Update on openLC Africa and Asia

John Venema

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think MSFS 2020 announcement trailer was a good motivation for Orbx (and others) to start giving some attention to OLC products (that were put aside for some time in favor of X-Plane products) before the real thing comes out then there will be less and less customers for the OLC product line..

That is great to hear that progress is coming along and should be done by year's end. One question I have - will the Africa and Asia Open LCs make Buildings HD redundant in those areas or will the Buildings HD textures be better?

Land class does not include textures (generally), so HD buildings are complementary.  So for the best outcome you need both.  HD buildings will work in the meantime with default LC and Global textures.

But don't the Open LC regions also come with new autogen types and textures? In the Africa previews on the roadmap there are some shots of such. They are however lower res compared to Buildings HD from my eyes.

Hello,

Buildings HD will improve the appearance of autogen worldwide.

Maybe the preview shots were taken before the release of Buildings HD?

There are no autogen textures included in any Open LC products, however

there are tens of thousands of bespoke ground textures.

Thank you for the response Nick. That makes some sense. However those preview shots were captioned "New autogen building types". Maybe it means just more categories but still utilising the current Global textures?

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, airernie said:

Just sad that Orbx won't be offering a OpenLC Australian/New Zealand product for those of us who don't do full fat.

Ummmm Australia and New Zealand are essentially Open LC products, they just don't carry the title.

8 hours ago, John Dow said:

Ummmm Australia and New Zealand are essentially Open LC products, they just don't carry the title.

Sorry to disagree, but I'm reading the description and it sure looks different than OpenLC NA, OpenLC Europe, etc. 

Updated airports, high-definition Melbourne cityscape, photoreal points of interest, etc.  So, it's closer to the full fat regions than OpenLC. 

The reason for a wish for LC only is that I'm a FSX flyer, so impact from scenery I only see in passing from 30,000 feet up is a concern to me.

18 hours ago, airernie said:

Just sad that Orbx won't be offering a OpenLC Australian/New Zealand product for those of us who don't do full fat.

Couldn't you just buy the AU and NZ products and turn off everything except the landclass? I'm not sure why you would ever want to do that but it seems to be what you're asking for.

Have not heard if South korea is going to get any enhancement, cities like Seoul South Korea, Daegu, Busan all big cities with large populations and mountains. For all of us that served in S Korea during our military careers this would be really cool. Last year the wife and I flew to S. Korea for a 2 month visit and tour and man did it change and grow from the last time I was there in 1977. Seoul is one gigantic city and gorgeous at night, add to that NamSan Mountain with it's tower overlooking the city....priceless!

9 hours ago, Mickel said:

I thought there was one for oceania that covers the pacific islands,

I am not sure that an OpenLC would do justice to the Pacific islands with their lagoons, coral reefs, volcanoes etc.. Compare the somewhat disappointing OpenLC NA cover of the Caribbean and the excellent work done on the OrbX Samoas (even in its Western part).

Possibly not.  The statement was made earlier that there wouldn't be an OpenLC covering Oz or NZ.  There are plans for it and that it would include the pacific islands.  Nothing more, nothing less.

9 hours ago, Mickel said:

Possibly not.  The statement was made earlier that there wouldn't be an OpenLC covering Oz or NZ.  There are plans for it and that it would include the pacific islands.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Where's this statement? I missed it. Even though I have AusV1, I was still looking forward to OpenLC Oceania because of the Pacific islands.

12 hours ago, MarkH said:

Couldn't you just buy the AU and NZ products and turn off everything except the landclass? I'm not sure why you would ever want to do that but it seems to be what you're asking for.

Is this possible? I'm a bit scared that the Melbourne cityscape in AusV2 might kill my little laptop :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is great news, especially regarding LC Asia.  Aus simmers fly most hops into Asia, which is a flourishing region for real world commercial traffic and we simmers like to follow the pattern.

There are many add-on airports available for the region and these will be enhanced beyond measure by the LC background.

On 8/4/2019 at 6:14 AM, airernie said:

Sorry to disagree, but I'm reading the description and it sure looks different than OpenLC NA, OpenLC Europe, etc. 

Updated airports, high-definition Melbourne cityscape, photoreal points of interest, etc.  So, it's closer to the full fat regions than OpenLC. 

The reason for a wish for LC only is that I'm a FSX flyer, so impact from scenery I only see in passing from 30,000 feet up is a concern to me.

I am running FSX on a 2.8 Dual Core Nvidia GT710 and it is running very fine on the AUS v1, I am getting around 20 to 25 fps (this is my usual desired frame rate) at altitude and sometimes down to 6fps around the purchased airports (Brisbane, Melbourne etc). So maybe staying with the AUS v1 might be the only solution. Or, get AUS v2 and turn off/down some of the parameters.

For me, it means it is time to upgrade my system and go to P3D. Or maybe wait for Microsoft FS20...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, jenstt said:

Are the projects still on track? :) I hope we soon start to see some previews! Really looking forward to exploring these long neglected regions!

If there are no further bumps on the road, we should start seeing preview pics this month. Excited :D

Finally ... Flying from Dubai to Europe using P3DV4 is a joke looking at original textures ... (glad XP-11 can ortho4XP the road, but in XP-11 there aren't any worth looking long haulers unless the only one JAR330 wil fix the plane a bit)

On 10/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, Juanvito said:

If there are no further bumps on the road, we should start seeing preview pics this month. Excited :D

I hope you're right.  Been waiting for openLC Africa for several years now so another couple months (or maybe less?) is nothing.

Are you just guessing that we'll see preview pics this month or do you have some inside information?

Thanks.

Dave

4 hours ago, dave302 said:

I hope you're right.  Been waiting for openLC Africa for several years now so another couple months (or maybe less?) is nothing.

Are you just guessing that we'll see preview pics this month or do you have some inside information?

Thanks.

Dave

Just guessing. In the OP JV said Africa needed 3.5 months until a full beta build (which would be by the end of this month), and Asia could be released before the end of the year, two months of beta testing means we could see pics soon.

1 hour ago, orbmoke said:

Please excuse my ignorance on the matter, but I'm not sure what 'openLC' means. Is this the equivalent of OrbX's True Earth scenery or is it something completely different?

Completely different.

ORBX_Layers.thumb.jpg.e401705ba0e5cb52cd

openLC is landclass, the data gives a representation of what you would see in the world.

TrueEarth is photo scenery. A complete picture recreation of what you can see.

Archived