Vertical Waves - ?

I have come across vertical waves in the past and applied the fix explained in the post below.

Since updating all my products to the new Orbx Central they have returned but the old fix doesn't work as to the best of my knowledge "FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT" is no longer part of the ORBX setup?

I have re-installed the main libraries without success.

Hello,

I would have responded but you have already done what was suggested as a solution.

Deleting that file told FTX Central that the libraries were uninstalled.

No need to do that in Orbx Central because there is now an uninstall tab.

I am sorry that my answer does not help you with your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps, I have these vertical wave as well.  I have my scenery installed on a separate drive from the sim and use symbolic link to associate the scenery with the sim.  The only way I have been able to address the vertical waves is to remove the Orbx_wave_controller file from the effects folder.  That does stop all waves, but, that is better than vertical waves.  I have Orbx Central and FTX Central both installed.  Each time Orbx Central runs it places a new Orbx_wave_controller file into the effect folder and I have to remove again.

So, you are not the only one with this issue.

Regards,

Danny

Just visited your locations, the first one I see waves but not vertical, the second I did see waves, then I enabled Sumburgh Airport at the waves disappeared.

The end of your runway looks different to mine... I wonder why?

Anyway I can report that when I do see waves they are normal flat waves. 

Reducing the Special Effects slider to Low is one way of disabling the waves with minimal effect on the sim especially away from cities and inside the cockpit.

Waves1.thumb.jpg.724981c94db2bd035d657004c8c14d8e.jpg

I've come up with what I hope is a solution.

Firstly download the attached zip file:

fx_waves.zip

Next, backup the 8 files in your effects folder that are the same name as these.  Keep the copies somewhere in case you want them back.

Next, create a folder in your Effects folder named No Wave Effects or something like that and unzip this zip file into it.

Then, highlight the 8 files in that new folder and cut and paste them into the Effects folder, overwriting the files already there.  If you leave the files in this folder as well they'll always be there if the system updates your active files.

Voila, you should not have any waves, but your system should recognise them as the required files and leave them intact.

For information, all I did was go into each file and comment out the functions using the // command.

I got this list from a Sim Outhouse post re wave effects,  it's possible not all these files are related to surf effects.  If you want to investigate further you can try replacing one of the original files at a time with the file from the zip, and see if just one or two can disable the surf effects.

I find the sim better without surf, it never looks just right and it isn't missed if it's not there!

Hi guys,

Please forgive any inaccuracies; I'm writing this from ever questionable memory.  Thanks Doug for posting links to the pertinent issue.  Vertical waves in P3D v4 are caused by a single line in the wave effect file that v4 requires in the right place for each 'emitter' in the wave file. [edit: the line 'Ground Decal =1 is in the [Particle.n] section under each emitter]  LM fixed all of the default wave files for v4, and all of the Orbx wave files *distributed by the Orbx LIbs* were also fixed a long time ago.

However it seems that the installer for at least one product (Vector) would replace new wave files with old when installed. The solution in the past was simple; update or reinstall the Orbx libs. This had been the advice after a new product install in any case.  My guess is that the Orbx Central programmers will have to figure out how old wave files are not being updated. By the way,  from what little I know about it, although this may sound like a simple problem to solve I don't think it's that easy from a technical standpoint . It will be done however, that I'm sure.

Morning all.

Here is where I am with this problem;

1. Removed the ORBX Libraries and reinstalled.  Tried this with both ORBX Central, and removing the "FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT" (or equiv with the new installation format..can't remember the exact name but it fooled Central in thinking the libraries required installing.  This didn't solve the problem.
  2. By dropping the Water detail below "Ultra" the problem goes away with the waves moving correctly.
  3. Taking on-board the actual value of having waves in a flight sim I added the revised .fx files linked above which allows the Water detail to remain at Ultra but with no waves.
  4. I have spent some time searching across the internet for solutions and while the problem appears quite common the fix does seem to involve the OBBX Libraries solution with other software / product not cited.

While the problem still exists and the true cause unknown I think the best compromise is to keep the water detail either at medium or high while using the revised wave.fx files as this post has actually led to be believe they don't add a huge amount to my sim unless I am going "low n slow" and want to feel immersed in the environment.

John commented on the runway at Sumbrugh looking odd.  This was a scenery layering issue fixed by moving the scenery insertion point in ORBX Central.

Thank you.

Hello Richard,

If you are interested, I might suggest you attack the problem the other way around. Find a test area where you find vertical waves and save the scenario.  In the P3D Effects folder, disable  .fx files with 'wavecontroller' in the file name one by one until you find the one responsible for the waves at that point.  You should restart the sim for each check. (If you have installed or migrated a product with Orbx Central and the vertical waves remain, check to see if there is a wavecontroller in an Effects folder in the xml add-on.)

Once you have isolated the wavecontroller used in your test area, open it with Notepad and find the actual wave effect that the wavecontroller controls. Now find this .fx file and note the filename and date. Open the effect file in Notepad and check to see if you find the line Ground Decal = 1 in the [Particle].n] section(s). The idea is to definitively establish which wave files are used in your test area and  confirm or disconfirm that they are the source of the problem.

Yes, it's a pain to do it this way but in the end it often saves a lot of time following confusing leads.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add that I had the same issue (vertical waves) and deleting the FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT file did not work for me either. What DID work was verifying the ORBXLibs in FTX Central 3. I now have the Ground Decal=1 line in the ORBX_waves.fx file. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Larry.

Before:

https://imgur.com/a/T4J42AK

After:

https://imgur.com/a/x9uWIP9

Randy

On 10/1/2019 at 6:11 AM, RRVyper said:

Just wanted to add that I had the same issue (vertical waves) and deleting the FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT file did not work for me either. What DID work was verifying the ORBXLibs in FTX Central 3. I now have the Ground Decal=1 line in the ORBX_waves.fx file. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Larry.

It looks like there is a version of ORBX_waves included in products like Global Vector that do not have Ground Decal=1 and this may be why this issue has occurred in the first place. Do you have Global Vector installed?

If you want to fix the vertical wave issue for all your add-ons (not just ORBX):

1) Use a text-searching program to scan your Effects folders (in the main P3D folder, and also for any add-ons that are stored in separate libraries) for any fx files that contain the text "Ground Normal=1" while NOT containing the text "Ground Decal=1".

2) Determine which of these files are specifically wave or wake effects (it's should be obvious from the filenames).

3) for the identified wave and wave effects, open them in Notepad and add the line "Ground Decal=1" below any lines that have "Ground Normal=1".

My preferred freeware search tool for this task is Agent Ransack.

15 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

It looks like there is a version of ORBX_waves included in products like Global Vector that do not have Ground Decal=1 and this may be why this issue has occurred in the first place. Do you have Global Vector installed?

Yes, but I didn't touch Vector when I updated P3D so not sure how the old file got back there. Perhaps it was part of Global Base Pack, which I DID touch (see here for all the steps I followed).

Randy

12 hours ago, steve40 said:

If you want to fix the vertical wave issue for all your add-ons (not just ORBX):

1) Use a text-searching program to scan your Effects folders (in the main P3D folder, and also for any add-ons that are stored in separate libraries) for any fx files that contain the text "Ground Normal=1" while NOT containing the text "Ground Decal=1".

2) Determine which of these files are specifically wave or wake effects (it's should be obvious from the filenames).

3) for the identified wave and wave effects, open them in Notepad and add the line "Ground Decal=1" below any lines that have "Ground Normal=1".

My preferred freeware search tool for this task is Agent Ransack.

Good tip,  @steve40  May I also suggest Notepad++ as an editor. :)

Randy

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Adding to this thread (and really great to have come across it).

I've experienced the vertical waves multiple times in P3D where typically the fix was to re-install the Orbx libraries and as a result the waves were fixed.

That said, in those instances the vast majority of Orbx packages were installed into the sim (not via the addon method).

Since Orbx Central's release I've been installng new purchases via the addon method.

However I've had problems with Orbx Buildings HD showing up fully (e.g. I get roofs but no HD building shells) and I've elected to totally rebuild the sim given the date of the original build was a number of years ago.

This time around all the Orbx packages are installed via the addon method and I'm now striking the issue of vertical waves.

Unfortunately neither a verify and a subsequent remove and re-install of the Orbx libraries (as the addon method) has resolved the issue of vertical waves.

A search for Orbx_waves.fx shows three results in my instance being Orbx libraries, Orbx VECTOR and Orbx Base, where both Orbx VECTOR and the Orbx Base Pack have Ground Normal=1 and not Ground Decal=1.

I manually added Ground Decal=1 to the two affected files and unfortunatelly still no resolution at the test coastal area (PNW + 11S).

A search of all of the Orbx libraries via the following criteria (using Agent Ransack Lite) shows there are a number of fx files containing Ground Normal=1 and not Ground Decal=1.

File Name: (wave|wake)+.*(\.fx)

Containing Text: "Ground Normal=1"  NOT "Ground Decal=1"

Results (as CSV):

Spoiler

H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Global\p3dv4\Global BASE Pack\Effects\,ORBX_lakewaves.fx,3 KB,FX File,29/10/2013 9:30:38 AM,27/06/2020 1:48:40 PM,28/06/2020 12:25:29 PM,2,53,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Global\p3dv4\Global BASE Pack\Effects\,ORBX_lakewaves.fx,3 KB,FX File,29/10/2013 9:30:38 AM,27/06/2020 1:48:40 PM,28/06/2020 12:25:29 PM,2,116,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Global\p3dv4\Global VECTOR\Effects\,ORBX_lakewaves.fx,3 KB,FX File,29/10/2013 9:30:38 AM,27/06/2020 2:17:42 PM,28/06/2020 12:31:52 PM,2,53,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Global\p3dv4\Global VECTOR\Effects\,ORBX_lakewaves.fx,3 KB,FX File,29/10/2013 9:30:38 AM,27/06/2020 2:17:42 PM,28/06/2020 12:31:52 PM,2,116,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Global\p3dv4\Orbx Libraries\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_lakewaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,26/09/2013 10:11:20 PM,28/06/2020 10:56:11 AM,28/06/2020 12:31:53 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\AI Traffic Australia and New Zealand P3Dv4\Effects\,fx_AI_floatplane_spray-and-wake.fx,3 KB,FX File,23/01/2004 1:22:00 PM,27/06/2020 11:34:09 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,102,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\EU England\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_lakewaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,3/11/2012 2:39:29 AM,27/06/2020 7:55:55 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\EU England\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_oceanwaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,3/11/2012 2:39:29 AM,27/06/2020 7:55:55 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\EU England\Effects\,fx_Orbx_waves.fx,3 KB,FX File,3/11/2012 2:39:29 AM,27/06/2020 7:55:55 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,2,53,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\EU England\Effects\,fx_Orbx_waves.fx,3 KB,FX File,3/11/2012 2:39:29 AM,27/06/2020 7:55:55 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,2,116,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NA Pacific Fjords\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_lakewaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,8/12/2008 5:36:26 PM,27/06/2020 7:17:44 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NA Pacific Fjords\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_oceanwaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,8/12/2008 5:49:22 PM,27/06/2020 7:17:44 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NA Pacific Northwest\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_lakewaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,8/12/2008 5:36:26 PM,27/06/2020 3:15:51 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NA Pacific Northwest\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_oceanwaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,8/12/2008 5:49:22 PM,27/06/2020 3:15:51 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NZ South Island\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_lakewaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,1/12/2012 11:14:51 AM,27/06/2020 9:05:40 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NZ South Island\Effects\,fx_HS_FSX_oceanwaves.fx,2 KB,FX File,1/12/2012 11:14:51 AM,27/06/2020 9:05:40 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,1,54,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NZ South Island\Effects\,fx_Orbx_waves.fx,3 KB,FX File,1/12/2012 11:14:51 AM,27/06/2020 9:05:40 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,2,53,Ground Normal=1
H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NZ South Island\Effects\,fx_Orbx_waves.fx,3 KB,FX File,1/12/2012 11:14:51 AM,27/06/2020 9:05:40 PM,28/06/2020 12:32:27 PM,2,116,Ground Normal=1

Adding Ground Decal=1 to fx_HS_FSX_oceanwaves.fx (located in \Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NA Pacific Northwest\Effects\) resolved the issue I noticed when flying the Pacific Northwest and 11S packages.

I do see a number of potentials here being...

1), I assume the various Orbx files/packages need to be updated, looks like a relatively simple job to get out of the way and avoid future customer support being required.

2), If Orbx Libraries is intended to be the top tier source so to speak, then it doesn't appear to be working well, at least where the addon method is being used, further investigation required at the developer level?

For myself I went through and manually updated all the affected .fx files as per my list (including the 2 x Orbx_waves.fx located in Orbx VECTOR and Orbx Base Pack).

Manual updating is not really desirable from a customer perspective, given for many people, such manual updating would not at all be a consumer level capability.

And not an item I want really have to redo on any verification/re-install of Orbx packages.

Thoughts?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 9:06 PM, Quantum Amiga said:

Manual updating is not really desirable from a customer perspective, given for many people, such manual updating would not at all be a consumer level capability.

And not an item I want really have to redo on any verification/re-install of Orbx packages.

Thoughts?

Hello, 

I don't want to address the issue of some older installers perhaps still using old wave files (not my area) but one solution is to consider using the Orbx global wave effects, a manually added add-on distributed as an extra with the Orbx PNW ferries. If you only want the wave effects you can just  install  the ferries with Orbx Central,  copy the zip file and then uncheck or uninstall the ferries.  If you don't like the new waves, you simply disable and or remove the add-on. 

Cheers

4 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Hello, 

I don't want to address the issue of some older installers perhaps still using old wave files (not my area) but one solution is to consider using the Orbx global wave effects, a manually added add-on distributed as an extra with the Orbx PNW ferries. If you only want the wave effects you can just  install  the ferries with Orbx Central,  copy the zip file and then uncheck or uninstall the ferries.  If you don't like the new waves, you simply disable and or remove the add-on. 

Cheers

Hi Larry,

And very nice waves they are indeed.

That said I already use them, but it appears selected scenery use different waves?

Using 11S Sekiu as an example I had those really nice waves along the Clallam Bay beach, then just up a bit between Clallam Bay beach and the Bay Motel, there's a little rocky point sort of forming it's own little section of bay where a different set of waves were busily giving me the finger so to speak.

And those waves turned out to be \Orbx\Regions\p3dv4\NA Pacific Northwest\Effects\fx_HS_FSX_oceanwaves.fx, whereupon manually editing of the .fx file resolved the problem.

Once I found this thread it was literally a work of minutes to seach the Orbx folders with Agent Ransack Lite and update the .fx files with notepad++, took longer to write the thread response really.

Only became an issue when the sceneries were not installed to the sim directories, being as in the sim root there is only the single effects directory that Orbx libs would overwrite with its updated fx files when the lib files were updated / re-installed.

So... still see a need for the base Orbx sceneries waves to be updated (as a root cause resolution), but for those who are technically adept it's quick and quite easy to workaround knowing the whys of how the issue has come about.

I'll close off with this video I made a few months back showing of those magnificent new Orbx waves of yours.

Cheers

Archived