We’re listening - Central v4.0.6 released

1 hour ago, Jock7 said:

Hello All,

I have good news this morning I moved over to Central 4.0.6 this morning and after having to revert to the old FTX3 what a difference. No doubt there is still some issues to be worked out. I tried three flights this morning Las Vegas The strip, Southampton and Prague (All have 3rd party sceneries) and they were  outstanding. I have much more to check  and it will take me forever. Glad to see the AEC tool working. When I purchase new sceneries from Orbx I will be installing them into the sims and not to another drive.  Many thanks to the team and Ben  for getting Central to where it is. If I see any problems  on my travels I will be in touch once more.

You maybe are the only lucky one, even with the newest version. Glad for you.

I do sincerely hope ORBX is still listening to the myriad of problems most users still have and actively working on them. There's a new week starting tomorrow.

Ed

Thanks Ed but I still think there will be problems when I check other cities, have checked Brisbane, Canberra and Milton Sound with no problems. There is one or two little niggles which have to be ironed out. But I am very pleased with this Central than the first one which was unfit for use and I went back to the old Control.

Until we have found a permanent solution, the workaround is simple. If you have installed Orbx Global BASE using the add-on package method (i.e., installed it into a library in Orbx Central), then you will need to install it into the simulator directory as well and therefore overwriting the default textures. This can either be done by installing Global BASE in FTX Central v3, or by clicking uninstall in Orbx Central, then installing it again in Orbx Central using v4.0.6 or above.

So the exact procedure is to uninstall Global Base ONLY, and then re-install it into the P3Dv4 sim directory, not back into the library, correct? 

2 hours ago, RobC said:

So the exact procedure is to uninstall Global Base ONLY, and then re-install it into the P3Dv4 sim directory, not back into the library, correct? 

The main issue with the "solution" given above is that the majority of users uninstalled FTX Central 3 when they installed the new ORBX Central (as originally strongly recommended during ORBX Central's installation to avoid issues for having two central applications doing similar things), and with this one -ORBX Central- you cannot uninstall Global BASE. When the OP said "clicking uninstall in ORBX Central", they were making a mistake because there is not such menu in ORBX Central.

So, for this being really a workaround, it is necessary to have complete instructions on how to re-install FTX Central 3 again, alongside ORBX Central, and avoid eventual conflicts between the two.

Hopefully someone from ORBX could chime in and clarifies the point.

Ed

I'm not sure I'm understanding, I have already uninstalled Global Base from Orbx Central once before to try and fix the issue, this was before the update.

Does this button not actually uninstall the scenery? Does it just remove if from the P3Dv4 addon list? Because if I remember correctly I had to redownload it after uninstalling it. BUT maybe that was because I deleted my first Library...

uninstall.jpg

OH wait, are you saying that I have to have it installed in BOTH my library and the P3Dv4 folder???

is this getting any closer to being resolved?  seems each time I use orbx central( unwillingly) it does something new. now its just created 99 blank entries  above ozx scenery which was at 1 , and some its not letting me remove saying its needed, WHAT????????????????????:huh:

Is there a way we can decide where each Orbx scenery will be put in the scenery library ( cfg abd xml way ) ?

So scenery can be put together per country ?

If not, can this be made possible in a future update ?-

regards, Gerard

On 8/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, RobC said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding, I have already uninstalled Global Base from Orbx Central once before to try and fix the issue, this was before the update.

I don't know if in the previous version of ORBX Central (v4.0.4) you could uninstall Global BASE from there, but in my setup I don't have such an option in ORBX Central v4.0.6 menu. I still have several issues with ORBX Central waiting for resolution with the necessary help from the developers, and in the meantime I would have preferred to reinstall FTX Central 3 until ORBX Central becomes finally reliable. The issue here for me, is that before uninstalling ORBX Central and go back to FTX Central 3 I would prefer to have detailed instructions from ORBX on how to do it properly without further messing up the sim.

Ed

On 8/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, RobC said:

Does this button not actually uninstall the scenery? Does it just remove if from the P3Dv4 addon list? Because if I remember correctly I had to redownload it after uninstalling it. BUT maybe that was because I deleted my first Library...

uninstall.jpg

OH wait, are you saying that I have to have it installed in BOTH my library and the P3Dv4 folder???

Nope. Is there an option to uninstall? Yes, see bellow:

1382711247_Thereisauninstall.thumb.jpg.4457ab3a53c69281bd6dea562e602952.jpg

Cheers,

8 hours ago, Ezra said:

This won`t work if "Global" is installed into the simulator as suggested in an earlier thread. The uninstall feature won`t appear. It will only show when it is installed in the library.

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

That's correct!. Otherwise it won't show up. And we're talking about Global BASE, not any other Region.

Ed

I'm sorry, once again I have to disagree.
In the case of the picture on thread #50 , EU England is installed in the Orbx folder inside the simulator. Look at path below:

C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY

Read the retraction below.

Cheers,

A retraction is made: really Global Base does not have this option.
My apologies.:huh:

Hello,

Global Base can be made to show as not installed by renaming

ORBX\User Documents\Versions\FTX_GLOBAL_BASE_PACK.txt.

Then it can be reinstalled.

The files themselves cannot be removed because they are core simulator files.

The uninstall tab in FTX Central does little more than delete the text file and

remove a couple more files from the ORBX folder.

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Global Base can be made to show as not installed by renaming

ORBX\User Documents\Versions\FTX_GLOBAL_BASE_PACK.txt.

Then it can be reinstalled.

The files themselves cannot be removed because they are core simulator files.

The uninstall tab in FTX Central does little more than delete the text file and

remove a couple more files from the ORBX folder.

Thank you, 

So in essence the Global Base files/addon will only be "uninstalled" as far as P3Dv4/Orbx Central is concerned, not physically.

So then when reinstalling it I can reinstall inside the simulator or in another library (not back in the same one although not recommended), and there will still be files installed from before but it will not be an issue as they will just be overwritten?

I'm wondering as I am getting the ugly mixture of autogen/Orbx scenery.

BUT at this point, I may just wait to see if there will be an official fix, I can ignore it for a week or 2.

thanks again

Hello RobC,

the principle is that the Global Base files were intended to be installed outside

the simulator folder and they should appear instead of default files.

This seems to need more work and therefore it is recommended for now to simply

install Global Base into the simulator and let it overwrite the default files, as before.

Or, of course if it is already there, leave it alone.

Hello Sherman,

eventually, all the files will be outside the simulator root folder.

All that has happened with the 4.0.6 release is that the developers have restated more

emphatically that there is in fact no need to migrate existing files at all.

There never was but it was not said loudly enough.

Hi Nick....good news...thanks for the info in re migration. Yesterday I did a clean reinstallation of P3D because of very long load and set up times....got ORBX up and running ..and things are looking good again. My thinking was that scenery.cfg was the bottleneck. So, I backed it up and let the program rebuild a new one. So far, so good....

Sherm

Hello,

As for above I personally do not want any of my files outside the three simulators ever. Still having a good look over the scenery with the Central and so far looks good but is not 100% yet but getting there once it is fixed. I mostly did my flying in a helicopter so I got down low and had a good look around . So at the moment I will not be going back to FTX3 but I still have that  option.

I'd like to update to the new ORBX Central but I'm just not confident  it will go smoothly, many a time I've had to do a complete reinstall of all my ORBX scenery because of glitches. Can I continue to use FTX Central 3, or will this be phased out.

42 minutes ago, Striker said:

I'd like to update to the new ORBX Central but I'm just not confident  it will go smoothly, many a time I've had to do a complete reinstall of all my ORBX scenery because of glitches. Can I continue to use FTX Central 3, or will this be phased out.

You can still use FTX Central 3 for now. It will begin to be slowly phased out once we’re confident Orbx Central doesn’t have any remaining major issues. 

1 hour ago, capt sl said:

is the eventual  fix to orbx central going to clean up the scenery lib, ( ie all the blank entries etc)

Hi Capt,

Unfortunately, it will not clean up the existing entries. It just won't add more blank ones. If you upload your scenery.cfg here, a member of the team will be happy to fix your scenery.cfg for you

1 hour ago, Ben McClintock said:

I can't see any blank entries in there - maybe the issue is already resolved? Is that your scenery.cfg from within %programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4?

I'm still on FSX. this is the one in the main folder? . is that the right one?

The blanks appear in the scenery lib inside FSX itself . some of them are unremovable.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

and there's  some more

Archived