Update on openLC Africa and Asia

John Venema

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to update you on the status of openLC Africa and also some news about openLC Asia.

openLC Africa

This project has been delayed many times, and it's both our own fault (we allowed the developer to focus on other projects) and one of a lack of suitable data sources. The current status is about 75% complete and we have about 3.5 months of work to get to a full beta build. The main issue is that a lot of the continent's landclass now has to be manually created due to a distinct lack of data in Africa. The good news is that all textures are completed, and that is a large part of the project done. I do apologise for these continual delays and I am mindful we have repeatedly promised delivery timeframes which have not been met, which goes against our usual modus operandi.

openLC Asia

Exciting news on this front! Holger Sandmann is now leading a parallel team to work on OLC Asia and work will commence in earnest in the next week or so and we're aiming for a release well before years' end. This will be a spectacular and diverse region to explore and will also include some amazing photoreal areas such as Mount Fuji in Japan to name but one.

This means you can count on two OLC regions in your hands well before Xmas.

Yours in updates.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate the update!

While a tad disappointed at OLC Africa suffering another delay, if it's out before Xmas, I'll be happy.
Any outside chance on a couple of photoreal areas, such as the Pyramids at Giza and further south of Cairo, and perhaps Table Mountain / wider Cape Town?

OLC Asia is a very welcome surprise and has instantly been added to my shopping list.
A lot of people are going to be happy at this announcement.

• Ben McClintock changed the title to Update on openLC Africa and Asia

I just need the middle east area, is it going to be part of OLC Africa or Asia? in Orbx released map (long time ago) it was drafted as part part of OLC Africa, but during last Xms webcast some Orbx commentator said it is going to be part of Asia, I'm confused.

Thank you for this update :)

I was recently preparing to "replay" this fall the "Around the World in Eighty Days" fligths.

Will wait (happily) for both OLC regions. :)

"Can't wait" - but will wait ;)

Gérard

kwM2MKA.jpg

MlPGbZO.jpg

39 minutes ago, gaab said:

Thank you for this update :)

I was recently preparing to "replay" this fall the "Around the World in Eighty Days" fligths.

Will wait (happily) for both OLC regions. :)

"Can't wait" - but will wait ;)

Gérard

Love the idea.

Also 1919 is the centenial of the 1st England-Australia Air Race. Will be nice to continuously fly over OrbXland 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_England_to_Australia_flight

4 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Great news.

Could I add another query?

Is there a map or description of which countries/areas will be included in Asia?

TTM

From the old map, I guess it will cover the countries east of Iran and south of the former USSR.

6 hours ago, John Venema said:

Hello JOHN

openLC Africa

This project has been delayed many times, and it's both our own fault (we allowed the developer to focus on other projects)

Very honest explanation and understandable, thank you

and one of a lack of suitable data sources.

Even more understandable

The current status is about 75% complete and we have about 3.5 months of work to get to a full beta build. The main issue is that a lot of the continent's landclass now has to be manually created due to a distinct lack of data in Africa.

I find this lack an amazing opportunity for Orbx to use their magic and make an outstanding job here, so thank you for having gone beyond this limitation

The good news is that all textures are completed, and that is a large part of the project done. I do apologise for these continual delays and I am mindful we have repeatedly promised delivery timeframes which have not been met, which goes against our usual modus operandi.

No need to apologize I would say, as long as all facts are explained as clearly as you did everybody understands and holds

openLC Asia

Exciting news on this front! Holger Sandmann is now leading a parallel team to work on OLC Asia and work will commence in earnest in the next week or so and we're aiming for a release well before years' end. This will be a spectacular and diverse region to explore and will also include some amazing photoreal areas such as Mount Fuji in Japan to name but one.

I think it is impossible for everybody not to be happy for such great news, thank you so much!

This means you can count on two OLC regions in your hands well before Xmas.

This is the best thing I've read in several month. Mainly now that many developers are creating airports for Asia. I bet Orbx has a list of possible ones to do too :)

Thank you again and the whole team

Very best

Carlos

Would I be correct in assuming "Asia" is both "Asia/China and PNG" and "Asia Major incl. Russia" as indicated in the documentation for the other OLC regions, or just one or the other?

This in theory would just leave Oceania (which aside from AU is still needed) but we'd finally have something resembling global coverage, and not a minute too soon!

No matter we have to wait, such update sounds like music in my ears, thanks JV for listening to your audience.

Living in Morocco makes me having a lot of wishes as Africa not particularly flooded with quality airports let alone a good quality basis scenery.

This is not a small step but giant leap for Africa...same for Asia by the way.

Rgds,

Hans

18 hours ago, John Venema said:

openLC Asia

This will be a spectacular and diverse region to explore and will also include some amazing photoreal areas such as Mount Fuji in Japan to name but one.

Will we get also Halong Bay area ?

Would be so amazing ...

Gérard

These are surprising news indeed. Of course I am really pleased to read that we could have two new OpenLCs on our "shelves" by Xmas. OK, you could have given the reasons for the delay earlier. But let's see now, I really hope to see Africa by the forecast season this time. This time it's true, right? :D And yes, Asia is a surprise of the pleasant kind.

Regarding photoscenically enhanced hot spots, besides the honorable Fuji:

• Mt. Everest and surroundings
  • Kilimandjaro
  • everything that looks like a beautiful Volcano ;)

Thank you for the update.

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

These are surprising news indeed. Of course I am really pleased to read that we could have two new OpenLCs on our "shelves" by Xmas. OK, you could have given the reasons for the delay earlier. But let's see now, I really hope to see Africa by the forecast season this time. This time it's true, right? :D And yes, Asia is a surprise of the pleasant kind.

Regarding photoscenically enhanced hot spots, besides the honorable Fuji:

• Mt. Everest and surroundings
  • Kilimandjaro
  • everything that looks like a beautiful Volcano ;)

Thank you for the update.

I would add a nice Delta of the Nile river, a good doing ot Victoria Falls. The amazing terrain of Morocco, a fine representation of Richat Structure in Mauritania, the massive jungle ot Rep of Congo, the beautiful terrain in Cape Town

The tremendous landscape variation in China and south Asia.. so many nice things to come :)

35 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

I would add a nice Delta of the Nile river, a good doing ot Victoria Falls. The amazing terrain of Morocco, a fine representation of Richat Structure in Mauritania, the massive jungle ot Rep of Congo, the beautiful terrain in Cape Town

The tremendous landscape variation in China and south Asia.. so many nice things to come :)

Thanks for mentioning the Richat structure, I had never heard of it before. I'd certainly second your desire.

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

45 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

8 hours ago, gaab said:

Hey guys 

I  opened a new topic  about requests which has been moved here . It is for Asia because I understand that  Arica is almost done. Anybody interested is welcome to feed it. Who knows  ?

12 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

When they are ready they are  ready  

Is it me but it seems the OpenLC Asia thread below shows some less fatalist expectation on the timeline , Martyn  :lol: ? 

But I will take the ball in the air. An OpenLC Asia is a huge undertaking, so many various landscapes from beautiful Thailand ;)  to the Himalayas or Taklamakan desert or  Japan or Bali and so on and so forth. I personally wouldn't mind to see a release in two or three installments  ( like Sri Lanka/Indochina/SE Asia ; China/ Japan, India and NW Asia for instance).

This is excellent news!

So by the end of the year we can fly pretty much anywhere in the world with a decent land class scenery experience :)

Looking forward to both of these OLCs, but especially Asia as I fly there a lot more than Africa.

Archived