First ever 100% PBR airport coming to P3D/XP11

Hello all,

We have been working with the (now in-house) Turbulent Aviation team on establishing a true end-to-end PBR workflow for the creation of P3D/XP11 airports. You will soon be shown some spectacular preview shots of our first airport to be built using 100% compliance to the correct PBR standards for all materials.

This workflow allows us to release for both P3Dv4 and XP11 at the same time, or near enough to the same time, scheduling permitting.

In the meantime, let me preview you two screenshots which highlight the details not only on the ground services equipment but also on the apron on which they sit.

PBR-1.jpg

PBR-2.jpg

To view these full size, click on each so it appears in its own broswer tab, then click again to zoom.

The incredible level of detail on the baggage lifter does not mean it is an FPS hog. The original model was made up of over 24 million polygons and that model was used to create the PBR map for a lower poly target. This means you get the benefit of insane amounts of detail without the high-poly penalty.

Likewise, with the entire airport being PBR, the apron reflects light based on each material used such as asphalt, paint, metal grates and puddles etc. The lighting changes depending on the time of day, level of cloud cover, rain etc.

Please don't ask where this airport is; we won't reveal it until it is in beta, which should be around the end of this month or early May.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

[...]

This workflow allows us to release for both P3Dv4 and XP11 at the same time, or near enough to the same time, scheduling permitting.[...]

Very promising this workflow.
If everything happens as planned, it will really be a major improvement in production efficiency for both simulators.

Good luck to the team.;)

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

two screenshots which highlight the details not only on the ground services equipment but also on the apron on which they sit.

Question for you. Can PBR be done on generic runway and apron textures in P3D? Reason I ask is it would be great to fly into any airport and see some level of PBR on all runways and aprons.

Looks fantastic! Glad I'm on this bus!

I'm also glad I am a bit older and have seen the evolution of flight sims since the beginning. 

Change and advances used to come so slowly. Remember how long it took until we could fill our screens with autogen without a slideshow happening?

Times they are a changin' - on this technological hyperbolic curve that we are on. 

59 minutes ago, John Venema said:

You cannot retro-fit PBR. It is an integral part of the core design process and adds at least 25% more development time. For this reason our 100% PBR airports will carry a premium price tag.

That suggests airports not previously given the OrbX treatment, or does it? B)

1 hour ago, Er!k said:

Very nice! I also think it is London City airport. Compare gate 9 to Google Maps :)

I think you'll find its actually gate 6 ;)

If so, BUG REPORT: the dashed yellow line into the gate is possibly slightly misrepresented...

32 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I think you'll find its actually gate 6 ;)

If so, BUG REPORT: the dashed yellow line into the gate is possibly slightly misrepresented...

Its a dead give away.

Keep in mind that we don´t know how old Google Map imagery is. Maybe ORBX´s is simply more up to date and therefor correct. 

Anyhow, very much looking forward to it.

I don't regret any second bought an RTX 2080TI! It is worth more and more everytime I see such amazing pictures! Things like PBR will be the future in P3D and these methods implemented into the sim will cure the disadvantage of the ESP single core CPU-engine.

Kai

2 hours ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

I don't regret any second bought an RTX 2080TI! It is worth more and more everytime I see such amazing pictures! Things like PBR will be the future in P3D and these methods implemented into the sim will cure the disadvantage of the ESP single core CPU-engine.

Kai

There is a benefit to the rtx cores in the rtx 20xx, but soon gtx will get raytracing implemented. But you don't need rtx to use pbr or see it's effects. 

36 minutes ago, tangjuice81 said:

But you don't need rtx to use pbr or see it's effects

For the moment this could be right, but who knows the future of P3D? Getting the look and feel like XPlane e.g. there is still to do a little bit.

By the way, upgrading from GTX1080TI to RTX2080TI gaves me a great performanceimprovement, especially for DR and SSAA-Settings. Everything is nearly maxed out with a great performance and visuals; in the darkness too of course. Even with texture_size_exp=10 setting.

Kai

Well, I have to say... that looks impressive...! Totally awesome! Terrible shame we will not see effects like these in the sim itself and older addons... If you get used to airports with these effects the rest of the sim will start to look outdated.

30 minutes ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Hint on location please?   It looks awesome, glad orbx is going the PBR way!

Would you mind looking upon any of the previous posts?

Kind regards, Michael

Archived