is this a beta or full release?

pilot100

sorry ifvI have missedcsomething but is v4 central a released producr or a beta or what? I can't  see anything except a link to download it so assume it is some kind of optional thing. the release notes dont  say what a current v3 user should do.

Brian 

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Hi Brian,

Yes it is a released product, but with no instructions on how to update from FTX Central 3 to ORBX Central 4 before you start and some idea of what the install process involves.

You should find the following video explains all:-  https://fselite.net/video/how-to-using-the-new-orbx-central-app-v4-0/

Also the manual is here:-  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QqebVX8fUFdFtOOEMR1ZULkhhieenQHNopfNY-5_K0Y/edit

John

Hello,

Yes it is a released product, but with no instructions on how to update from FTX Central 3 to ORBX Central 4 before you start and some idea of what the install process involves.

on the contrary:

Because something has been overlooked does not mean that it does not exist.

It's a full release with a lot of bugs and issues. Should've been a beta.

To be a little more exact, it is a release that works seamlessly with FSX, FSX-SE, P3D v1, v2, and v3, X Plane 11 and Aerofly.

Also it works seamlessly with an existing FTX Central installation of P3D v4.

There are three problems that emerge after scenery files are "migrated".

It is worth mentioning here that there is no need at all to migrate existing files.

1. There is a problem with some default scenery textures showing with Orbx Global Base

and perhaps the OLC products.

2. Some customers report that they do not like the way their scenery library is arranged.

3. The Vector auto-configuration of its AEC function does not work.

The manual configuration does work and settings can be stored in a profile, as before.

Apart from that, it works well and many customers have reported that they have had no

problems with it and P3D v4 at all.

Sometimes the amount of noise is not a true indication of the scale of a problem.

11 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

It is worth mentioning here that there is no need at all to migrate existing files.

1. There is a problem with some default scenery textures showing with Orbx Global Base

2. Some customers report that they do not like the way their scenery library is arranged.

Thanks for your patience and support, Nick.

However, I want to be a bit more precise with the points you mentioned above:

These problems exist also with a vanilla P3Dv4 installation, all leftovers deleted, nothing else installed. So, it is not only after migrating.

1.: yes, I can confirm this and wonder, how this made it through beta tests ... but ok, happend

2.: "not like the way their scenery library is arranged" is typical marketing speech. It is a complete mess all over created by ORBX central as it does not take into account that layer orders change with each new scenery. And layer ordering does not work in their addon.xml's, they have all the same layer number.

Sorry to sound annoyed, what I am a little bit, but I hope you understand this. I hoped to hear an announcement and pardon from ORBX that things do not work as intended.

29 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Sometimes the amount of noise is not a true indication of the scale of a problem.

While I basically agree with the rest of the posting, this is again pure marketing. The amount of the noise is always a true indication of the scale of a problem, it is just nowadays "routine" for software developers to repeatedly mask this by telling the customers that there are "plenty of users without any issue". As we customers do not have the numbers, those statements are done easily...

Furthermore, how can you write that most of the users do not have any issue with ORBX Central while in the next sentences, you mention two bugs that affect every single user? An impossible combo, no?

Then you conclude: "apart from that, it works very well..." Sorry to say, but the only things that really work with ORBX Central at the very moment are just those things that already worked back in FTX Central...

Thanks,

I was simply addressing the  statement that

and attempting to introduce a sense of balance.

I see that you are trying to undo this.

A "vanilla" installation of P3D will not have an existing Orbx installation and therefore there will be no migration.

I did not write that was was only after migration.

I would agree that is is odd that such an error escaped detection but it has yet to be resolved, either by the developers

or by the numerous experts at other forums.

How something is described very much depends on the perspective and the level of patience of the person describing.

This has nothing to do with marketing, rather with the way I choose to express myself versus your choice.

Neither way denies that there is a problem.

Clearly a person who states that the scenery library is "a complete mess all over created by ORBX central" is not happy

with the way the scenery library is arranged.

In fact, in British English, understatement is often more effective in making a point than hyperbole .

I do not and have not yet used the add-ons library method but I note

some balanced comments from an acknowlegedand independent expert in those matters at the Avsim forum.

17 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Furthermore, how can you write that most of the users do not have any issue with ORBX Central while in the next sentences, you mention two bugs that affect every single user? An impossible combo, no?

Then you conclude: "apart from that, it works very well..." Sorry to say, but the only things that really work with ORBX Central at the very moment are just those things that already worked back in FTX Central...

Hello again,

every single user of P3D v4 that has either migrated the products of made a "vanilla" installation with Orbx Central in fact leaves

a very large number of customers who either do not use P3D v4 at all or who have not migrated any products.

The whole point of Orbx Central was to move the Orbx files out of the P3D v4 folder and to allow X Plane 11 users a remote installation.

It is therefore not a surprise and cannot be a criticism to point out that in every other respect Orbx Central does what FTX Central did.

If the starting point is "this installer is rubbish and I will set out to prove it", then the perspective is very different to "this is new, by and

large it works well but there are some teething problems".

It is natural to come back that anything that seeks to defend it is just marketing froth because it does not support the case.

We all agree here that there are some problems that need to be and are being addressed.

Although I am now repeating myself yet again, I would suggest however that a sense of perspective needs to be maintained that is not helped by posts such as

First, sorry to have created a storm, I really only asked if this was release or beta because in the past the version 3 ftx just got updated automatically but this new orba central is not being distributed automatically. There has been no notice to users outside of the forums about this so sorry orbx but you do not seem to have taken your user base with you (my opinion only) communications wise.

Also there was such a lot of issues in the forum about it which confused me somewhat.

Seems like a good idea for me to stay with ftx v3 until some of the issues get resolved, which I am sure they will be.Shame that updates are not being issued via ftx v3  but I can understand that orbx central is the next gen.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, question answered.

Brian 

Brian,

as far as I am aware, FTX Central is still working for pretty much every product except the latest release, Skagit.

As I mentioned, there are no problems at all with Orbx Central and X Plane 11, not even alleged ones, so if that is

yours or anyone else's simulator of choice, you can install and use Orbx Central with no problems at all.

Funny that you keep repeating this, Nick. But sorry... just imagine Microsoft releases a novel update for MS Word and keeps insisting that due to the fact that this novel MS Word variant works without any issue on both OS X and Linux, they consider the update as success. Sadly, you use Windows 10 and you encounter a lot of bugs...

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

In my case I have not intentionally migrated anything and still I get issues with the display of ORBX Global Base and OLC (at least in North and South America). Something was changed by ORBX Central even when not even a migration occurs.

I performed a Verify Files action with OLC North America and the product was completely re-installed (a total of 2175 files as I remember). I don't know at this point if I should continue verifying products that were not supposedly and purposely migrated or unistalled by me. ORBX should take note of this and put it into the bugs log.

This ORBX Central cannot be considered a full release, should be in beta phase, and ORBX has an urgent work to do to return things back to normal.

I don't really know what exactly the beta testers were doing while testing this product and not having noticed all these kind of bugs.

Ed

Archived