Encouragement.

VH-KDK

5 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

The strategically placed service station on the A303 right in line with Popham's runway 26. Just hope the fan keeps turning and don't undershoot.

It seems we have form in the UK for silly placement of petrol stations on approaches to airfields.
One just off the centreline near the end of runway 25 at RAF Northolt and another near the end of runway 27L at Heathrow.
Good thing aeroplanes crash in straight lines! :rolleyes:

Nice pic, btw. Feels like a summer's day flying in southern England.

8 minutes ago, F737NG said:

It seems we have form in the UK for silly placement of petrol stations on approaches to airfields.
One just off the centreline near the end of runway 25 at RAF Northolt and another near the end of runway 27L at Heathrow.
Good thing aeroplanes crash in straight lines! :rolleyes:

Nice pic, btw. Feels like a summer's day flying in southern England.

Don't worry we are just as crazy here down under, just have a look at the placement of the shopping centre next to Essendon's 35. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Essendon_Airport_Beechcraft_King_Air_crash

If you read down you will see how the concerns of the AOPA are ignored about developments such as this but at least it does give the anti airport sheep something else to bleat about.

Glad you liked the image!:)

1 minute ago, ducati900ss said:

You know about the offset approach to 26? Overflying the station in R/L would probably result in an immediate grounding........

Nope, it's easier for me to line up along the A303.:huh:

I always keep a few £20 notes handy for the aftermath of moments like this!8)

These and the funny handshake still work wonders.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shot Martyn, my house is right in line with approach and departure.  But heck, I love 24/7 loud jet noise\sarc

Thanks Jack, think yourself lucky it is not the 60s and 70s when the planes were slightly louder!:lol:

6 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Jack, think yourself lucky it is not the 60s and 70s when the planes were slightly louder!:lol:

The MD-88's are exactly one decibel below the legal limit even with the "hush kits" on them.  Those JT8D's are very loud, no bypass engines.  The 777's on the other hand are so silent you can barely hear them.

45 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

The MD-88's are exactly one decibel below the legal limit even with the "hush kits" on them.  Those JT8D's are very loud, no bypass engines.  The 777's on the other hand are so silent you can barely hear them.

The MD-88s must all be very old then. A plane I have seen very few of in RL although the ones I have seen have been very loud!:o

22 hours ago, Mickel said:

I learned something this morning... didn’t even know that arrow was there.  I think i’d been using that approach!

Same here and makes for a more interesting approach.

This is what happens  when one doesn't look at the manuel!:lol:

22 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Did you check the prices, Martyn? Maybe it could be a good deal?

Usually more expensive on the major roads.;)

25 cents more a litre on the Hume Hwy than in Mooroopna the other day and from what I remember it was the same sort of thing when I lived in the UK.:o

18 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super shot Martyn, a lot of details in this shot!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that John, so many features that I never take the time to look for as I am usually in a hurry to get in the air!:lol:

17 hours ago, adambar said:

Takes the fun out of flying if there isn't some kind of obstacle in the landing pattern Martyn. :D

Dead right Adam and what is the big deal about a gas station anyway!:lol:

9 hours ago, ducati900ss said:

For those who aren't mega-rich or members of the 'funny handshake brigade'  https://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/copy-of-airfield-information .

Thanks for showing.

The beauty of FSim is being able to do just what you want without having to resort to brown paper envelopes or a secret handshake to get yourself out of trouble.

I wonder how many others didn't know about that approach, I must read the manuel in future!:lol:

10 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Oh boy Martyn. And here I thought encouragement spelled Glenviddich:P:D.

I am not sure Karl, one of us could phone the Pope as he is an expert on such things.

His number is Vat 69.:wacko:

Archived