P3D V4.5 Heavy performance impact with Orbx Germany South / North

For me fps looks ok in 4.5 on default region (Vector and Global only plus LC) but I agree, something is wrong over Germany. I unticked all settings in Control panel of this region and fps goes here are on the level 30-60, before I had near 70-90 here with the same situations.

This is interesting: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=133165&start=60#p196540 .

It seems that the ORBX fps loss is constant as it was and the issue comes from the P3D itself (at least from the measurements done by Rob). 

On my side, as I was with fps locked at 30 and I deactivated the ORBX Germany, the fps clearly went up from 16 fps to 30fps. So I could not see the default fps loss.

Anyway, the ORBX fps loss is still considerable too (around 15fps..), perhaps they can also improve it. But in the end, the initial drop comes from LM it seems.

Lets see what will come up from LM and ORBX on this.

The test result from Rob tells me that the problem lies with the latest update from LM. Orbx region packs has always had some kind of performance impact, which is perfectly normal considering the amount of details the sim has to work with. The Orbx performance impact have always been manageable with the correct settings, but with the new update from LM I went from a steady 30 fps (locked) at KSFO with Orbx and Flightbeam installed, to 15-19 fps with the exact same setup and scenario (PMDG NGX, Flightbeam KSFO and Orbx region pack for that area). 

4.5 brings something with it that causes this. If the solution is for Orbx to make some changes to their products to fully work with 4.5 or of LM has to release a fix for some faulty code on their side is yet to be figured out.

While I wait I have gone back to 4.4 and will monitor the situation before updating to 4.5. 

6 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Similar here.  I have 32Gb physical RAM so I'm not running out of that (yet) but I am seeing up to 20Gb total used so I can understand why some people with 16Gb are having more pronounced problems.   I also have a 2080Ti and its 11Gb vRAM is being maxed out even on relatively low settings.  (This is TE-GB south P3D as I dont own Germany)

Yes, this issue is not limited to Germany. While I could confirm it over Germany numerically (numbers given before), I can at least confirm there is a similar fps drop in TE GB, which is even more severe as this one performed marginally already before. Strangely enough, there is only a minor fps drop in NCA (San Francisco Bay region).

Kind regards, Michael

I don't usually bother to check FPS but I've been reading all this and thought I would check while flying over Orbx Germany. I had a shock.  I was only getting 10 fps but the flight was smooth down to the ground with no shakes or stutters.

My settings are all reasonable so I guess I'm just lucky.

John

Same problems. True Earth NL can't run that because 1) Loading times are + 20min 2) Blurry textures because CPU is constantly maxed out. (in 4.4 with same settings not the case)

Regions Norway and Germany also maxes out cpu under same conditions but only stutters there. No blurries. Flying over just global FPS are +40 depending on the settings.

So v4.5 doesn't work at all for me. Didn't try GES or GEN but the England Region including HD airports

and had very bad framerates and stutters and so on. This was first using the new client and than the content as well.

Didn't see faster loading times as well and the 6% bug was still active. 

Now I am back to v4.4 and it's all perfect, framerates minimum 30 and no stutters and high settings.

This all happened using a new WIN10 1809 patch which they recently installed on my system.

Cheers

Andreas 

23 hours ago, Stian Rolandsen said:

The test result from Rob tells me that the problem lies with the latest update from LM. Orbx region packs has always had some kind of performance impact, which is perfectly normal considering the amount of details the sim has to work with. The Orbx performance impact have always been manageable with the correct settings, but with the new update from LM I went from a steady 30 fps (locked) at KSFO with Orbx and Flightbeam installed, to 15-19 fps with the exact same setup and scenario (PMDG NGX, Flightbeam KSFO and Orbx region pack for that area). 

4.5 brings something with it that causes this. If the solution is for Orbx to make some changes to their products to fully work with 4.5 or of LM has to release a fix for some faulty code on their side is yet to be figured out.

While I wait I have gone back to 4.4 and will monitor the situation before updating to 4.5. 

Notes:
For all my normal flights on my older system (FSX / P3D) , I use Locked 20 FPS.
I do not have Orbx Germany South / North so cannot do test there.

My quick test, P3dv4.5 (Client, Content, Scenery) 2 monitors

KSFO with Orbx and Flightbeam , PMDG 737NGX, SODE Jetways in use at all gates.

Locked 20 VC cockpit view, non gate parking = 19 to 20
Locked 20 External view, non gate parking = 19 to 20

Locked 30 VC cockpit view, non gate parking = 29 to 30
Locked 30 External view, non gate parking = 29 to 30

Unilmited VC cockpit view, non gate parking = 45 to 49
Unilmited external view , non gate parking = 58 to 61

Locked 20  VC cockpit view, gate parking, SODE Jetways, 19 to 20
Locked 20  external view, gate parking, SODE Jetways, 19 to 20

Locked 30 external view, gate parking, SODE Jetways, 29 to 30
Locked 30 VC cockpit view, gate parking, SODE Jetways, 29 - 30

Unilmited VC cockpit view, gate parking, SODE Jetways, 39-42
Unilmited external view, gate parking, SODE Jetways, 55 to 67

33 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Notes:

Do you have Orbx NA NCA installed? 

The additional details that NCA brings has always put a bigger strain on my system, but on prior versions of P3D I could easily get 30 fps in the SFO area with it installed. I know FTX regions has a performance hit, and as stated earlier it is to be expected with the level of detail it adds. If you tests is without NCA it only proves that the problem is with P3D4.5 and the way it handles the increased amount of details in the scenery. The solution could be that LM need to release a hotfix for their 4.5 release, but it could also be that Orbx and other developers need to update their products to take into account new features from LM. However Robs test do show a significant drop in frames(29.7%) between a default 4.4 and a default 4.5. This leads me to conclude that the issue is up to LM to fix.

Link to Robs post on the LM forums: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=133165&start=60#p196540

17 minutes ago, Stian Rolandsen said:

Do you have Orbx NA NCA installed? 

The additional details that NCA brings has always put a bigger strain on my system, but on prior versions of P3D I could easily get 30 fps in the SFO area with it installed. I know FTX regions has a performance hit, and as stated earlier it is to be expected with the level of detail it adds. If you tests is without NCA it only proves that the problem is with P3D4.5 and the way it handles the increased amount of details in the scenery. The solution could be that LM need to release a hotfix for their 4.5 release, but it could also be that Orbx and other developers need to update their products to take into account new features from LM. However Robs test do show a significant drop in frames(29.7%) between a default 4.4 and a default 4.5. This leads me to conclude that the issue is up to LM to fix.

Link to Robs post on the LM forums: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=133165&start=60#p196540

Yes, I have Orbx Norther California.

If you had mentioned it in your post I would also have originally included that information ... I will go back and edit the post to include it. Too late, cannot edit my last post now.

Basically, I am not having a problem with Orbx products or P3Dv4.5.

8 minutes ago, Stian Rolandsen said:

Ahh, I see now that I forgot that bit of information.

Another bit of info that was left out is that my flight was during night. 

All my testing for FPS was done at night also:

fps-ksfo-tests (5).JPG

5 hours ago, vonmar said:

Notes:

Did you talk about fps drop / or not with.... locked FPS test? LOL.

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

Did you talk about fps drop / or not with.... locked FPS test? LOL.

No, I am simply saying what my FPS is in the test.

19 to 20 (cycling between 19 and 20 FPS).

The previous post I was responding to mentioned:

" with the new update from LM I went from a steady 30 fps (locked) at KSFO with Orbx and Flightbeam installed, to 15-19 fps with the exact same setup and scenario (PMDG NGX, Flightbeam KSFO and Orbx region pack for that area).  "

It seems that all Orbx regions are affected by this.

I'm having the same issue, but with the "classic" Orbx England.

I did a clean install of the 4.5, and sitting in UK2000 EGLL with Orbx England, I can barely get 15 fps. Disabling England brings fps to 40+

In 4.4 and earlier versions I've had about 30 fps with Orbx England enabled.

Archived