TrueEarth GB South and Central SP1’s incoming

8 minutes ago, vfr_steve said:

You can always add your own Ortho areas and use the Orbx overlay, the results are amazing.

Yes, but don`t just assume everyone here knows or is prepared (or) have the time to put the effort into creating tiles!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John & company: Thanks so much for all the ORBX products you make available to us flight sim folks, especially the GB scenery. I find the prices reasonable and the quality immensely satisfying. I started using the MegaScenery Earth products a few years ago but compared to ORBX, their stuff is kindergarten  level. It was a pain when I was using FSX to pause the sim after take-off to load MegaScenery. It was useless at ground level since MSE made everything flat. I especially like the GB airports that are being released for XP11 (my current simulator). The GB products allow me to get a little of the experience of being in those countries since I'll never actually get to visit there. :( Please keep up the great work and, if you run out of places to do next, I would love to see the TE treatment for where I live here in Pennsylvania.:)

BTW - for you British folks out there, I need to say how much I love many things about your nation beginning with the Spitfire (the greatest airplane ever built), Churchill, Christopher Foyle, shortbread, James Herriott, all the enjoyable dialects, Sherlock Holmes, Richard Sharpe, The Lake District, and all the other amazing beautiful countryside. 

I've been interested in military aviation since a very young age and have therefore always loved combat simulators and never really enjoyed the non-combat flight sim.  I tried MS Flight Sim several times and like with vanilla X-plane I could not "get" the A to B flying, to me it was not interesting enough once you got past the novelty of flying a particular plane.

I was excited with Ortho4XP because here at last was a way for me to look at something real and make those A to B flights worthwile.  But when I saw screenshots of TE Netherlands and heard that Orbx was bringing that level of detail to GB, well I could not wait.

Living in GB Central (near Barton) I was desperate for that to be released but decided that I had to try GB South first.  I was not disappointed.  I loved the detail, the new bespoke POIs, cars driving on the left, proper looking houses and all the rest.

Yes, you can achieve some of this with multiple libraries and your own Ortho maps, but to be honest I felt that the £30 price tag was worth avoiding all that messing about.  Having a cleaner Custom Scenery folder and .ini file was a bonus.

I also appreciated the fact that Orbx are committed to expanding their area of coverage, adding additional POIs, releasing updates through the SP route and also the community here on the forum.

So if I've not said it before, I want to say it now.  Thank you Orbx.  Thank you for igniting my interest in non-combat sims, thank you for showing GB in such detail and for introducing me to areas of the country I doubt I would ever see otherwise.  

Thank you and keep up the good work.

And as you can see I've added to GB South, with Central and North as well as an airport in each region.  A new 1TB SSD is currently heading in my direction to allow me to expand on this further.

5 hours ago, Aeroflux said:

Yes, but don`t just assume everyone here knows or is prepared (or) have the time to put the effort into creating tiles!

And at what point did I assume ''everyone'' can? But the fact is you CAN if you want to. As you were... 

Yes Steve you can but takes hours of downloading and it`s a fair steep learning curve for many.   I am surprised that John decided to leave this feature behind as he was talking a fair bit about it as a nice addition to SP1.  Anyway I am glad they will release something as the original had many omissions and various graphics imperfections.  I only fly in VR so everting is fairly blown up and various misalignments etc show a lot more than on a monitor.

2 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Orbx are probably going to use the ZL 18 for some GB Cityscapes???????? More potential income than including ZL18 in a freebee SP.

That is a really good idea, I for one wouldn’t mind paying a tad more for further detail in certain areas.

Just now, Meabeachboy said:

That is a really good idea, I for one wouldn’t mind paying a tad more for further detail in certain areas.

I only thought of that reason because JV said the ZL18 was going to be used "elsewhere". Where else could you use it but in a TEGB enhancement option?

On 3/10/2019 at 8:24 PM, Badl4ndz said:

It's not fixed until the Island of Ireland is sorted :lol::lol::lol: + The Channel Islands ;)

FYI Orbx are publishing True Earth Great Britain, not True Earth United Kingdom. Great Britain comprises England, Scotland and Wales whereas United Kingdom comprises England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland therefore the gentleman who said GB was finished was correct.

I do agree though that it would be nice to see both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland covered.

Kind regards

Ian S

9 hours ago, Ian S said:

FYI Orbx are publishing True Earth Great Britain, not True Earth United Kingdom. Great Britain comprises England, Scotland and Wales whereas United Kingdom comprises England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland therefore the gentleman who said GB was finished was correct.

I do agree though that it would be nice to see both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland covered.

Kind regards

Ian S

Therefore Ian, we actually want True Earth British Isles :)

We've been spoilt... :D

On 3/13/2019 at 1:45 AM, topcat_1952 said:

John & company: Thanks so much for all the ORBX products you make available to us flight sim folks, especially the GB scenery. I find the prices reasonable and the quality immensely satisfying. I started using the MegaScenery Earth products a few years ago but compared to ORBX, their stuff is kindergarten  level. It was a pain when I was using FSX to pause the sim after take-off to load MegaScenery. It was useless at ground level since MSE made everything flat. I especially like the GB airports that are being released for XP11 (my current simulator). The GB products allow me to get a little of the experience of being in those countries since I'll never actually get to visit there. :( Please keep up the great work and, if you run out of places to do next, I would love to see the TE treatment for where I live here in Pennsylvania.:)

BTW - for you British folks out there, I need to say how much I love many things about your nation beginning with the Spitfire (the greatest airplane ever built), Churchill, Christopher Foyle, shortbread, James Herriott, all the enjoyable dialects, Sherlock Holmes, Richard Sharpe, The Lake District, and all the other amazing beautiful countryside. 

If I can add old airfields and aviation museums galore, my list is very similar to that at the end of your nice post!  Cheers.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:11 AM, John Venema said:

Hello all,

Just a heads up that we have service packs aplenty coming in the coming week. First up is SP1 for TE Netherlands AFS2, followed by SP1 for TE GB South for P3D. Finally we have a MASSIVE set of upgrades coming for TE GB South and a Central for XP11.

A full preview post is coming on Monday, listing the literally hundreds of new POIs, bug fixes and improvements, but I thought I would show you a little teaser of what is in store,

[...]

Since the above post seemed to indicate that SP1 TE GB South for P3Dv4 would be out before SP1 TE GB South for X-Plane, I was expecting the P3Dv4  platform release next now that SP1 for TE Netherlands AFS2 has been released.  However, all the Orbx posting is talking about the XP release for today.   Is there an update on the current status of the SP1 TE GB South for P3Dv4 release now that it seems to  have fallen out of the order that JV mentioned in the post above.  Just really want to know if it is still imminent in the next several days?

Thanks,

Rod  

18 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

Since the above post seemed to indicate that SP1 TE GB South for P3Dv4 would be out before SP1 TE GB South for X-Plane, I was expecting the P3Dv4  platform release next now that SP1 for TE Netherlands AFS2 has been released.  However, all the Orbx posting is talking about the XP release for today.   Is there an update on the current status of the SP1 TE GB South for P3Dv4 release now that it seems to  have fallen out of the order that JV mentioned in the post above.  Just really want to know if it is still imminent in the next several days?

Yes that was my question too. It is a little bit quiet around the SP for P3D4; everything speaks about XP11. But maybe both SP's will be released at the same time?

Kai

16 hours ago, MikeFlight said:

I wanted to ask the same. I dare but no longer in the face of the perceived superiority of the XP11.

Many many people get great pleasure from the other products and, in their mind, they are superior - to them, regardless of the ins and outs of arguments over technical merits etc.

4 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Many many people get great pleasure from the other products and, in their mind, they are superior - to them, regardless of the ins and outs of arguments over technical merits etc. 

That's right and I accept that too. But it might be helpful, if here in the forum once a clearer marking or a better separation takes place, so that one can already distinguish at first glance between P3D and XP11.
So I can save myself as a P3D user reading some posts.

4 hours ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

Davids "thank you" belongs dto the XPlane-thread, doesn't it? What a merging; I myself did a post for P3D in the XPlane11-thread too because I didn't see the difference at the first time.

But the SP for P3D is following soon...

Kai

This thread is not sim specific as far as I can tell since the OP mentions all the sims.

3 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

Well its been 3 days and nothing so far.  I keep hoping......

Rod

Ah, patience is a virtue with this technical stuff ..... but I have learnt in my first few months with orbx that it is always worth the wait!  I sincerely hope it meets, indeed exceeds, your expectations!  Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Do we have any news on a patch for Xplane TE South SP1 and TE Central SP1?

Any breakthroughs or features or just more hard graft correcting imperfections?

Animated sea traffic, night lighting, coastal mesh corrections, performance improvements etc?

Everyone will have different priorities as will OrbX themselves, can you tell us what you are prioritising for a future patch or will you announce at the time?

The darker roads were a godsend BTW.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

TE South SP1 has already been released.

TE Central SP1 is not too far away.

hehe I meant a patch for SP1 for South (I know you are working on one ^_^)

Good news on Central, very much looking forward to it.

Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, John Venema said:

TE South SP1 has already been released.

TE Central SP1 is not too far away.

Quite a bit further on since you posted this John ;) - Are you able to shed any more light on the release of TE Central SP1 for X-Plane please?.... Soooooo looking forward to that being born and bread in the North West.

Regards

TE GB Central SP1 is done and the files have been handed over, but we’re waiting on Orbx Central to finish testing so that the SP1 can be patched in much more quickly versus using the older FTX Central V3. Should not be too long, we are doing closed beta testing on Orbx Central now.

This is a slight hiccup which might be a pain now, but it will mean much more seamless and quicker SP1/2/3/‘s moving forward using the new Orbx Central tech.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

TE GB Central SP1 is done and the files have been handed over, but we’re waiting on Orbx Central to finish testing so that the SP1 can be patched in much more quickly versus using the older FTX Central V3. Should not be too long, we are doing closed beta testing on Orbx Central now.

This is a slight hiccup which might be a pain now, but it will mean much more seamless and quicker SP1/2/3/‘s moving forward using the new Orbx Central tech.

Will those who sign up for beta testing Central get TE Central SP1 quicker as part of that test?

I read that central could be a while away yet from public release.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, John Venema said:

Absolutely love your crystal clear transparency at all times John! Cannot wait and as always, wish you the best of luck

Archived