, although neither seem to have the light and magneto switches properly mapped. I contacted X-Plane and they are aware of the problem. It is easy to fix the key bindings for the switches, just confusing if you expect them to be plug and play.

I am using the yoke with a Saitek Flight Multipanel and throttle until the Honeycomb throttle comes out. They work well together and allow you to change some of the yoke switches to other functions.

Archived