Duplicate Sceneries

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  Windows 10 Build 1903

Simulator:  P3D 4.5

Screenshot:  

Issue:  I have installed Orbx Libraries, Global BASE Pack and Global openLC Europe so far. These packages create "duplicate" scenery entries.

Examples are:

FTXAA_ORBXLIBS, one created by Orbx Libraries, the other one by Global openLC Europe

ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE1, one created by Global openLC Europe, the other one by Global BASE Pack

Would it not be a good approach to name them different?

And an other observation I made is that some add-on.xml do contain layers, others do not, is this intentional?

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg,

It looks like openLC EU includes a seasons file that usually would fit into the Orbx Libraries. Because we were cautious not to break anything, we tried to keep the builds as similar to their original as possible. We'll look into getting this file (Orbxlibs_openLCEU_season_fix.bgl) into OLC EU.

As an additional note, many of the NA and OCE airports contain modifications to the underlying region, so they will create duplicate region folders too.

3 hours ago, GregSwiss said:

And an other observation I made is that some add-on.xml do contain layers, others do not, is this intentional?

This should be correct. Any scenery that we want to insert at the top of the library most likely won't contain a layer.

@Mitchell Williamson will be able to comment on this in more detail

Hi Greg,

Just to give more detail, add-on packages without a layer will stick to the top of the scenery layers. This is desired for some of our products, like Global Base and Orbx Libraries.

If you have your Central setup to insert scenery at the top of the scenery library, it won't assign them layers so that they'll stick up there. This doesn't apply to regions and openLC products though, as they need to be placed in specific places relative to airport products to ensure they work correctly together. Central will handle all the heavy lifting when it comes to where things get placed :)

Thanks Ben and Mitchell for your replies!

What I would like to achive is having one Orbx block of scenery entries like I had with Central 3, between the sceneries added with the scenery.cfg and all other sceneries added with add-on.xml. What I have now is having some at the top above the ones added with add-on.xml and some somewhere in between the ones added with the scenery.cfg, seems to me to be quite random...

Then I can not choose an add-on.xml scenery as Insertion Point in Central 4 nor creating a (dummy) Insertion Point by my own as I always get an error when I try to select the one

Cheers

Greg

I’ve got:

2x ORBXLIBS

2x ENG_05_SCENERY

3x OPENLC_zBASE

2x OPENLC_EUROPE1

2x OPENLC_NAMERICA1

I use Lorby’s Addon Organiser to view and edit scenery order and it doesn’t cope well with duplicate names. Edited to add that the above duplicates also cause P3Dv4.5 to crash with a kernelbase.dll error in the event viewer.

Should I be renaming these or deleting them?

On 7/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, GregSwiss said:

What I would like to achive is having one Orbx block of scenery entries like I had with Central 3, between the sceneries added with the scenery.cfg and all other sceneries added with add-on.xml. What I have now is having some at the top above the ones added with add-on.xml and some somewhere in between the ones added with the scenery.cfg, seems to me to be quite random...

Our ordering splits layers into three general types. These are Airports/Cityscenes, Regions, openLC. Airports will be placed at the insertion point you specify within Central, Regions will be placed one layer below them and openLC will be placed at the openLC insertion point you specify. Orbxlibs and Global Base use custom add-on.xmls which place themselves without a layer, as we've found maximises compatibility. If your Airports/Regions insertion point is set to the top of the scenery library, then won't layer airports and they'll float to the top like most other add-on.xml based third-party scenery.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, GregSwiss said:

Then I can not choose an add-on.xml scenery as Insertion Point in Central 4 nor creating a (dummy) Insertion Point by my own as I always get an error when I try to select the one

What error do you get?

On 7/28/2019 at 12:44 AM, Charlie Kilo said:

Should I be deleting duplicate entries or renaming them?

We've got a fix for this included in the next update for Central. Once it has been released, you'll just need to do a 'Verify Files' on the products in question and it'll clean up the duplicate names. In the meantime, you can rename the entries in the add-on.xmls if you want to get it resolved straight away. However, Central will overwrite these changes when an install, update or verification is performed on the given product.

The Addon Organizer if you open it up after installing new scenery with the add-on xml method but before starting p3d to let it add the scenery, will create duplicate entries by adding files to add-on.cfg in one of your programdata folders I forgot which one! That could be causing the duplicates for some people. Do not run the Addon Organizer until you have started P3D and selected yes to activate the new scenery!

Hi Mitchell

Please allow me to come back to this point:

8 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

Our ordering splits layers into three general types. These are Airports/Cityscenes, Regions, openLC. Airports will be placed at the insertion point you specify within Central, Regions will be placed one layer below them and openLC will be placed at the openLC insertion point you specify.

I have tried to specify a non default Insertion point, there I realized two issues:

- One can only choose stock sceneries added through scenery.cfg as an insertion point, not the ones added with add-on.xml, they are not displayed for selection.

- When I try to add a dummy scenery (empty folder structure like dummy\scenery, this was perfectly working in Central 3) to the scenery.cfg and try to select this one as insertion point later in Central 4 I get a synchronization error.

So what is the best approach to get an insertion point which is positioned between the stock sceneries and the ones added by other add-on.xml, so basically above "Sharurah" and below my other vendors sceneries?

Cheers,

Greg

11 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:
On 7/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, GregSwiss said:

What error do you get?

Sorry Mitchell

Have not seen your question, so please see my post above...

Cheers,

Greg

16 hours ago, GregSwiss said:

One can only choose stock sceneries added through scenery.cfg as an insertion point, not the ones added with add-on.xml, they are not displayed for selection.

In the current version of Central, scenery is layered using scenery.cfg based insertion points for two main reasons. One is to maintain compatibility with products installed using FTX Central 3 (so that they can be grouped together correctly), and the other is to try and avoid modifying Prepar3D configuration files as much as possible. However, due to feedback such as yours we've begun a discussion within our team about implementing more advanced layering, which includes layering within other add-on packages.

This likely won't be a feature released in the short term, but it is something we're considering.

16 hours ago, GregSwiss said:

When I try to add a dummy scenery (empty folder structure like dummy\scenery, this was perfectly working in Central 3) to the scenery.cfg and try to select this one as insertion point later in Central 4 I get a synchronization error.

This should work and achieve the behavior you desire, though the error sounds like a bug in Central. Can you send your central.log file?

Archived