Hello Everyone. I'll cut to the chase. Had Idaho Falls for a while and never had any issue with it. Ever since updating to 4.4 (and now 4.5) I have been getting pretty bad frame rates at IDA. My usual FPS is 40-45 in VC and 60 outside (even at FlyTampa Vegas). At Idaho falls these values are 28-31 in vc and no more than 45 outside. It's not my rig (i7700k OC 4.9GHz Dual 1080 SLi 16 gb of ram, 500 gb ssd just for p3d). I have tried turning everything off in the ftx control panel but nothing. Even tried the stock f22 and frame rates are about the same. Thought it might have been envshade but updated to latest version, and again I am not having this issue anywhere else. Please help me...

Best Regards,

Alessandro Devoto

I have this same low FPS issue at KIDA in P3D v4.4. It seems to be a problem unique to KIDA where I can't maintain 30 fps, but it instead hangs around in the mid to upper 20s.  I too tried turning everything off in the control panel, reinstalling, using different aircraft, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I am running an i7-7700K at 4.5 GHz and a GTX 1080Ti GPU. 

6 hours ago, Alessandro Devoto said:

No stuttering. The frame rate is simply too low.

If there is no stuttering, why is a frame rate of 28-31 in the VC or 45 outside a problem?  As long as the sim is running smoothly, what is the problem?

Why? I don't mean to be rude but did you not read my initial post? My rig can maintain high frame rates at high end level sceneries (IE FT Vegas), therefore it has to maintain high frame rates at smaller airports(I have a 2k 60/120/144 hz monitor, which means 30fps gaming is not an option). It is not smooth, hence why I am raising the issue to the forums. I would like the issue to be fixed. Blackbird can't even maintain 20fps which is also unplayable. Still looking for actual help.

I agree with Alessandro. While I don't get bad stutters at KIDA, the low frame rate is unpleasant and definitely noticeable. Something is off at KIDA. I didn't have KIDA prior to P3D v4.4, so I can't comment on how it performed under previous versions of P3D v4.

Someone in the FSX forum had inquired about poor performance at KIDA in February. Not sure if Greg's suggestions ever resolved that user's issue, but unfortunately, the suggestions wouldn't work for me as I never owned KIDA until it was ported over to Orbx. Any chance @Greg Jones or someone from Turbulent Designs or Orbx can comment or take a look? 

Here's the post from February:

5 hours ago, JoseCFII said:

Do you have DL enabled? If you do, disable it and watch your fps go up. This also happens at KSUN.

I sent a PM to Russ with regards to the poor fps at KIDA & KSUN with DL enabled and never received a response.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am getting poor performance at KIDA with dynamic lighting turned off.

I'm in the latest version as well with hotfix, and my GPUs' consumption is at 35%, maybe goes up to 60% at night when in the terminal due to DL, but the issue is all the time. How do I get a hold of Russel (which I believe is the dev correct?). I started a thread on turbulent designs forum but they pretty much dumped all responsibility on orbx. Cmon guys I paid some good money for these add-ons.......

Regards

Hello,

I see your thread on the Turbulent Designs forum , I am surprised at your comment

they pretty much dumped all responsibility on orbx

since it seems that no one has replied to it.

1.jpg

My experience of this airport is the same as yours but I do not find it to be bothersome.

You could try @Russell Linn

Hey there,

Yes, as it's an orbx product now, support is being handled through here. Though I'm surprised I didn't get a notification about your post.

Have you tried flying to the area with Orbx KIDA disabled? We've not received any performance issues that stand out to be our scenery, so I'd be interested to see if you can narrow it down a bit.

I'll tag @Greg Jones too, to see if he has any ideas.

Thanks,
Russ

15 hours ago, Russell Linn said:

Hey there,

Yes, as it's an orbx product now, support is being handled through here. Though I'm surprised I didn't get a notification about your post.

Have you tried flying to the area with Orbx KIDA disabled? We've not received any performance issues that stand out to be our scenery, so I'd be interested to see if you can narrow it down a bit.

I'll tag @Greg Jones too, to see if he has any ideas.

Thanks,
Russ

Hi Russ,

If possible can you please try to improve the DL performance or add an option to KSUN. Other than that, two masterpieces!

• 2 months later...

So tried one more thing. Installed KIDA and started p3d. Spawned at KIDA. Tried disabling scenery and p3d crashed. Rebooted p3d and in scenery options de-activated KIDA and started flight. Result was first picture. Restarted p3d and started a flight with de-activated kida. After spawning it tried activating but again p3d crash after enabling scenery and hitting okay (it finishes loading but right after load bar disappears it crashes). Re-started p3d and the result (spawning in w/KIDA enabled) and result is last four images. Hope this helps.

2019-9-16_15-16-50-210.jpg

2019-9-16_15-21-49-682.jpg

2019-9-16_15-21-58-831.jpg

2019-9-16_15-22-2-879.jpg

2019-9-16_15-22-34-701.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just loaded this airport and did some circuits and it's fine.  I get 21-24 fps locked to 24 which is pretty normal for an Orbx detailed airport.

Given that the frame rates you are quoting are very acceptable for a product like this, with a lot of detailed suburban scenery in close proximity, I can't see this being something that will be looked at, as the airport has been through development, beta testing, optimisation and has not been the subject of any chorus of complaints or comments to do with performance.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:21 PM, John Dow said:

I get 21-24 fps locked to 24 which is pretty normal for an Orbx detailed airport.

The airport is truly beautiful, can't argue with that. However, it's not that complex, and the surrounding area is fairly flat and empty.

I'm having slightly less fps at FSDT KLAX + Orbx SoCal. And about the same performance at UK2000 EGLL + Orbx England. And both are way, way more complex and demanding than KIDA + CRN.

I mean no disrespect, but while 24 fps might be enough to you, it is not enough to me to have a smooth experience.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2019 at 6:21 AM, John Dow said:

as the airport has been through development, beta testing, optimisation and has not been the subject of any chorus of complaints or comments to do with performance.

Yes the airport was indeed fine, however after upgrading to P3D 4.4 the issue began, therefore the scenery ought to be looked at again. Please just provide some help... I've been trying to reach the developer since September and still no answer... 

• 3 weeks later...

I also have found the performance of this airport to be much worse than others of similar size and detail. Dynamic lighting is a major contributor but even in the day, the performance is noticeably poor. Its a pity because I tend not to fly there for this reason.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:04 PM, Dmitriy Kozyrev said:

@Russell Linn may I ask why there is a copy of most KIDA buildings placed about 1000 ft underground? Maybe it has something to do with the poor performance?

I am really keen to hear from the developers regarding this particular question . . . (posted above).

Regards,

Rhett

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, Alessandro Devoto said:

Yeah, no I have the same issue and now I have a 9900K @ 5ghz. I get 50 fps at major airports and 60 fps at all other orbx products, including other turbulent designs developed products (like KGPI).  It is not acceptable: it is extremely stuttery... 

Same problem for me too, something is definitely up with this scenery. I have the same CPU 9900K @ 5GHz with a 2080Ti and its unacceptable when all other airports run great.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, Rhett said:

I also have found the performance of this airport to be much worse than others of similar size and detail. Dynamic lighting is a major contributor but even in the day, the performance is noticeably poor. Its a pity because I tend not to fly there for this reason.

I am really keen to hear from the developers regarding this particular question . . . (posted above).

Regards,

Rhett

I bet you that's the reason why the performance is so poor. Displaying two sets of scenery would def increase CPU consumption

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

My apologies. For some reason I wasn't getting these notifications.

Let's see if we can figure out why this isn't working for you guys. I've done a fresh install of the airport on my system to confirm there are no issues with the current build.

After having looked at the current fileset and reviewing the various components, there's really nothing that stands out as a likely cause of your issues. The only oddity that stands out in any of the screenshots posted (ignoring those where the airport was disabled when P3D was running) is the buildings that appear underground. Of course this shouldn't happen but may be well be the cause of performance issues. Unfortunately, I can't see those buildings and so it's difficult to test.

Locating the source of the problem is going to take some trial and error. Initially I would suggest disabling the file KIDA_Lib_AirportAssets_HD.bgl. This is where all of the heavy hitting objects will be.

Beyond that it's a matter of working through each of the files KIDA_PLC_*.bgl and see which of those, if any, give a significant increase in FPS. I'm not suggesting that those files are faulty but clearly there's something about your installs/systems that the airport package doesn't like.

Cheers,

Greg

• 1 month later...

I have CRM as well and started looking at this again and on my system I disabled ADE_FTX_CRM_KIDA_Idaho_Falls_Regl.BGL.off and ADE_FTX_CRM_KIDA_Idaho_Falls_Regl_CVX.bgl.off since I have the KIDA payware scenery already. That is for the default CRM KIDA airport, it should ignore it since KIDA is installed but apparently not. I'm not an expert but it worked for me and have no FPS issues anymore.

Archived