Orbx Direct Transaction fee

flying_fish

I notice that my UK credit card company charges a transaction fee when buying from Orbx Direct in AU dollars. I recall when Orbx Direct opened there were requests to use Paypal etc but John Venema explained how their charges were not acceptable.

I wondered whether there was any way Orbx could charge in sterling, given that much of the operation is now run from Hampshire?

Hello,

your assumption is not correct, the company is in Australia.

Of course, its staff are from all over the world.

Your recollection is also not correct, at the outset, Paypal was available.

It should be pointed out that Paypal may not charge a named fee for

currency exchange but their exchange rate is instead set to be at least as

much as such a fee would be.

I do not use a card online but I know someone who does and his net cost

for a product bought in foreign currency is always less than than mine

bought with Paypal.

The grass is rarely greener.....

5 hours ago, flying_fish said:

I notice that my UK credit card company charges a transaction fee when buying from Orbx Direct in AU dollars. I recall when Orbx Direct opened there were requests to use Paypal etc but John Venema explained how their charges were not acceptable.

I wondered whether there was any way Orbx could charge in sterling, given that much of the operation is now run from Hampshire?

As you're in the UK, may be worth your while applying for a Halifax Clarity Card?
No foreign currency transaction fee and no fee to use on cash withdrawals. Just uses the base Mastercard fx rates of the day.

Fantastic when abroad and very useful for Orbx and other sim shops charging in other currencies.

That's but one option.

Thanks all, my assumptions and recollection are clearly wrong, although I do seem to remember JV giving a rationale for not using Paypal.

However I think the grass can be greener Nick.

I have a Caxton card so I'll check that out, and thanks for the heads up on the Halifax card F737NG

The charge was pointed out by my wife, so there is an imperative here...

6 hours ago, Anteater said:

I have two US cards that do not charge the 3.5% currency fee but still use the same exchange rate as the other cards.  Maybe there is something similar in the UK.

I the bank whose MasterCard I use for purchases at Orbx does not charge [me] any "foreign transaction fees" of any kind, and it too uses the exchange rate common to other cards.

Archived