Buildings HD for FSX/P3D coming soon!

16 hours ago, Scott Armstrong said:

I developed and tested BHD on a laptop with a Geforce 970M and only 3GB of VRAM, and everything runs just fine.  Your card is significantly more powerful than mine, so you should be great.  BHD has virtually no impact on FPS, but the texture file sizes are larger, so having ample VRAM is a good idea to prevent memory issues, depending on what other addons you use.  Our testers all have pretty powerful rigs, so coming up with low-end performance numbers is difficult, but from my own experience a video card with 3GB of VRAM is plenty sufficient. 

Hi Scott,

Since you've mentioned that TE GBS uses custom autogen buildings, do you know if the testing has shown any differences between stock autogen and the custom buildings included in Buildings HD in terms of shadow rendering performance? One thing I've noticed is that the custom autogen included in TE causes a huge performance hit when building shadows are enabled...

Tym

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, TymK said:

Since you've mentioned that TE GBS uses custom autogen buildings, do you know if the testing has shown any differences between stock autogen and the custom buildings included in Buildings HD in terms of shadow rendering performance? One thing I've noticed is that the custom autogen included in TE causes a huge performance hit when building shadows are enabled...

Hi Tym, shadow rendering performance should be exactly the same with BHD installed, or nearly so.  The geometry of most autogen buildings is not changed at all, and those that were changed were done with performance in mind.  With BHD the detail is mostly in the textures, which makes it easy on graphics cards and shadow rendering.

Thanks Scott, that's reassuring. Looking forward to the release! :)

I'm getting huge performance issues with building shadows in TE GBS, which is why the mention of "custom" autogen objects got me a bit worried...

Cheers,

Tym

Archived