Australia V2 a few from the outback.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

It's very red isn't it? Can it be made with some more green and a few trees?

Here's what I came up with. Whaddaya think?

I reckon I'll be getting a call from Orbx's design team any time now...

q7azP7e.jpg

On a genuine note, Ian's pics #1, #4 and #9 are great. Looking forward to spending many hours checking out the new and improved Australia.

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

It's very red isn't it? Can it be made with some more green and a few trees?

What you are seeing is pretty much how it is Ron, it's very barren and very brown, believe me, I've been there.

Thanks for the pics Iain.

Don

Wouldnt say brown, its due to the high concentration of iron minerals in the dirt which actually rust that give it that colour

Central, N & NW Australia has the highest concentration of iron ore in the world and some of the oldest rock formations documented in the Kimberley 

17 hours ago, patful said:

Are those parallel lines to the upper left of the lake on #9 a repeating texture or topography?

That's my concern as well.

I know it's LC but I wonder if this is a trend in large areas of AU V2.

1 hour ago, bvdboomen said:

That's my concern as well.

I know it's LC but I wonder if this is a trend in large areas of AU V2.

Not parallel lines .

Please look more carefully !

Hi Ian,

Possibly an impossible question to answer, but just about to update my VR computer (Oculus Rift). Is there any idea what specs would be needed to run the new Australia v2 flying in and around Melbourne (CPU and GPU) to get the visual effect that we are seeing in the photos.  

P.S. wont hold you to it  :D

1 hour ago, COBS said:

Not parallel lines .

Please look more carefully !

I did. I first noticed it in the lake shot in the announcement thread. It looks like a texture with a dark U-shape repeating horizontally and vertically. Won't affect my purchase, and understand it happens with LC, but was hoping the more glaring repeating would be eliminated in this version.

12 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

What you are seeing is pretty much how it is Ron, it's very barren and very brown, believe me, I've been there.

Don

:rolleyes:

I would also assure you foreigners, ie non-Australians and NZers, that the red-brown is absolutely true, and when you fly the red centre as it is known it is the dominant colour. Apart from the high iron content, we also missed out on the Central Rocky Mountains, so no snow and melt water to colour the area, nor a Colorado and other deeply engorged rivers so typical of North America.  Only the occasional massive flood brings the desert to life, then it teems with birds insects, flowers and grass for a short time and then reverts to its basic arid landscape. Lake Eyre in the centre floods rarely but it is a wonderful transformation as the local world comes to life. 

Orbx should never make this short lived landscape as it is so unrepresentative of average conditions...and it is not truly seasonal as it represents the tropical monsoon gone wrong. 

So leave it alone Ron it sure ain't green.  The low hills have emerged in parallel lines, though I too would hate to see the gross tile repetition which dominates AU1 in the Outback (as we call it).  Patful I tend to agree with you, but I can live with this as long as it never obscures other landscape features;  it is after all LC.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:09 AM, Aussieflyer38 said:

Don

Hey Don, Ron's joking :lol::lol:

PS: Not long to wait now!

Bruce_e, the snakes are well distributed in this landscape, so just come down to earth.  However in the towns you might rarely see a snake, but where there's moisture you will get many spiders but I doubt more proportionately than the US or UK.  Of course the big huntsmen spiders with their hairy legs, that are the size of a dinner plate and which scurry up and down your inside walls hunting insects are something else again.  However Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are just big cities like any other, it will be the traffic that puts you at most risk.  However our gun laws are very strict, so in that way you are almost totally safe.

Great shots Iain, I think I see Crocodile Dundee mining some of those rich deposits that the Outback holds. It's the only reason I could go there, Ft. Hood and Ft. Sill was bad enough with its oddities of poisonous snakes, spiders, centipedes, and scorpions. 

Wow, Iain, fabulous shots, and I can't wait to get outback.

I've just installed Ozv2, but spending all my time in my local area first. This is a fantastic update with much, much more detail than the previous version. Much more accurate landclass, too.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:10 PM, M110A2 said:

Sill was bad enough with its oddities of poisonous snakes, spiders, centipedes, and scorpions. 

I have numerous friends and contact saying they would like to visit down under but always make the excuse that they won't go because of all the nasty poisonous critters

I keep reminding them a few simple precautions make the "danger" largely go away

So get packed and go see the greatest continent on earth

... and forget the critters, bugs, creepy crawlies or whatever else you call them!

10 hours ago, aero-3fsx said:

I have numerous friends and contact saying they would like to visit down under but always make the excuse that they won't go because of all the nasty poisonous critters

I keep reminding them a few simple precautions make the "danger" largely go away

So get packed and go see the greatest continent on earth

... and forget the critters, bugs, creepy crawlies or whatever else you call them!

The Land Downunder is on my Bucket List. Rome in August and Pacific Northwest Cruise next summer. I know how to prepare for precautions it's just getting the Mrs. who is weary and tantalized by bugs and such and she needs to be convinced that it's safe. I would love to see some of those big spiders that I have seen on YouTube videos.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 8:01 PM, M110A2 said:

The Land Downunder is on my Bucket List. Rome in August and Pacific Northwest Cruise next summer. I know how to prepare for precautions it's just getting the Mrs. who is weary and tantalized by bugs and such and she needs to be convinced that it's safe. I would love to see some of those big spiders that I have seen on YouTube videos.

Sell her with a nice collection of good tourist photos & just don't mention the bugs

Archived