i9 9900k

Ben77

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For this generation of Intel CPUs, you should go with a mainboard that has the Z390 chipset. Z, because you want to overclock those -K CPUs, 390 because that is the chipset designed to support those CPUs.

The "older" chipset, the Z370, is also capable of running the 9900K, but only when the BIOS is updated.

However, for P3D alone, I would rather go with the 9700K instead (8 cores no HT). The 9900K and its hyperthreaded cores do not help you much in P3D (if at all).

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

However, for P3D alone, I would rather go with the 9700K instead (8 cores no HT). The 9900K and its hyperthreaded cores do not help you much in P3D (if at all).

Ah that’s interesting, thanks AnkH.

I have a i7-9700K on my new rig with a Z370 motherboard and it talks rather well with 

my RTX-2080. I came to the conclusion that the extra expense for anything beefier was

a waste of money for me. I am still installing all my ORBX stuff but it handles TEGB at

a doddle.

Kevin

Hello Ben77,

I am currently using the i9-9900K with a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Motherboard combined with 32GB ram with a GTX2080TI GPU, and in my opinion it runs just like magic. I run all Orbx products as well as many other add-ons. Never misses a beat. Very happy with my upgrade. Just don't tell my wife.

Cheers

Sam

10 hours ago, greybeard said:

I have a i7-9700K on my new rig with a Z370 motherboard and it talks rather well with 

my RTX-2080....

Hey Kevin, sounds like the i7 9700k is definitely a contender then, thanks! ;)

7 hours ago, aviator49 said:

I am currently using the i9-9900K with a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Motherboard combined with 32GB ram with a GTX2080TI GPU, and in my opinion it runs just like magic.

Looks like you have the ultimate computer Sam! :o It's good to hear that that set up works for P3Dv4

Thank you everyone for the feedback, it is really helping me make my decision :D As computers are expensive here in Aus I really want to know my stuff before I commit to such an investment.

Doug, don't you get tired by jumping into all hw threads and advertising a not yet released CPU? Furthermore, those numbers in the video are nice, sure, but it is not specified which of the new Ryzen 3000 they show. If it is the top model 3800X (what I guess), you will have a CPU with 16 cores plus SMT that outruns the 9900K with 8 cores plus HT by a solid 0.83% in Cinebench 15 Multithread test that scales very well with more cores... What will this tell us regarding P3D performance, where single-core speed is still the most important aspect of the CPU? Exactly, little to nothing...

Don't get me wrong, the Ryzen 3000 series CPU will be a true alternative to Intel (already the 2000 series is) for many scenarios (gaming, rendering), but I doubt that for best results in P3D, it will be a game changer. If, then maybe the smaller 6-8 core variants that will be a lot cheaper than the 9900K/9700K. But until they are released and properly tested, it is just guessing...

Hi

I am just sharing in case some are not aware, there is an alternative upgrade able platform coming soon, and the current Intel CPU architecture is at end of life. 

The video clearly states that the comparison is 8 core 16 thread Intel against 8 core 16 thread Ryzen. Which would make the Ryzen CPU a mid range engineering sample, not the final top tier Ryzen, and definitely worth waiting for them to be "released and properly tested".

Just trying to help fellow simmers. And no, I will not get tired of that. :)

Hey Ben just finish my new build with the i9-9900k paired with the ASUS Maximus Hero XI WiFi and I can say it is a beast and performs very, very good. As Doug mentioned AMD does have some processors coming down the pipe line they very well may be worth the wait! My system was getting old and causing me to become an expert at re-downloading everything; not a good position to be in! In my case I needed a quick fix so I took the plunge, not a mistake but there may be a cheaper way to go about it if time is on your side. The performance gain will mainly depend on how you set this thing up, right now I have mine overclocked to run at about 4.9 and the jury is still out for me on whether this overclocking is even worth it. The thing everyone gets caught up on are all of these cores and threads, do you really see it in terms of performance...or is all of this just bragging rights? What I had before was a i7-74790k and it ran great 4.0 right out of the box, a 5 year old processor; (still good today)! Did I see an increase in speed with the i9-9900k, absolutely yes it  combined with a new mother board and ram made this system very fast with little effort and the sim is smooth as butter. All that being said I am seeing many people wit i3's and i5's running very fast as well so is the i9 even necessary? My purpose for the build I did was to get a system ready for these larger photo real sceneries and to prepare the system for Virtual Reality, the jury is still out on will this system be ready; hopefully it is! Prepared is not the only sim I run and I also do some gaming that does utilize more than 1 core. Final thought on this was it worth it, in my case I I just made up my mind and did it with no regret whatsoever!   

10 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

I am just sharing in case some are not aware, there is an alternative upgrade able platform coming soon, and the current Intel CPU architecture is at end of life.

Thanks Doug, I am not familiar with AMD and I hope they do become an alternative to Intel soon, thanks for the link

6 hours ago, Cyclone1 said:

Final thought on this was it worth it, in my case I I just made up my mind and did it with no regret whatsoever!   

Thanks Cyclone1, I think I am in a similar situation to you.

So to summarise my thoughts at this stage;

i7 9700k and i9 9900k are both viable choices. Both use solder instead of paste for better heat transfer, both have high turbo freq 4.9/5.0 respectively and can overclock all 8 cores if required. This is important as my current i7-4790k @ 4GHz (which for the most part runs P3Dv4 fairly well) has core 1 maxed out 100% of the time and the other 3 cores max out when I run into dense scenery and start to cause intermittent freezes of 3-10 seconds (which is what this upgrade is all about)

The i7 is about $165AUD cheaper than the i9

My 980 Ti GPU mostly runs around 30-50% but I believe an upgrade here will help with frame rates in heavy weather and over photoreal scenery etc. (I run a 1440p Acer X34 Monitor) Looks like the 2080 series is all that's available with 11GB at the moment averaging near $2000AUD a pop, Inno3D cards are a lot cheaper at around $1500AUD tho.

I still have a few weeks before I make my decision...

Hello All,

Thanks Ben77. Happy with current rig. Great info Doug. Thanks for finding the link. I use to run an AMD rig before I got hooked on ORBX. Will be interesting to see the new AMD stuff for sure.

Got to love technology.

cheers

Sam

No worries Ben I too am somewhat unfamiliar with AMD, it has been many years since i have used that CPU! Your choices are good both Intel Processors will run like crazy. My thought before pulling the plug was just jump in and do it as I do not build every year; we all know how expensive this gets. The i7-9700k or i9-9900k will run circles around the i7-4790k, that is the very processor I just upgraded from. That said the i7-4790k served me long and well, a very good processor. I to was having the stutter issue and I am sure it was a combination of just outdated hardware. Speaking of graphics I went from an ASUS GeForce 970 to a ASUS RTX2080ti and the improvement was out of the ball park, so to speak. I know all this stuff hits the bank hard but I said to heck with it, its going down and that was that! If you do this I think you are going to be really happy with your new super performance computer!  

And again one of those biased reports that do not even show the results they based their conclusion on. Even more, if your READ it, it says for example in the text undeneath the "winner" 2600: "The 8400 still retains a slight gaming performance lead, but the fact the Ryzen 5 2600 costs considerably less..."

Now put this in relation to P3D, where, I repeat, single-core power is still more important than anything else and as such not entirely comparable with "gaming". If even this report states that a "lousy" Intel i5-8400 retains a slight gaming performance lead and only due to the price tag they put the 2600 on top, you can be pretty sure that a 8700K, 9700K or 9900K will deliver better results in P3D than any currently available Ryzen CPU...

This article is just a very bad example. Other reviews put the Ryzen at least on par with the "bigger" Intel CPUs and with numbers instead of biased text, for example:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_2600x_review,20.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_9600k_processor_review,22.html

On 5/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, aviator49 said:

Hello Ben77,

I am currently using the i9-9900K with a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Motherboard combined with 32GB ram with a GTX2080TI GPU, and in my opinion it runs just like magic. I run all Orbx products as well as many other add-ons. Never misses a beat. Very happy with my upgrade. Just don't tell my wife.

Cheers

Sam

Hi aviator 49,

Could you tell which CPU cooler you are using with this i9 9900k?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Find one with the best cpus for flightsims…..

Post that and it would be useful.

I am already getting amazing performance "for flightsims" from my 2nd generation 2700x Ryzen, and I am very excited for the soon coming 7nm 3rd generation upgrade that will probably see another substantial performance increase (with single thread performance as well), and I may not even need a new mobo. Then, there will be even more Ryzen upgrades in the near future for the same AM4 CPU platform. I will most certainly keep you updated on the performance I am getting with these. :)

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

And again one of those biased reports that do not even show the results they based their conclusion on.

Was just intended as an example of how the CPU landscape is changing or has changed drastically, one is still stuck on the old 14nm architecture (several generations now, 6700k, 7700k, 8700k, and now the 9700k) that has done very well for it's life span. And one has a positive forward moving trend to the 7nm technology and beyond. All of us would rather not see any of our fellow flightsimmers feel left behind by not being able to run the new upcoming flightsim software that may start to max out their current hardware. :) Will Intel be able to squeeze any more performance out of their old 14nm tech? or has the 9900k maxed it out?

I'm waiting for the great leap forward beyond everything out there now.

until that comes along, "photo real" as it stands today, really isn't all that to my pair of eyes that looked out of cockpits for 20+ years.

When it finally gets there, both my checkbook and I will be right there to buy it.

Hello Traveller,

A very important question. I have a Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid CPU cooler. I also run a "fluid gaming" A120 water cooling system for my GPU GTX2080Ti.

Cheers

Sam

13 hours ago, aviator49 said:

Hello Traveller,

A very important question. I have a Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid CPU cooler. I also run a "fluid gaming" A120 water cooling system for my GPU GTX2080Ti.

Cheers

Sam

I had an H80i and I traded it for an H150i to support that i9 9900k CPU. However I see now that I could have kept the H80i though.:(

Thank you mate.;)

Well I did it :o

Fractal Design Define S2 TG Mid-Tower ATX Case - Gunmetal

Intel Core i9 9900K Octa Core LGA 1151 3.60GHz Unlocked CPU Processor

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB Video Card

Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Memory Black

2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe 1.3 M.2

Corsair RM850x 850W 80 Plus V2 Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Thanks again everyone for helping me make an informed decision for my PC build :D

1 hour ago, Aussie123 said:

I know I shouldn't ask Ben but what does an impressive system like that cost in AUD?

I'll PM you Aussie

33 minutes ago, lawrence aldrich said:

And don't forget to buy a wheelbarrow to transport the funds !!!!

no money left for a wheelbarrow Lawrence!

Your system is gonna be great Ben, really good setup! That Gigabyte MB is sweet I was really on the fence and sorta wished I got that versus the ASUS Maximus Hero XI; both great boards! Let me know how the build is going or went and happy flying to you Sir! Congrad's on the new rocket setup!

1 hour ago, Cyclone1 said:

Your system is gonna be great Ben, really good setup! That Gigabyte MB is sweet I was really on the fence and sorta wished I got that versus the ASUS Maximus Hero XI; both great boards! Let me know how the build is going or went and happy flying to you Sir! Congrad's on the new rocket setup!

Thanks Cyclone,

There are so many setups to go with it's hard to know what will work best. I will definitely let you know how this one goes so others can make an informed decision on their next PC build too.

Thanks Ben for the reply and also I never stated why it was a toss up between the 2 motherboards ASUS or Gigabyte. As everyone knows by now all this RBG stuff on motherboards and lighting can turn into a real mess with syncing everything! In general the MB hardware is great, on the flip side the RGB software cn be a pain, I know as I am going through that right now, Aura Sync! Just plan everything out for compatibility and keep your fingers crossed it all works! I am not really into my system looking like a unicorn threw up on it as I prefer a solid color lighting; just my preference, lol. Software for lightening can become very troublesome especially all this rub stuff! As if just dealing with flights in software was not enough, in a nut shell simpler is much, much less to deal with! Let me know how that Gigabyte lighting software is going, great I hope! I am still wrestling with ASUS and Aura Sync only time will tell. So far ASUS has been very responsive all the way up to the corporate level on tech support; very happy about that for sure! Yell at me when you finish Ben!

8 hours ago, Cyclone1 said:

I am not really into my system looking like a unicorn threw up on it as I prefer a solid color lighting; just my preference, lol.

Yeah I'm right with you there, sometimes more is definitely not better esp re: RGBs! :blink:

This is really worth a look at, not to mention his other Youtube videos that really addresses many of the questions we keep asking about the performance of different hardware (RAM, GPU, etc).  The videos are basic and easy to understand and eye-opening!

On 5/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, Ben77 said:

...[snip]       Does the sim use all 8 cores?

OK, Ben - a little late, but most people don't know that P3Dv4 multithreads very well. See pics here-

https://imgur.com/a/LuU1ruC

More cores/threads gives you more smoothness (less stutter) even with much less GHz and IPC, and lets you run more detail consistently in P3Dv4.

Many don't realise that the need for high GHz and IPC is now gone for simming with P3Dv4. The nature of the performance has changed if you bring more cores/threads into the equation.

With just 3.4 GHZ and moderate IPC, but 16 threads, as the pics show, you can get a great sim performance, and fantastic steady smoothness, with maximum detail, even in complex TrueEarth HD scenery, and with sliders maxed. No stutter is the biggest drawcard for the 8 core+/16 thread+  cpus. No need for 5 GHz or overclocking if you've got the threads.

eg. Something like the 9700K has only 8 threads and NO multithreading, and won't be able to run as much detail without stutter, even if it is overclocked. It is great for 1080p gaming if that is your thing, but not so for 4K max slider P3Dv4. Intel's new security mediations, advising all recent cpu's to turn off multithreading will introduce more stutter into the sim, unless you back off the sliders, if you are affected by that.

tl:dr        MORE CORES    =    SMOOTHNESS and DETAIL   less stutter

HIGH GHz  and IPC =   HIGHER ULTIMATE FPS  but not necessarily without stutter and less detail for smoothness

On 5/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, AnkH said:

See reply above and check the pics.

P3Dv4 really takes advantage of hyperthreading.

Things have changed in the P3Dv4 universe. 5 GHz no longer needed.

Ben are you getting everything dialed in to that new rig you built? Mine is pretty much up an running now after 4 or 5 hiccups. My biggest issue was with Aura Sync Lightening not recognizing the motherboard. Kinda weird program, it works with Thermaltake fans and NZXT Kracken 62x, but gives its' own brand  hardware a hard time! Well, spent the last week on the phone with ASUS and of course they cannot figure out. Lucky for me I played with long and hard enough to get things up and running, the build was easy the software was a pain in the neck! 

@Cyclone1

Yeah, your sim should be fantastic with a 9900K. It is currently the best cpu out there for P3Dv4. It has the trifecta - 16 threads, high GHz and high IPC. Further down the Intel chain, not so much.

When it is released in a few months, I'm looking forward to seeing how an R3900X with 24 threads performs. It's nearly 50% higher clock, and much higher IPC than my 1st gen R1700, which already does brilliantly.  I expect mucho electron crunching, and again superb performance.

Thank heavens Lockheed Martin did what others (XP 11) didn't, and gave us a sim that uses everything you've got under the bonnet.

@AnkH

You are now quite wrong, and out of touch with P3Dv4 when you state " I repeat, single-core power is still more important than anything else ". I am replying to you as your posts seemed so vehement regarding what is now out of date, and old thinking.

P3Dv4 multithreads extremely well, and if you have enough cores and threads, you NO LONGER need high GHz or high IPC.

Proof - https://imgur.com/a/LuU1ruC

This incredible performance is done at 'just' 3.4 GHz on a cpu of modest IPC. But it runs hard on ALL 16 threads giving fantastic smooth sim performance. And this is 2 year old tech with no Ti graphics.

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting a R3900X with 24 threads and 50% more clock speed and much higher IPC than my 'old dunger' that still performs so well.

Thank heavens for Lockheed Martin's programmers and engineers, that now let you use all your hardware's potential, rather than it just snoozing in your case.

Cheers

Archived