Northern France True Earth in the works?

S1vannah

John Venema recently posted this:

Next planned TE regions:

PNW Washington 

PNW Oregon

PNW British Columbia *depending on ortho imagery availability

Northern California

Southern California

NZ South Island

NZ North Island

Spain

Austria

Norway

New England Martimes

and so on .... well into 2020 and beyond

We have done a lot of the ortho work for PNW Washington already

That’s obviously subject to change but at least gives people a nice idea on what to expect for the not too far future.

Given the fact that Spain as well as Austria are part of the list, JV also mentioned in the past that they are interested in doing TE France, I would say chances are good for you guys that sooner or later a TE France will happen.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

The main issue with France is the cost of licensing source imagery. There is one main provider, IGN - and they are very expensive indeed.

I wouldn't be averse to a price increase reflecting this, to make it a commercially viable prospect.  Don't know about others though...

6 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I wouldn't be averse to a price increase reflecting this, to make it a commercially viable prospect.  Don't know about others though...

Me too, at least within certain limits.

I very much like the TE product line. I've never been in the UK, but it looks so much more lifelike and natural over LC-based scenery that I gladly will spend money for another 2 TB drive SSD, if required, and pay more for more TE regions.

That's the XP flavor so far. I hope the P3D flavor will really take off soon as well.

Kind regards, Michael

24 minutes ago, pmb said:

Me too, at least within certain limits.

I very much like the TE product line. I've never been in the UK, but it looks so much more lifelike and natural over LC-based scenery that I gladly will spend money for another 2 TB drive SSD, if required, and pay more for more TE regions.

That's the XP flavor so far. I hope the P3D flavor will really take off soon as well.

Kind regards, Michael

I'm very happy with my 2tb ssd upgrade Michael. It's a good investment for future sceneries and not have to worry about space.:lol:

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

The main issue with France is the cost of licensing source imagery. There is one main provider, IGN - and they are very expensive indeed.

JV.

Have you thought of making just the Overlay for these really expensive imagery areas. You can get the imagery for free to use as a foundation/base, work your magic on the Overlay, remove the Imagery and I'd buy your Overlays. The super high quality Overlays of TEGB are certainly what makes them unique in the world of Ortho.

People can get there own imagery through Ortho4xp. I currently have the whole of France (and most of Europe) in Ortho and use X-Europe as the Overlay. However I would definitely pay good money for an Orbx developed Overlay. Below are a couple of pics of France emphasising the need for Orbx quality Overlay. The buildings are OK but Orbx' attention to tree placing and in depth clustered forests are a standout difference in Overlay quality in comparison to "others".

eEWQrGE.jpg

IclAmTy.jpg

9 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

JV.

Have you thought of making just the Overlay for these really expensive imagery areas. You can get the imagery for free to use as a foundation/base, work your magic on the Overlay, remove the Imagery and I'd buy your Overlays. The super high quality Overlays of TEGB are certainly what makes them unique in the world of Ortho.

I am not so sure that's a good idea. Ortho scenery as you get using Ortho4XP varies depending on raw imagery. While I didn't a detailed test, I am sure ORBX did color correction and removal of clouds etc. on the GB orthophotos. Yes, you can do all this on your own - but who actually can? And while we have Ortho4XP for Prepar3 now and Aeroscenery for AF2 - which percentage of the ORBX users are willing to deal with them in those two worlds?

I very much like the fact I get a ready-to-use product from ORBX which not even needs the plethora of libs required by some other XP-sceneries. 

Kind regards, Michael

@pmb        I agree with all your points of view  but your comments regarding the quality and colour matching of imagery is not relevant  as it doesn't form any part of an Overlay.    Most Libraries are required by Airport addons and not Ortho sceneries. The X-Europe overlay addon does not require any additional libraries either.

@andy1252   You could be right about a commercial company using freeware tools like Orth4xp or indeed the image providers associated with that programme. Only Orbx could answer that, but permission to use them is possible as in Forkboys USA Ortho series.

@Flygsidan  I agree with you also in regard to some imagery having cloud imprints and colour variations. I too have compiled and then deleted many orthos. However there are also a ot of good clear imagery as well. NZ by Lyndiman, and Forkboys US are a couple of examples. In the areas I have ortho if there are colour variations on a couple of tiles, or a cloud imprint, I tend to fly late afternoon and the anomalies are far less apparent.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:21 PM, pmb said:

I am sure ORBX did color correction and removal of clouds etc. on the GB orthophotos

Not only this, the colour correction was done so that everything all matched nicely, i.e. Tree colours to match the trees on the orthos, etc. Taking the overlay and putting it onto your own orthos would not give good results if say the 3D trees were green, but the ortho trees were a different colour (e.g. tinted blue like they often are) or lighter/season

I also think expecting users to download their own orthos (which is a legally questionable practice) is not something that the majority of simmers want. I believe the majority of simmers just want a complete package that does everything they expect. Also, what happens when Bing/Google decide that they've had enough of users downloading TBs of imagery and block it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, on Orbx and on XP11.32rc2 as well.

I recently made an absolutely fantastic discovery: Orbx TE GB (N, C and S). User tired of P3D v.4, I ended up losing the taste of aerial simulation: I found it increased tenfold thanks to Orbx TE.

A huge thank you to you, Orbx team.

So, Mister Venema, like many others I rely heavily on you to fly one day my country, France. And IGN should not be an insurmountable obstacle for a daring society like yours (assuming IGN is the only hurdle).

Regards,

Pierre Antier

a 68 year old flight simmer

We have not said 'no' to France, it is entirely possible we will do this.

First however, let's get the TE series to be profitable for Orbx so we can afford expensive licensed imagery for parts of the EU. This is why we are focusing on the busiest FS area in the world - the USA west coast. TE GB was an experiment and proof of concept, just like Netherlands was. Now the serious investment is happening with the USA series which will feature some amazing content. That will truly be next level.

We wish other governments would be like the USA and make high quality imagery available for commercial use. It's a wise move by the US government because it encourages companies like us to create content for their country.

44 minutes ago, John Venema said:

We have not said 'no' to France, it is entirely possible we will do this.

First however, let's get the TE series to be profitable for Orbx so we can afford expensive licensed imagery for parts of the EU. This is why we are focusing on the busiest FS area in the world - the USA west coast. TE GB was an experiment and proof of concept, just like Netherlands was. Now the serious investment is happening with the USA series which will feature some amazing content. That will truly be next level.

We wish other governments would be like the USA and make high quality imagery available for commercial use. It's a wise move by the US government because it encourages companies like us to create content for their country.

I too would like Europe first (in an ideal world), but your economic argument makes perfect sense :)

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much for the amazing quality of your add-ons from the True Earth collection!!

After TE Cali, Oregon and Washington,  any chance to push northern on the same coast and reach the GA paradise - aka British Columbia?

Many beautiful already existing sceneries in this area (Orbx P3D versions but also xplane airports). :)

David (PPL who plans to fly in BC ;) )

Archived