Blown Away!

EdmundV

Hi guys,

just to let you know that I, possibly like many, many other keen simmers, only came across 'ftx' last night purely by accident. I watched the video of the upcoming PNW and was totally blown away.

I read PC Pilot and have not, as far as I can remember, seen any advertising of this fabulous product and feel that someone should forward a review of both the Austrailia scenery and the PNW. I am certain that if people were aware of these packages then 'orbx' would command extensive sales and valuable revenue to enable further development of what looks to be the best ever scenery add on for any flight sim (I have tried 'em all).

Thanks guys and I look forward to placing my order just as soon as my next paycheck arrives. You have me hooked!

EdmundV

Posted Image

Thats how we all started here and now we are all Orbxaholics and cant stop.

cheers

Iain

Nah, not me! I could stop ORBX anytime I want, if I wanted to, but I will never want to! So perhaps I am one after all! :) I have decided on a new policy though, no new non-ORBX payware sceneries whatsoever. I just bought one and (won't say where but it is north of most of Canada) it will be the very last. Difficult for anything anywhere to come even close.

Stephen

I believe that a fresh install with just a few of my favourite scenery add ons is in order. I like Taburets Grand Canyon and obviously Horizons Gen X England & Wales. Coming from Yorkshire I have a special place in my heart for the Peak District, check out my flight covering some of my favourite places to visit:

<<Video deleted by moderator: See forums terms of use>>

Time will tell if OrbX can beat this but my hopes are high to say the least.

EdmundV

I wouldn't go that far, as I make one exception: FS Addon Tongass Fjords X (and their V+ of course) still has a place in my system. Other than that, yes FTX is the best around, from the ones I've seen.

I have just discovered a scenery addon that even though it covers a small island, the quality is stunning and is Orbx level: Earth Simulations Channel Islands Alderney! The attention to detail and quality really shouts Orbx all over it :). Now looking forward to their next release in the Channel Islands.

It is important to keep looking out for new products, checking reviews and screenshots of them, because that is the only way that you will find out about great talent. That is how I discovered Orbx in the first place.

I wouldn't go that far, as I make one exception: FS Addon Tongass Fjords X (and their V+ of course) still has a place in my system. Other than that, yes FTX is the best around, from the ones I've seen.

Tongass Fjords X is outstanding and beautiful scenery, but I believe some of the folks that worked on it also worked on (or had something to do with) PNW, so the visual quality will be at the same level.

What is "their V+" that you mention.

I've seen and have some very good scenery addons, but nothing that I have surpasses the quality of FTX Orbx and most don't come close.  I would have to really say that Orbx FTX scenery is a "Benchmark" for FSX scenery.

Bob

Guest J van E

There was a full-page advert for PNW in PC-PILOT's Nov/Dec issue, so go back and check ;)

Yes, I saw that add. Looked awesome. Totally real. (Also because it's a 1 page vertical crop of a screenshot: you aren't used to those kind of crops, so it sort of helps to make it look more real. If you know what I mean.) I honestly thought, at first glance, it was a real photograph.Really loved the atmosphere in that pic.

Tongass Fjords X is outstanding and beautiful scenery, but I believe some of the folks that worked on it also worked on (or had something to do with) PNW, so the visual quality will be at the same level.

Hm, from what I've seen they will not be at the same level, even though a few people work on both projects indeed. But PNW will really be a lot better.

Like with most things there is a learning curve when developing scenery.  PNW gets the result of all the work that came before.  Tongass being one excellent example.

And I have to leave for Milan, Italy early Saturday morning for a week of work.  Well maybe the CDNs will have cooled some by the time I get home.  And my download allotment will have reset...and my credit card will be in the next billing cycle...

Hummm...this might not be so bad after all.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to Bump an old Topic but I searched Earth Simulations and found this thread.

I recently purchased Alderney. I've sailed theer, Flown there and holidayed there so obviously at that level of detail I'd buy it. However BEWARE!

If like me you have a load of ORBX stuff there is a warning, discovered by me (and according to their forum others) TOO LATE, that you must disable all FTX regions before installing it. There is also a problem that some folk are experiencing with the installer.

I'm not trashing the product here. In fact I've posted on the forums to try and find a fix. I want Alderney but it has to work with ORBX and any previous add-ons for me. Before you buy it read the forums. Before you install it READ THE MANUAL.

....and don't be silly! ANYONE who ever did a technical job KNOWS that ..... As a last resort read the ******* manual has been standing orders since man first turned a spanner ;D

Geoff

ps Hope you guys can work with ES so that when you do the UK their stuff will merge with ORBX like Tongass?

Thanks for that Jay.

However, sadly, that advice is NOT included on the document contained in the CD case I received and it was only after I'd run the installer that I found that out. IMHO if there is ANY risk of a conflict in installing software this MUST be shown as a top priority. "Pdf manual is on disc" is hardly an alert to this?!

I can't think of an FSX add-on I've bought that DOESN'T have a Pdf manual on the disc? .....and although ORBX's forums wouldn't be the natural choice for advise on ES products perhap's I'll search here first in future? :lol:

I've bought loads of Sim add-ons for FSX, FS9 and MSTS and never had as much grief as this has caused! I've been involved in freeware add-on developments for MSTS and so I'm used to opening up unicode files and modifying them... BUT FSX is not an area I'd feel comfortable tweaking to that degree.

MSTS was released in 2001 and dropped by Microsoft a couple of years later after one upgrade (much of which was done by third parties) and so the only way it survived through 4, YES 4, versions of FS was by enthusiats rolling up their sleeves and "making it work". It's actually a huge credit to the original devlopers and M$ that the code was open and so modifiable? Many "fixes" would probably have been included in the original release or in future updates if the whole title hadn't been dropped.

Still started posting on the ES forum so if any reasonable "update" is posted I'll post a link on the thread you've kindly highlighted :)

Geoff

Welcome to the forums Edmund. You will find it extremely friendly and very valuable. I must admit that I'm with Iain, I have nothing but FTX scenery, on the computer, i trust it and know that it's the best and always will be because of the talent they have amongst their developers. Edmund you must also go to OZx. They have over 300 airfields, all for free, and all as you would find them should you visit them in person.

You will also be pleased to know, the John Venema, the CEO of Orbx is heading to the UK within the next few days, to lay the base, for UK scenery. Which is wonderful news.

Have fun on here, and enjoy as many sceneries as you can.

Good luck,

Jim.

That is why John put the red section in the link I posted :)

Nothing wrong with the ORBX support at all.

As I said you don't expect to scour the competitions forums before installing an add-on. In over ten years of "Sim-addiction" this is the first compatablity issue I've come across.

Geoff

Can I add a + 1 for orbx to work with Earth Simulations to make their sceneries compatible please? I have all ES sceneries and it would be a real pain having to swap out settings. Darren's tech support at ES is very good and he's worked out solutions for other people having conflicts with ES sceneries and France VFR. If the tech issues can be planned out beforehand it will save us end users lots and lots of hassle - please!?!

Thankyou!

k

Hi John,

I've also got a problem with this.

I installed ES's Alderney without realising that this was an issue . Now there would seem to be an ongoing problem with the installer for that product for some people (do check the ES support forums to get the latest info on this if you're reading this folks – some folk have no problem at all) and although the scenery seemed to have installed I didn't have any trees. THAT'S when i read the manual and discovered the ORBX "conflict" and started to scout the support forum. BTW as any technician or mechanic knows...... "As a last resort read the ****** manual” so I’m not going to be alone here?!

By Murphy's law, Darren wasn't available for the last week after I achieved this and subsequent discussions on the forum all point to him being "The Man", and by repute a helpful bloke at that, but in the meantime I've discovered the Conflicts section of the forum here. All part of the learning curve! ....although it has to be said that after ten years of serious "Sim" addiction this is the first conflict in commercial add-ons I've encountered.

Having read : http://www.orbxsyste...sles-of-scilly/ ...too late! So to speak I ‘d appreciate some reassurance on the integrity of my ORBX installation.

To that end my question(s) is as follows.

I'm pretty sure that when I installed ES's Alderney I had FTX set to Oz?

Having discovered your clear instruction in the locked conflict topic on this can I take it that I now need to check the files that "might" have been overwritten? I say "might" as this is further complicated by the "work around" from ES that suggests a manual copy and overwrite of files as a fix for the glitch in their installer?

This rang alarm bells for me and I immediately chose the option to write the files AND keep a backup (that Win 7 at least offers).

However when I came to the Global texture “base1a.dds” I decided that I ought to look at the difference between the two files that I had. base1a.dds is a texture file of roof and gable end textures.

The one on my machine already was a 512x512 texture whereas the “ES base1a.dds” is a higher res 1024x1024 texture. My experience of texture files is with Train Simulator and although it handles them very differently from FSX I assumed that texture mapping to any specific shape file works the same way even if the file “types” are different? (MSTS uses .tga files converted to .ace files for textures but the 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 format is the same)

Now I don’t know if the existing texture is an ORBX one or not but I note that in your post above one of the files affected here is roofdescriptions.spb so obviously as the texture above is of roof textures would that be “triggered” into use by this (or a similar) .spb?

As I didn’t switch FTX to FSX before the install and I believe uninstalled it in the same mode can I take it that the relevant ORBX files are still OK? Is there any way I can check that?

Sorry to be so long winded but as with all technical issues it’s hard to be clear and concise.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope this helps anyone else who’s made the same mistake.

Geoff

PS if I've posted this in the wromg section my apologies. Please move it to the best forum if I have.

Archived