Can I remember?

VH-KDK

My poor memory along with it being 3 months since I flew an airliner does not bode will for this flight from Haines to Yakutat. I am trying to remember how to set all the things for an ILS landing.

1.CdfW7vj.jpg

An Alaskan Airlines B737-700C is the plane I will try and fly.

2.WskKM3V.jpg

Leaving Mount Ripinsky and PAHN behind. So far I have remembered everything, even the trim which is one I often forget to set.

3.5ExHgXF.jpg

Looking down Chilkoot Inlet towards Ketchican.

4.j7DaD3K.jpg

Below the nose is Paradise Bay and the equally exotically named town of Mud Bay.

5.N2nqRrg.jpg

One last look at Haines before climbing above the clouds. This is Chilkat Inlet.

6.0HYTunh.jpg

After no sight of terra firma for the flight the North Pacific can be seen through a break in the clouds. You can see PAYA in the break.

7.bsBGVNk.jpg

About 5 minutes out of PAYA, I realised there was no signal sounding and I had typed in 110.00. Still no signal as I had typed in 111.00 finally realising the correct frequency is 111.10.

8.xqs7xMq.jpg

The old and the not so old.

9.7IgB1Hz.jpg

The diamonds are in their right place for a perfect touchdown.

10.LMK4jha.jpg

I much prefer the newer Alaskan colours. For some reason my favourite US airline although I have never seen or am I ever likely to see one of their planes. I think Melbourne is too far for them to fly!

I made it down in one piece now all I have to do is try a Scarebus.

Now I do have an Alaskan A320 somewhere.

59 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

Does anyone know how to fly a plane. And who didn’t have The Fish.

well done

Thanks Ken, that took a couple of seconds until I understood .:huh:

Luckily we didn't need a bigger boat!:lol::lol::lol:

glad to see you again Martyn !!!

Great Alaska trip & shots

FYI these last 3 months have been issued 2 wonderful Avro PWS & 621 freeware, a nice C170B by Alabeo and vintage C140 by AH (but you maybe already know them)

(Also a nice long journey in Venezuela B) ... (and very soon a very long trip in Artic areas from Greenland to Alaska)

23 minutes ago, jean marc said:

glad to see you again Martyn !!!

Great Alaska trip & shots

FYI these last 3 months have been issued 2 wonderful Avro PWS & 621 freeware, a nice C170B by Alabeo and vintage C140 by AH (but you maybe already know them)

(Also a nice long journey in Venezuela B) ... (and very soon a very long trip in Artic areas from Greenland to Alaska)

Many thanks Jean Marc, great to be back.

Cheers for the heads up on those planes too.:)

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, bernd1151 said:

Great flying, Martyn. If nothing works out, just fly the lady by hand :) 

Cheers Bernd, yes I have had to resort to that many a time when I get it wrong!:)

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

That was perfect Martyn!  I loved all of them, nice to see these.

Thank you Jack, I get a buzz when those diamonds line up, lucky for me it is only the simplest of planes.:lol:

10 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Orville was the head of whatever agency issued airman certificates at the start.  The name on my last issuance was John H Shaffer - a retired USAF Lt/Col.

The problem with  Whitehead was that there is no photo record of his flight.

The controversy has gone on for years.....but many,including me,believe he beat Orville and Wilbur by several months.

Interesting story,you should Google up Gus and see.....if you haven't already.

:google:

Archived