British slang

Jack Sawyer

8 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol: that’s very good!

The sheer volume of posts about an archaic term stands as mute testimony to the current boredom of snail speed downloading.

Probably better to go to a library (place with books) and check out all the volumes of Gibbons "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire".

My 19 year old cat, by the way, still responds to being called "Kit".

6 minutes ago, lawrence aldrich said:

The sheer volume of posts about an archaic term stands as mute testimony to the current boredom of snail speed downloading.

Probably better to go to a library (place with books) and check out all the volumes of Gibbons "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire".

My 19 year old cat, by the way, still responds to being called "Kit".

I personally think it’s informative and entertaining.  And besides, forums and the Internet are the new modern libraries.   When I was a kid, long before the Internet I’d practically live in my local library.  I know I can’t get global posts like this at my library, unless I use their Internet :) 

51 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I personally think it’s informative and entertaining.  And besides, forums and the Internet are the new modern libraries.   When I was a kid, long before the Internet I’d practically live in my local library.  I know I can’t get global posts like this at my library, unless I use their Internet :) 

I was a kid long before you were.

I've also read Gibbons.

It was slightly more boring than this thread, so I'll concede the point to you.

Thank you for your interest.    :rollmyeyes:

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

It a pleasant change from some of the serious stuff we find here.

I wouldn't want though to have just found the thread and had to read it right from the top...I've been following from the start.

10 minutes ago, wain71 said:

Just a few from my time in the Army.. UK.. 

Gat.. Personal rifle 

Gongbag.. Sleeping bag 

Fart sack.. Bed 

Kit just meant to us anything we were issued.. 

Not bored yet.. Some replies have made me grin.. 

Brilliant stuff Wain, your slang is so interesting to me.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:42 AM, lawrence aldrich said:

I was a kid long before you were.

I've also read Gibbons.

It was slightly more boring than this thread, so I'll concede the point to you.

Thank you for your interest.    :rollmyeyes:

Lawrence, I’m sorry you feel this way but insulting my thread is not very nice.  Have I ever insulted you or anyone here?  No.  “Slightly more boring than this thread”, if that’s the case then I would politely ask you to refrain from posting on my post.  

I don’t understand your passive aggressive reaction to my post.  Do you have a problem with me?  If so PM me.

In any case, I personally wish you all the happiness in life.

4 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Lawrence, I’m sorry you feel this way but insulting my thread is not very nice.  Have I ever insulted you or anyone here?  No.  “Slightly more boring than this thread”, if that’s the case then I would politely ask you to refrain from posting on my post.  

I don’t understand your passive aggressive reaction to my post.  Do you have a problem with me?  If so PM me.

In any case, I personally wish you all the happiness in life.

Sorry jack!

In the future I'll refrain from trying to use humor in any form when the conversation involves you.

One has to be careful around here . ;D

9 minutes ago, lawrence aldrich said:

use humor in any form when the conversation involves you

Again, the passive aggressive response.  I understand humor Lawrence, my comics are all about humor, but saying "It was slightly more boring than this thread" does not come across as humor in any way at all to me.  It was condescending and rude, I'm sorry you felt it was that way.

Have a pleasant day sir.

Probably best we don't start on cockney rhyme... people would get completely lost.

Dearly beloved becomes trouble & strife

Let's 'ave a butchers means to take a look at something

The beginning of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels had me barely able to keep up.

3 hours ago, Mickel said:

Probably best we don't start on cockney rhyme... people would get completely lost.

Dearly beloved becomes trouble & strife

Let's 'ave a butchers means to take a look at something

The beginning of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels had me barely able to keep up.

Sometime last year I researched this and was astonished by the cleverness of the people there who do this.  And if I remember correctly isn’t it in a few small blocks of each other?

Archived