Buildings HD for FSX/P3D coming soon!

8 hours ago, patful said:

BuildingsHD will replace the current building textures and default autogen.bgl library objects for most Orbx products, including:

• Global
  • OpenLC Europe, North America, and South America
  • All currently available P3D/FSX regions EXCEPT TrueEarth Great Britain South, TrueEarth Netherlands, EU Germany North, and EU Germany South (these regions come pre-packaged with their own custom detailed autogen buildings).

So you're saying the TE sceneries do not use the standard autogen system (which BuildingsHD upgrades with textures) at all?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent news Orbx...as ever right on the money for products us simmers would like. After 30 years in this hobby, I'm still confused why some individuals post messages suggesting an item they bought is 'faulty' or poor quality. (See the comment about TE GB as an example). As I see it we all have different computers and therefore products'  'performance'  will be slightly different -

but certainly not a 'disaster' as suggested. And please, folks, when you blast a company, try at least to spell correctly as it's hilarious how the meaning of a rant changes because of the wrong word being used. It's a hobby and I'd say to anyone who moans, if you think you can produce something better, do it and sell it! I'm a pensioner myself, and money is tight, but every thing I buy is worth it in my eyes...just saying, chill out you younger folk!!!!

1 hour ago, FireRx said:

Any chance in a global "road and Highways" enhancement. to fix roadbed, bridges and all? 

I'd be all over this if they could fix P3D's road texture-loading problem. Don't know if it's just me, but no matter the scenery/texture complexity, no matter the GPU I have installed (1080 now), and no matter my airspeed, road textures are always dead last to load, often blurry until I'm right on top of them. But I think that's just P3D's problem, and likely wouldn't buy a 4K replacement texture that would remain blurry.

14 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

So you're saying the TE sceneries do not use the standard autogen system (which BuildingsHD upgrades with textures) at all?

Hi Kevin, we'll be doing some additional testing with the TE sceneries in the coming days and I'll be able to give you a detailed answer then.

11 hours ago, DModjo said:

Would love to see some previews of Los Angeles and Singapore

Hi DModjo, the shots of Ontario (just east of Los Angeles) and San Diego show the same texture sets that you will see in Los Angeles if you have NA - Southern California installed.  The Bangkok shots show some of the textures used by the SE Asia region in FSX/P3D, which also includes Singapore.

I will post additional screenshots in the coming days; if there are other location requests, post them here and I'll try to accomodate :)

5 hours ago, FireRx said:

Any chance in a global "road and Highways" enhancement. to fix roadbed, bridges and all? 

Hi FireRx, our Global VECTOR product does just this; it increases the accuracy of roads and bridges worldwide, as well as railroads, coastlines, rivers, etc.  Or were you talking about a different sort of issue?

yeah, Scott.  the flatness of the road where it doesn't follow the contours of and mountainous terrain or dips hard into Valleys and ravens. Bridges that look more natural in relation to landscape.  Just stuff like that. 

3 hours ago, tangjuice81 said:

Interesting; just saw a post on another group doing autogen...hmmm. Competition is in the air. After looking at their product I must say that ORBX does look better. 

Yeah doesn't look anywhere near as good IMO

3 hours ago, tangjuice81 said:

Interesting; just saw a post on another group doing autogen...hmmm. Competition is in the air. After looking at their product I must say that ORBX does look better. 

As the developer, I'm obviously biased....  I will present to you the facts as I see them and let you draw your own conclusions ;)   Comparing their preview shots to those of Buildings HD, it appears to me that Buildings HD will feature more accurate building scaling, shading, uniform window reflections, and most importantly, highly regionally-accurate textures based on source photos taken from around the world (to my eye it looks as though their textures come primarily from a well-known stock game texture website, and are accordingly generic looking). 

But perhaps the biggest differences are that theirs doesn't appear to be compatible with Orbx regions (whereas Buildings HD is), and doesn't contain updates to over 400 complex building and structure models (which Buildings HD does).  

2 hours ago, FireRx said:

Also will this affect other 3 rd City sceneries we have installed form other developers?

It depends on the scenery; sceneries that use the standard autogen buildings will indeed have their buildings benefit from Buildings HD, but those that use their own custom building models will not.

The Drzewiecki Designs city series and LimeSim's US Cities X San Francisco use custom, high-detailed city models instead of autogen buildings, so their buildings will remain as they are and will not be affected by Buildings HD.

But many other 3rd party sceneries do use autogen buildings, which are the standard building type used to populate landscapes in FSX and P3D, and those buildings will indeed be improved by Buildings HD.  There are simply too many sceneries out there to either test or create a comprehensive compatibility list; but suffice to say that the vast majority of them will have their non-airport buildings upgraded.

"But perhaps the biggest differences are that theirs doesn't appear to be compatible with Orbx regions (whereas Buildings HD is), and doesn't contain updates to over 400 complex building and structure models (which Buildings HD does)."

I am just curious about the first part of this statement. I'm all in to get your Buildings HD product and it looks great and I have really been looking forward to it :) but why would their version no be compatible with Orbx regions when all it does is replace default autogen? I would understand a statement that theirs might not look as good with Orbx regions but to say that theirs probably wont be compatible, is that really true?  

Just now, Flygsidan said:

"But perhaps the biggest differences are that theirs doesn't appear to be compatible with Orbx regions (whereas Buildings HD is), and doesn't contain updates to over 400 complex building and structure models (which Buildings HD does)."

I am just curious about the first part of this statement. I'm all in to get your Buildings HD product and it looks great and I have really been looking forward to it :) but why would their version no be compatible with Orbx regions when all it does is replace default autogen? I would understand a statement that theirs might not look as good with Orbx regions but to say that theirs probably wont be compatible, is that really true?  

The autogen in Orbx regions uses custom Orbx autogen texture sheets, not the default textures.  The custom Orbx texture sheets are contained in the Orbxlibs, which 3rd parties are prohibited from modifying under the Orbx EULA.

1 minute ago, Flygsidan said:

Thanks for clearing that up Scott. I dont fly in Orbx regions so that is no real concern of mine but I bet your Buildings HD product will improve the autogen i created with scenproc/OSM for my own generated photoreal area over Stockholm and surroundings :)

Absolutely; scenproc generates standard autogen buildings so Stockholm will see the full BuildingsHD treatment.  Sounds like a cool project!

2 hours ago, Scott Armstrong said:

The autogen in Orbx regions uses custom Orbx autogen texture sheets, not the default textures.  The custom Orbx texture sheets are contained in the Orbxlibs, which 3rd parties are prohibited from modifying under the Orbx EULA.

Hi Scott, perhaps this partly explains my previous question?  I'm curious as to why the BuildingsHD replacement s for FTX ENG textures and TEUK textures would not be the same?  obviously the 3D models of nonstandard buildings are unlikely to be modified by BuildingsHD, but I thought the rest of the agn was pretty standard stuff?

Am I correct in understanding from your comment about testing that you are looking to include some measure of compatibility with the TE sceneries? cheers K

18 hours ago, Scott Armstrong said:

so this is just like ftx trees. so for us with orbx regions whats the point of buying it if its not gonna change the autogen even tho it looks better than the region ones?

15 minutes ago, OscarGrant said:

so this is just like ftx trees. so for us with orbx regions whats the point of buying it if its not gonna change the autogen even tho it looks better than the region ones?

It will change the autogen buildings for most of the regions too. From the initial post (emphasis mine):

On 6/23/2019 at 1:50 AM, Aimee Sanjari said:

BuildingsHD will replace the current building textures and default autogen.bgl library objects for most Orbx products, including:

• Global
  • OpenLC Europe, North America, and South America
  • All currently available P3D/FSX regions EXCEPT TrueEarth Great Britain South, TrueEarth Netherlands, EU Germany North, and EU Germany South (these regions come pre-packaged with their own custom detailed autogen buildings).

15 hours ago, ols500 said:

I have a GTX 1060 6GB, is that OK?

I developed and tested BHD on a laptop with a Geforce 970M and only 3GB of VRAM, and everything runs just fine.  Your card is significantly more powerful than mine, so you should be great.  BHD has virtually no impact on FPS, but the texture file sizes are larger, so having ample VRAM is a good idea to prevent memory issues, depending on what other addons you use.  Our testers all have pretty powerful rigs, so coming up with low-end performance numbers is difficult, but from my own experience a video card with 3GB of VRAM is plenty sufficient.

13 hours ago, rtissera said:

Is an RX 570 8 GB enough ? 

See above post; yes, that should be just fine.

10 hours ago, jgoggi said:

For those like me who don't have a latest generation card, will it be possible to also have 1k and 2k resolution? Thanks.

See above; you shouldn't need a very high-end card to run Buildings HD.  None of the testers have reported any performance issues thus far.  As long as your card has 3GB of VRAM, you should be fine.  That being said, we have discussed including lower-resolution versions if enough users deem it necessary.

8 hours ago, Scott Armstrong said:

I developed and tested BHD on a laptop with a Geforce 970M and only 3GB of VRAM, and everything runs just fine.  Your card is significantly more powerful than mine, so you should be great.  BHD has virtually no impact on FPS, but the texture file sizes are larger, so having ample VRAM is a good idea to prevent memory issues, depending on what other addons you use.  Our testers all have pretty powerful rigs, so coming up with low-end performance numbers is difficult, but from my own experience a video card with 3GB of VRAM is plenty sufficient.

Thanks Scott. :D I will purchase on release!

11 hours ago, Juanvito said:

I just checked and I have 2GB of VRAM. As long as I don't have many graphics-intensive addons besides ORBX stuff, should I be fine?

I'd imagine you would probably be fine, especially if you don't have other graphics intensive addons.  But since we don't have any testing reports with a 2GB card, no guarantees ;)

11 minutes ago, Scott Armstrong said:

I'd imagine you would probably be fine, especially if you don't have other graphics intensive addons.  But since we don't have any testing reports with a 2GB card, no guarantees ;)

Thanks, that's good enough.

Archived