The Skypark?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Buffy Foster said:

Oh, I see there's more here:  https://orbxdirect.com/theskypark

I hope it will have lots of GA missions too, like Angel Flights, Honor Flights, etc. \o/

Checked that out thanks mate, looks very cool. Release is Summer 2019, which has to be US summer as ours is all over

I like what it is intending to do.  I do feel the cost is a little steep for what it appears to offer.  That is inline with what iracing costs per month (if purchased for the year).  I would need to find out a good bit more and read some reviews and possibly wait for a sail to consider

6 hours ago, Buffy Foster said:

Yeah, and I like the people behind it, too; Keven is the guy behind ChasePlane, and Edson started The SkyLounge show and group.  So I hope they can do this with a lot nicer pricing. :)

I think the target pricing is US$10 per month and is basically the price of a couple of coffees. Doubt they could run the infrastructure for less and make a profit.

I'll have a good look at it when it releases and maybe give it a go but time will tell.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, Xflyboy said:

We already have FS Economy which is free, and AirHauler by JustFlight.

Paid subscription is a no for me.

And so far I cannot see any advantages SkyPark has over FSEconomy, except for a prettier user interface.

The no of jobs is far to few if you want to fly a chopper or light GA from any airfield you wish, and you can't spend the money you earn.

Maybe that will come in the future, but I doubt many will pay for this, at least not in the meantime. 

ORBX should have made this free untill it's profoundly better than the competition.

I am hoping that ORBX creates an App for actual IPADS that we can download to use as the Skypark Interface.  It seems like it should be easy to connect to the sim if you are using the same network/wifi.  

-Preston

11 hours ago, Majickthyse said:

I've looked at the page but maybe I have missed this.... What sims will it run on?

The Skypark is due this summer for Prepar3D, and an X-Plane version is confirmed for a later (undisclosed) date.

I am more than a little uncertain about my reaction to this.  I'm a loner who likes to fly individual flights and take time setting them up, and briefing myself.  I am not all that interested in 'game' playing, and turning simming into an 'experience'.  Yet there are some intriguing aspects to broadening the nature of the experience. 

I shall probably wait for the old hands here to give me there feelings after they have tested it.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all the questions, oh my where to begin!? Hopefully it's ok if I answer in-line.

Kind regards,

Ivana Fly

Dispatcher & Tech Support

On 6/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, Buffy Foster said:

Oh, I see there's more here:  https://orbxdirect.com/theskypark

I hope it will have lots of GA missions too, like Angel Flights, Honor Flights, etc. \o/

You are free to fly whatever you like, I send about 100 jobs to your Skypad upon request. Internet pipes aren't very good over satellite! The spread of jobs is a nice balance between short, medium, and long hauls and It's completely up to you whether you see it fit to fly one of your smaller planes or a commercial airliner. You can also add filters and request more until we find something you like. We don't tell you what you have to fly, we just count on you to just get the job done. 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, patful said:

Can you haul anything besides wool, grease, and fatty substances? Only the Connie would do, the rest of the A2A fleet isn't good for much other than people-hauling.

I manage lots of contracts to keep you busy. I've seen everything from wool, to explosive devices on the manifests. The items we transport are all commercially traded around the world and are constantly fluctuating in supply/demand. This means today it might be worth hauling something, that tomorrow might not pay as well. Even the smallest GA planes carry items around the world, FedEx even runs Cessna Caravans! We're not yet approved to transport people, but are working on that.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, Buffy Foster said:

It would be cool, too, if people could make and share new missions, too.  :)

I'm always open to new ideas, I asked the team to make a form where we can accept these suggestions and add them to the ecosystem!

On 6/10/2019 at 12:52 PM, fabs79 said:

Will this work in VR? 

With "Skypad Anywhere" you can fly in VR as well. I hear it's cool to throw your Skypad onto the seat next to you, but please try not to drop it out the window! Overlays don't display in VR however...yet.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:27 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Buffy, if this is a subscription service I'll have to think about it as like Xflyboy said we do have FS Economy which I used for a couple pf years.

FS Economy is really cool and you can continue to use it as well if you prefer many more restrictions. If ease of use, an awesome discovery engine, and rich in-sim feature set is what you prefer I think you'll like to fly on The Skypark. What you've seen is like the guys said, just the tip of the iceberg...

On 6/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, Buffy Foster said:

Yeah, and I like the people behind it, too; Keven is the guy behind ChasePlane, and Edson started The SkyLounge show and group.  So I hope they can do this with a lot nicer pricing. :)

They are pretty cool indeed, but I have cats to feed so let's not get me fired ;)

On 6/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, chumley said:

I think the target pricing is US$10 per month and is basically the price of a couple of coffees. Doubt they could run the infrastructure for less and make a profit.

I'll have a good look at it when it releases and maybe give it a go but time will tell.

Bingo! I don't think my desk would fit into a shed! OMGEDSON is using it on http://www.twitch.tv/SkyLoungeTV pretty much daily, hope that gives you a better feel as to what life on The Skypark is like.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:37 AM, dilo said:

And so far I cannot see any advantages SkyPark has over FSEconomy, except for a prettier user interface.

The no of jobs is far to few if you want to fly a chopper or light GA from any airfield you wish, and you can't spend the money you earn.

Maybe that will come in the future, but I doubt many will pay for this, at least not in the meantime. 

ORBX should have made this free untill it's profoundly better than the competition.

Too few!? Don't tell that to my boss! I have about 30,000 jobs worldwide in the queue at any given time, I prioritize them and as we get closer to a delivery time start feeding them out to active pilots. Per Skypad request I send about 100, if you don't like them you can add some filters and ask me for more. If you have a VERY specific flight you want to do, let me know what ICAO's via the filters and I'll try to find you a job there. It may not pay much but hey at least you get to where you want to go. If only we could just tell people to make all new things free until we think they are better than something else...I'd have quite a few early Teslas in my garage!

On 6/14/2019 at 12:15 PM, Woogey said:

I am hoping that ORBX creates an App for actual IPADS that we can download to use as the Skypark Interface.  It seems like it should be easy to connect to the sim if you are using the same network/wifi.  

-Preston

Hi Preston!

No need, with Skypad Anywhere technology you can connect from any "actual" iOS or Android device. If it has a browser, you can Skypad ANYWHERE! Oh and no configuration needed at all.

10 hours ago, macca22au said:

I am more than a little uncertain about my reaction to this.  I'm a loner who likes to fly individual flights and take time setting them up, and briefing myself.  I am not all that interested in 'game' playing, and turning simming into an 'experience'.  Yet there are some intriguing aspects to broadening the nature of the experience. 

I shall probably wait for the old hands here to give me there feelings after they have tested it.

Fun isn't for everyone and that's perfectly ok! I hope that over time you feel like you want to add a little more spice to your single player flying. The Skypark is built to maximize single player experiences with my voice,  loadmaster interactions, and on-screen cues. You can however mute our audio channel via The Transponder if you prefer a sterile cockpit.

--------

I hope this helps to answer some questions for everyone and I hope it wasn't too long winded! As always please do feel free to reach out if I can help answer more, I'm always around!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0561c94957625863

Kind regards,

Ivana Fly

Dispatcher & Tech Support

It is a great concept! However, the characters (Narrators in the game) introducing the pilot to Skypark, sounds like Doctor Harry Cooper or one of the hosts of Play School!  I assume this application is not targeting an audience 12yrs and under!

2 hours ago, jasonr71 said:

It is a great concept! However, the characters (Narrators in the game) introducing the pilot to Skypark, sounds like Doctor Harry Cooper or one of the hosts of Play School!  I assume this application is not targeting an audience 12yrs and under!

I'm sorry you feel that way but does my name really matter that much? The future of our industry is in the hands of the youth discovering flight, we all started somewhere. Surely you find no harm in growing the community while being entertained yourself with a purpose? I'll pass on your thoughts to Larry "The Loadmaster" too...

9 hours ago, IvanaFly said:

If you have a VERY specific flight you want to do, let me know what ICAO's via the filters and I'll try to find you a job there. It may not pay much but hey at least you get to where you want to go.

That's very good to hear. I like to explore the world on my own. Some payment for this would be appreciated, and it's perfectly ok that this will not give the best returns, each to his own.

Talking about payments, there is still the issue of what to do with the money you earn. The virtual money is the incentive after all, but if you can only hoard it,

it's not much of an incentive. 

Apart from fees, maintenance and fuel costs, buying your own airplanes would be nice. But this would also require persistance with regard to airplanes.

6 minutes ago, dilo said:

That's very good to hear. I like to explore the world on my own. Some payment for this would be appreciated, and it's perfectly ok that this will not give the best returns, each to his own.

Talking about payments, there is still the issue of what to do with the money you earn. The virtual money is the incentive after all, but if you can only hoard it,

it's not much of an incentive. 

Apart from fees, maintenance and fuel costs, buying your own airplanes would be nice. But this would also require persistance with regard to airplanes.

We're a fairly new company (ClearSky Logistics) so lucky for all new pilots we're incurring many of the costs on your behalf. Once we ensure we've found a well balanced pay scale for everyone and everything, we'll be sure to start passing on some of the costs to you so enjoy making the big bux while you can! ;) Thank's for asking! 

Archived