Australia V2 for P3D and FSX: Official Announcement!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Just Wow! First off, what a remarkable announcement post just to kick this whole thing off....great work on that alone Jarrad! And what an All-Star Orbx team working on this scenery package....my oh my! As many other, the original AUS Orbx packages were my first foray into FTX land and they hooked me from the very first flight. This is an AMAZING looking return to Orbx roots and I am excited indeed. I still fly in the current FTX AUS packages, which I love, so this V2 scenery is going to be an absolute blast! And, thanks for the 40% discount to boot for previous Orbx AUS purchasers! Can't wait for this one...

Amazing work, and so cheap..I don't know how they did it for the price..particularly when it's the whole of Aus in one hit.. I Remember the  first  release was in sections.

What an incredible scenery.. Bring it on. Terry.

7 hours ago, Flukey said:

Flightsim being an old engine still see's it as YBMC unfortunately, there is a work around by creating a dummy afcad named YBMC then creating YBSU which I did for my OZx sunshine coast scenery but it also means you have to update a lot of Ai flightplans if you use Ai as they still use the old YBMC..

Same reason why Coffs harbour is YSCH rather then YCFS in flightsim

8 hours ago, mrd0ct0r said:

Outstanding. Absolutely 1st day upgrade for me.

But since it's my home strip, gonna speak up for it. Not sure if your interactive map is out of date (the 'google maps thing') but Sunshine Coast Airport changed from YBMC -> YBSU long ago.

I also think that it's impossible to remove an existing default airport from the FSX / P3D database completely. If you create a new airport with the correct ICAO code the old one will still appear on the ATC airport selection screen, the navigation map, the GPS and so on. Most developers obviously think it's better to keep the old code rather than having to interfering codes in the scenery. 

Edit : And for the scenery itself, day one purchase for me, too. I love Australia and this new iteration clearly shows that the large scale landclass approach interspersed with small photoreal areas for scenery creation can still vastly improve your flying experience, despite the True Earth product line becoming the new standard for ORBX at the moment. 

12 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Thanks guys, there are still a couple of things the guys want to tweak with Sydney before we show that off. Fear not though, these shots are only a tiny taste of what this scenery includes; we'll be posting plenty more pics over the coming weeks :)

Hi Jarrad

Question as I didn't see this in the FAQ and it is one many people could ask

Is Fly Tampa Sydney compatible yet with Australia v2 or did you make a Sydney airport yourselves among those 500 airports?

Thanks

Carlos

3 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Hi Jarrad

Is Fly Tampa Sydney compatible yet with Australia v2 or did you make a Sydney airport yourselves among those 500 airports?

Thanks

Carlos

An incompatibility is a no-go.

Thank you ORBX. Looks overwhelmingly brilliant. I hope YMHB gets some sort of update to go with YMLT.

A big thanks for the discount as well. I still have my AU disk from the early days. Of course it just gathers dust but I cannot bring myself to throw it out.

Bernie

6 hours ago, Almedin said:

Awesome! Is FPS better than v1 in P3Dv4?

I'm sure we'd be looking at FPS equivalent to the newer ORBX products. E.g. KSAN, Santa Barbara etc. which are all excellent.

V1 of Australia was the first ever ORBX product so there wasn't as much knowledge on performance/quality techniques at the time. 

Brilliant!!!  I am most excited about the additional upgraded airports - the one drawback to the original AU was that, with such a massive land area to cover, the landscape at times felt a bit empty for VFR flight even with the OZx add-ons, because you might have significant distances between the payware Orbx airports.  This will make exploring the landscape even more interesting!

Might have to complete my collection of Orbx AU airports in preparation during the May sale 8)

1 hour ago, JJJackson said:

You should have learnt by now that an Aimee "Soon" means "Mañana", as we say here in Spain and that means "some time in the future",

so put it on your Christmas wish list. :D :rolleyes:

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Sorry Jack, I can't agree with this definition by you. I turn 70 tomorrow and Christmas is too late! It has to be released in May!^-^

Thank you all for the overwhelming response, given how hard Holger and the team are working the background, we've all been delighted at the feedback and questions so far. 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, Bram Stikkel said:

1. Because Australia v2 comes with mesh, could you by that time, add instructions about which files of FS Global products should be de-activated.. Just switching off Oceania, would affect other area's too.
2. How about the compatability of the OZx addons? With so many new airports, I could imagine, there is going to be some overlap.

1. For sure. AUv2 is designed to be a totally stand-alone product; no other mesh/vector/landclass product will improve on what we've got included in this package. 

2. We've been in touch with a few of the OzX developers (who you will see are also active on the forums) - once the product is released we'll be facilitating them as they look at any potential issues. 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, tangocharlie123 said:

Once you have released this will you fix YTYA

We have a service pack for Tyabb which is currently in beta testing. 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, pmb said:

Given you make this announcement, may I ask if you were involved in the project yourself?

Exactly like you, I have only been an eager bystander on this project, keenly watching the development going on behind the scenes. I am more than busy enough with my own airport project at the moment, but the guys were kind enough to let me post a few screenshots :)

On 5/13/2019 at 3:49 PM, craigeaglefire said:

could you please also supply some screenshots that show seasons - a current hot topic - & huge advantage of P3D+...

We'll definitely include a few more shots of different seasons in the coming weeks - these were just a small taste. Agree with your sentiments though - the seasons really bring all the difference when flying at different times of year. Interesting to note for European and American simmers is that for many areas in southern Australia, winter is the greenest part of year. 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:16 PM, craigeaglefire said:

i wonder if you have included Byron Bay lighthouse? - regarded as most Easterly point of Oz...

Byron Bay lighthouse can be found there perched up on the hill - it is not a custom model but an excellent representation of the real thing. The mesh looks particularly great for this part of the world too. 

On 5/13/2019 at 6:47 PM, mrd0ct0r said:

But since it's my home strip, gonna speak up for it. Not sure if your interactive map is out of date (the 'google maps thing') but Sunshine Coast Airport changed from YBMC -> YBSU long ago.

23 hours ago, Flukey said:

Flightsim being an old engine still see's it as YBMC unfortunately, there is a work around by creating a dummy afcad named YBMC then creating YBSU which I did for my OZx sunshine coast scenery but it also means you have to update a lot of Ai flightplans if you use Ai as they still use the old YBMC..

16 hours ago, fabs79 said:

I also think that it's impossible to remove an existing default airport from the FSX / P3D database completely. If you create a new airport with the correct ICAO code the old one will still appear on the ATC airport selection screen, the navigation map, the GPS and so on. Most developers obviously think it's better to keep the old code rather than having to interfering codes in the scenery. 

This is absolutely is on the money - it is one of the annoyances of the ESP engine that renaming the ICAO for an existing airport brings far too more trouble than it's worth. YBMC (YBSU) has received a great upgrade (and the new mesh really makes a difference to the surrounding Glasshouse Mountains), however the ICAO will remain the same for the reasons outlined.

21 hours ago, TerryM said:

Is there an official list of the airports included yet and/or any official detail on whether it plays nicely with the OzX airports. 

G'day Terry - the interactive map will show you the latest batch of airports that included (denoted with an aircraft icon). Note that this will increase slightly for release, we already have a few new strips that are being worked on at the moment. 

20 hours ago, F737NG said:

Can I ask to see Sydney CBD, the Three Sisters, and the Twelve Apostles plus London Bridge arch in a future set of preview shots please?

Absolutely - we'll include shots of Sydney in upcoming previews, and can definitely get some shots of those other areas too. 

18 hours ago, B1900Mech said:

Wow! I cant wait to get my hands on this! Is YMHB Hobart being updated,and can you show screenshots?

13 hours ago, coully said:

Whats happening with Bankstown Airport?

10 hours ago, BernieFlyer said:

I hope YMHB gets some sort of update to go with YMLT.

Absolutely guys - just to reiterate that every default airport in the AUv2 coverage area (all 370 of them) as well as 280 new airports have been given an upgrade with improved/updated layouts to match 2018/2019 reality, along with the usual ORBX regional goodies such as statics, library models, vehicles, PeopleFlow, etc. Major airports have got dynamic wind socks (a first for region-standard airports), and all airports are tweaked for use with the various AU AI packs for FSX/P3D1-3 and the new AU AI P3Dv4 pack. If you consider that the previous default airports date from 2005, many major Aussie airports will look very different (Perth, Canberra etc). A couple of our airports (including a few of the RAAF bases) even include custom models. 

If you have any of our recent landclass Region products (Germany North/South, Northern/Southern California, etc) you'll have a good idea of what to expect with our updated airports. They are designed to be a good middle ground between default and standalone-payware quality. So in summary - yes, all your requested airports (including Perth, Sydney, Hobart/Cambridge, etc) will all see big improvements :)

22 hours ago, SquireAus said:

With Aus V2, the plans for the other national airports may soon come out to play? And any updates to existing airports?

I see YPPH on the dev map... us Perthites have been waiting like monks for Perth Airport for over 20 years....

21 hours ago, Aussiesky said:

How about Perth airport and its surroundings? 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, Ticker7 said:

This looks amazing but what about Perth has it had anything done to either the airport or the city as all we currently have is jandakot unlike Melbourne which this will be the third revamp since it came out, do the developers not think it warrants a makeover?

20 hours ago, tennyson said:

I'm sure Jarrad is from Perth (Sandgroper!) and a while back he was talking about a Perth scenery after the project he was working on.

Perth is getting some good love and attention in AUv2, we'll include more shots in the coming weeks - obviously this includes both airports and metro area. One of the interesting changes for me was the drastic improvements to the southern and northern suburbs - considering the changes in infrastructure and suburb growth since 2008, this is head and shoulders above what we have been used to. Taking a short flight around Murrayfield looks very different in AUv2 :)

As to new stand-alone payware airports for Australia - alongside our recent Gold Coast Intl, Gold Coast CityScene and Tyabb releases, yes we do have all-new projects currently in development. I also think at this point it is fair to say that my current project is a fairly open secret, though I am not quite ready to preview it, I'm very sorry :)

15 hours ago, carlosqr said:

3 hours ago, Deanne said:

Jarrad mate I'm in but a question for the moment from me is i have FLY TAMPA SYDNEY will there be a problem with this ? Thanks

We have done some preliminary testing with FlyTampa YSSY and so far, everything is looking good, though this is subject to final checks. But rest assured, ensuring compatibility for this airport is important for us too :)

Thanks guys, and keep the questions coming. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Jarrad, your responses will, I am sure , mean that us lot are even keener to get our hands on this. I hope the FPS can be reasonable for those who have middle power systems. My 1060 and 4790K @ 4.6 ghz are just good enough at the intensive airports but I am sure you will be making this as efficient as possible.

Bernie

Again a very impressive realisation from Jarrad and the team to please us with 'as real as it gets' marvelous scenery. Looking forward to the release and will happely fly again

in the well known areas from v1 but via the v2 with more exciting real-looking areas of Cities, Coasts, Mountains and other inland goodies. I reserved already enough SSD-place... 

Archived