Moving the sim to a larger drive

Ben 

Ok I understand that this might be off topic, but I just want to help Ben and maybe make his lifa a little bit easier. If moderator thinks my posting is out of line, please delete it.

"It's not the price now of buying another one, it's the re-installing everything that I don't want to."

You don´t have to reinstall anything when adding a new HD. This is how I have done it a few times.

1. Install the new HD and your PC will assign a letter to it, lets say F.

2. Copy EVERYTHING  from your old, lets say E (small) HD, to the newly installed F

3. After copying all files, rename OLD HD from E to any letter but F.

4. Rename the new HD from F to the letter the old one had, in this case E.

Viola, as easy as that.

Jack

the Swede in spain

10 minutes ago, JJJackson said:

Viola, as easy as that.

Jack

the Swede in spain

Exactly. I did the same swapping my 1TB drive by a 2TB drive recently. Most of the copying was done in the background, no issues at all.

Kind regards, Michael

6 hours ago, pmb said:

Exactly. I did the same swapping my 1TB drive by a 2TB drive recently. Most of the copying was done in the background, no issues at all.

Kind regards, Michael

Agree Michael, but in the past I have found it necessary to CLONE the old drive rather than a COPY as a standard copy missed some Disc structure information.

7 minutes ago, antonvs said:

Agree Michael, but in the past I have found it necessary to CLONE the old drive rather than a COPY as a standard copy missed some Disc structure information.

Maybe this was for a boot drive? I doubt the procedure will work for such (but I never tried). In my case it was just an ordinary non-boot drive, and even Prepar3d (which I was a bit worried about because of copy protection) did work out of the box. BTW, the same goes for X-Plane as well as AeroflyFS (under Steam) which were relocated to other drives (but given their former drive letters of course) on this occasion.

Kind regards, Michael

Why do I don't get it???? ha ha ha.  for the sake of a good discussion

I have 3 disk

-500 TB SSD (my C drive with my OS and P3D V4  full at 90%)

-3 TB HD (mostly Arerofly FS2)

-1 TB HD (My movie, and mostly my ORBX manual download) 

Let say I buy another ! or 2 TB SSD???

So you want me to copy my 500gb on my new 2 TB SSD? Everything?

So let's say the new SSD is name G (or whatever), I rename this one (replace letter G) with old HD

But what about my C main drive?

Where is my beer now... I need it :D

14 minutes ago, Benny said:

Why do I don't get it???? ha ha ha.  for the sake of a good discussion

I have 3 disk

-500 TB SSD (my C drive with my OS and P3D V4  full at 90%)

Benny, I am afraid, that's bad luck if you have P3D on the C drive. I am pretty sure you can't just copy over an OS drive as info in the start sectors (and probably more those days) is missing. However, there should be tools for cloning drives, as Anton mentions. Sometimes they come even bundled with the disk.

Another option might be a symbolic link from the ORBX folder to another drive, as Nick suggests (search in the forum). 

Kind regards, Michael

4 hours ago, pmb said:

Benny, I am afraid, that's bad luck if you have P3D on the C drive. I am pretty sure you can't just copy over an OS drive as info in the start sectors (and probably more those days) is missing. However, there should be tools for cloning drives, as Anton mentions. Sometimes they come even bundled with the disk.

Another option might be a symbolic link from the ORBX folder to another drive, as Nick suggests (search in the forum). 

Kind regards, Michael

If you need to copy stuff from one drive to another, say from C Drive to a new drive, I have had success in installing the sim program such as P3D into the new drive, then merging and overwriting all the folders in the new install.  You then get your registry correct, a nice new set of shader files etc, and all your scenery and aircraft in as well.

If you're copying Orbx scenery you should find the scenery.cfg is rebuilt when you start FTX Central.

It's allso important to seek out and copy all the files relating to the sim in your user Account folder and C:\Program Data as they contain your preferences such as controls and keyboard assignments.  Either way, for me it's always been a lot quicker and download saving even when I've forgotten something.

Let us not forget that not long ago also P3D was bound by the 32 bit limit. Not only ORBX and other addons but also the sims, be it P3D, X-plane, FS2, or FlyInside, continue to evolve, while new computers get more and more powerful. TrueEarth products may be pushing the limits on hardware at the moment, but new or updated regions are coming out that will allow both computers and sims of today and of tomorrow to enjoy flight as it was meant to be. ORBX has been around little more than a decade, so imagine where we will be in 10 years from now. The Wright brothers would be green of envy.

Benny!

As said it´s bad luck that you have installed P3D on your C:drive, but no problems.

1. Install the new drive and it will be assigned a drive letter like F.

2. Copy everything regarding your sim to the new drive. IF you have made one more mistake (initially installed in C:\Program Files (x86)) just copy everything (P3D) from there  to the new drive and you will have a folder like  F:\P3D on it. If you have other add-ons on the OLD C, just copy them as you just did.

3. Use the Registry Utility program to set the new path in the registry.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/FSX-Registry-Utility.shtml

Found this:

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Benny

The link you pointed to tells how to install ORBX scenery on a drive where P3D is not installed (in the future, with FTXCentral). As I understand the topic starter, he wants to move a TOTAL sim-installation, including all his add-ons, to a new larger drive and that will not be possible with the next version of the central.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Archived