EGLC London City Airport Officially Announced for X-Plane 11!

Following the reveal at FlightSimExpo, we are happy to announce EGLC London City Airport for X-Plane 11!

EGLC London City Airport is the closest airport to central London. Located in the Royal Docks in the London Borough of Newham, in between Canary Wharf and the City of London - the two most important financial districts in the country - EGLC provides important transport links between the capital and the rest of the UK as well as continential Europe. 

London City Airport has a single 1,500-meter (4,900 ft) long runway, and a CAA Public Use Aerodrome Licence that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flight training - but only for training necessary for the operation of aircraft at the airport. Only multi-engine, fixed-wing aircraft with special aircraft and aircrew certification to fly 5.5° approaches are allowed to conduct operations at London City Airport. The largest aircraft which can be used at the airport is the Airbus A318, which has been modified with a "steep approach function".

Features: 

• Full HD PBR representation of London City Airport and surroundings.
  • HD textures throughout
  • PBR groundpolygon with dry, damp and wet states.
  • All new highly detailed PBR Ground Service Equipment and Clutter models
  • Realistic road traffic on surrounding streets
  • Includes the Excel building, Tate & Lyle Sugar factory and all surrounding high-rise buildings.
  • 60cm orthoimagery blended to match TrueEarth GB South
  • Includes realistic approach and airport lighting.
  • Introducing all new detailed HD PBR static aircraft models
  • Dynamic Fire & Rescue response -  fire service will respond when an aircraft emergency is declared on approach. Fire trucks will deploy to your aircraft position once on the ground

P3Dv4 users, don't worry. EGLC for P3D will be announced soon!

EGLC London City Airport will soon be available to purchase from OrbxDirect for AUD $32.95 (approx. USD $22.95/ €20.50/ £18.20)

Please note that you will require Orbx Libraries updated and installed to the latest version. 

Please also note that for the best experience, we recommend using EGLC in conjunction with TrueEarth GB South. The scenery will work without it, however some users may experience the following:

• Missing or misplaced forests
  • Missing or misplaced buildings surrounding the airport
  • Photoreal blending

And without further ado, the screenshots!

EGLC_Screenshot_34.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_33.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_31.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_29.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_28.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_27.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_26.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_25.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_24.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_23.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_21.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_18.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_16.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_13.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_11.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_10.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_9.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_8.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_7.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_6.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_1.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_34.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_26.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_3.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_4.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_3.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_2.jpg

EGLC_Screenshot_1.jpg

Looks good, getting the airports co-operation is also good work. This is an airport that not so long was trying to get airport spotters arrested, who were outside the boundaries. This means I can now tour the airport without fear! It also means that buying GBTrueSouth  is now on my list. It will make for some amazing approaches.

Neil

29 minutes ago, Neil said:

Looks good, getting the airports co-operation is also good work. This is an airport that not so long was trying to get airport spotters arrested, who were outside the boundaries. This means I can now tour the airport without fear! It also means that buying GBTrueSouth  is now on my list. It will make for some amazing approaches.

Neil

I can remember spotters being warned about visiting communist countries and taking down regos and the like.:huh:

Welcome to 2019!:(

12 hours ago, JJJackson said:

Interesting, but a while ago I remember ORBX announcing that new scenerys will be released for all 3 platforms at the same time! Still, XP seems to be "the thing", it seems that the 2 other platforms are rigidly treated.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Many of us with different Sims are waiting for everything to be released for all Sims at the same time.  But Orbx needs lots of time for recruitment, research etc to get to that point.  JV recently mentioned some new teams not starting until September.  It works both ways, eg we XPers in Australia cannot enjoy the recently released  V2 Australian scenery for our own home country!  I guess patience is the order of the day.  Knowing Orbx, they WILL get there.  Cheers.

13 hours ago, JJJackson said:

Interesting, but a while ago I remember ORBX announcing that new scenerys will be released for all 3 platforms at the same time! Still, XP seems to be "the thing", it seems that the 2 other platforms are rigidly treated.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Go to Orbx direct release announcements and count the releases for each sim

Kind regards

Ian S

We have never stated that we intend to release airports for all three platforms at the same time. Please don't misquote me, and if you make statements like that, please back them up with quotes from Orbx staff.

What I have said previously, is that we are working hard towards near-concurrent releases of airports for P3D and XP11, but that we are not there yet - and it may be some months before we achieve it. Even if we were to achieve it, logistically there will always be a gap between platforms because making installer builds for different sims means there may be a delay between one and the other, which is just logistics really.

I have been wanting this airport for a while now and am very happy ORBX has produced this one.  Waiting for this to come to P3D for me is a non-issue, just grateful we are getting this one! Waiting means you just have to enjoy what you already have installed in your Flight Sim Computer; that is very easy. If I did not say it, EGLC looks fantastic. ORBX is my Santa Claus for new airports, always surprising me with something nice and new; thanks ORBX you guys are great!   

5 hours ago, Gussgull said:

what animations can we expect ?

I think till we have Vulkan very little.X-Plane is at a very special moment, when other thonks become possible that were very difficult under OpehnGL.In a way I think the new Microsoft Flight Simulator puts some pressure out of the development process. In a year we will probably have a working Vulkan Version that will be comkpared with the new MSFS and I think it can compare favoribly.

10 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

I hate it to pour water in your wine but I don't think that aircraft and runways are gleaming so much in reality. They just look a tad very polished, imho.

That's because the sim sun/light source is low, which is making it reflect more light than it usually would.

Looks pretty nice. My only worry is that, with all the London city scenery active, although it will all look wonderful, the frame rates are going to suffer. My fps is kind of OK there with a freeware EGLC addon. Not wanting (at all!) to be a wet blanket, but I'd be scared that an ORBX airport next to all that city scenery would tip the balance towards a stuttering nightmare?

1 hour ago, martinlest said:

Looks pretty nice. My only worry is that, with all the London city scenery active, although it will all look wonderful, the frame rates are going to suffer. My fps is kind of OK there with a freeware EGLC addon. Not wanting (at all!) to be a wet blanket, but I'd be scared that an ORBX airport next to all that city scenery would tip the balance towards a stuttering nightmare?

Same, i average around 22-24 fps while in/around London as it is. I'd dread to think what it will be like with this airport 

Just had a real flight to EGLC yesterday. They are currently building a new taxiway on the water, parallel to the runway.

So no need to backtrack lineup for a RWY 27 departure once it's finished. Any plans to add that later on or even the construction site? 

On 6/17/2019 at 5:05 PM, Peter Lurie said:

Apart from one or two small additions, I am trying to work out the difference between the default EGLC and this one....?

It's a small airport so only so many additions can be done in and around the airport, but the quality of the assets using HD textures and PBR throughout is amazing. This product is also setting a benchmark for other similar small airports in the future I think so it's a great achievement. I guess if you don't appreciate the technological improvements then thats fine you can stick with the base package.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, Aimee Sanjari said:

EGLC London City Airport is the closest airport to central London. Located in the Royal Docks in the London Borough of Newham, in between Canary Wharf and the City of London - the two most important financial districts in the country -

Looks very good indeed. Just a small point, Aimee - EGLC is east of Canary Wharf, a bit down river, not between Canary Wharf and the City of London.;)

On 6/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, Onurair said:

Just had a real flight to EGLC yesterday. They are currently building a new taxiway on the water, parallel to the runway.

So no need to backtrack lineup for a RWY 27 departure once it's finished. Any plans to add that later on or even the construction site? 

hehe, just catching up and was going to mention this very thing. (same day, actually—I was out on 19 and back on 20th!)

Would be great to see the floating taxiway under construction!

I have recently rejoined the sim World and Xplane. Just found this City Airport release and will download it. For 15 years I worked as a self employed chauffeur in the City of London and visited London City everyday. Can't wait to get started with this recent release. I now live in Reno Nevada and this brings back good memories. Thanks.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:27 AM, Paul K said:

Looks very good indeed. Just a small point, Aimee - EGLC is east of Canary Wharf, a bit down river, not between Canary Wharf and the City of London.;)

I was about to write the same thing. Having worked there for many years. 

28 minutes ago, Gussgull said:

hi orbx

will we get moving bus and catering  trucks  fuel trucks etc as many orbx airfields do not have many for xplane

Yes, there is moving apron traffic!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived