Jump to content

TE-UK over Birmingham (heavy urban)


kevinfirth
 Share

Recommended Posts

8700K@5GHz; 2080Ti (only 50% gpu useage though); 32Gb 3200MHz cas14 (Efficient AM set on the CPU; GPU overclocked on factory settings @1900MHz)

Running at 4k@30Hz

TFR=30, vsync and triple buffer on, LOD radius, one below max, tessellation one below max, 5m mesh, 30cm texture

Bathymetry off, water detail one below ultra

2048x2048 global texture, one above none on dynamic reflections, no dynamic lights, shadows to receive for buildings, cast and receive for simobjects, clouds and terrain, 50 mile cloud draw, detailed clouds, 20% road traffic, no AI

Edited by kevinfirth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

8700K@5GHz; 2080Ti (only 50% gpu useage though); 32Gb 3200MHz cas14 (Efficient AM set on the CPU; GPU overclocked on factory settings @1900MHz)

Running at 4k@30Hz

TFR=30, vsync and triple buffer on, LOD radius, one below max, tessellation one below max, 5m mesh, 30cm texture

Bathymetry off, water detail one below ultra

2048x2048 global texture, one above none on dynamic reflections, no dynamic lights, shadows to receive for buildings, cast and receive for simobjects, clouds and terrain, 50 mile cloud draw, detailed clouds, 20% road traffic, no AI

 

impressive video, Kevin!

 

only on 7700K myself - have you tried Project Lasso rather than low level AM? - i find it works very well with the CPU load balancing (P3D & XP11)...

 

craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

 

impressive video, Kevin!

 

only on 7700K myself - have you tried Project Lasso rather than low level AM? - i find it works very well with the CPU load balancing (P3D & XP11)...

 

craig

 Always set P3D AM via the cfg file. If I use addons like AS and Rex I use PL to restrict them to specific cores so they dont conflict with P3Ds primary abd secondary tasks. (Each of those have a single physical core allocated specifically to them)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

specifically, what is the advantage of tweaking the AM via the cfg file compared to assigning CPU performance & threads via PL?

P3D is an AM aware application.  It will try to manage its own affinity if you dont specify one in the cfg.  Further if you try to manage affinity using PL, P3D may 'fight' PL for control and you risk messing up the core usage and ending up with either a restricted number of cores available for P3D or other tasks interfering with the primary rendering task or the secondary task which means reduced fps, or blurries/lost autogen, or all the above.  Dont go there!!

Edited by kevinfirth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks Kevin, i have a lot to learn!

 

personally, i find PL a great tool to maximise core/thread usage & also to control thread usage to particular addons such as ChasePlane & Active Sky - certainly no crashes & good performance so far...

 

i like the effective way to simply control the CPU/OS/Application system performance...

 

& i am learning now how to get the most from XP11 - so far so good - however, i will heed your words carefully...

 

many have said that the flight sims we use do not take full advantage of multi-core CPUs - so far i have found that PL does a great job of this...

 

best regards,

craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

thanks Kevin, i have a lot to learn!

 

personally, i find PL a great tool to maximise core/thread usage & also to control thread usage to particular addons such as ChasePlane & Active Sky - certainly no crashes & good performance so far...

 

i like the effective way to simply control the CPU/OS/Application system performance...

 

& i am learning now how to get the most from XP11 - so far so good - however, i will heed your words carefully...

 

many have said that the flight sims we use do not take full advantage of multi-core CPUs - so far i have found that PL does a great job of this...

 

best regards,

craig

For CP and AS its no problem to use PL. For P3D it HAS to be done in the cfg if you want proper results.

This is why. The 1st task is the primary renderer. This defines your max fps. If anything interferes with this task you will get reduced performance and/or stutters. (Stutters are just an indication that the renderer cant keep up at the selected settings.) So we give this task an entire core to itself so nothing interferes with it.  The second task has been significantly beefed up with P3D4.4 so this also now benefits from being given a core to itself as well.  P3D uses the rest of the available cores to load scenery and so these are not critical to fps.  If you do anything that may make P3Ds core allocations less efficient, by restricting the number of cores available for scenery loading, and/or double up tasks on the cores running the first and second tasks, you introduce performance problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kevin very impresive video using P3D and True Earth South England.

I have a couple of Questions?

1. Your GPU is a RTX2080 how much did the GPU contribute for the excellent video? Versus a RTX 2070

2. You are running on 32GB of ram how much did it contribute vs running on 16GB @ 3600.

3. I am running a i9-9900 CPU @ 5GHz but turning down the setting on P3Dv4.4 gives me low detail and no clarities not to my liking.

4. You are running your monitor at 30Hz in 4K if you are running at 144Hz @2K does the monitor Hz have a big impact on P3D

5. If you have a 144Hz or 165Hz monitor why would you want to turn it down to 30 Hz unless you have to to make P3D work with TE?

Thank you. For any advise or input since I am not satisfied with the results of TE vs other Orbx scenery.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NineMile41 said:

Kevin very impresive video using P3D and True Earth South England.

I have a couple of Questions?

1. Your GPU is a RTX2080 how much did the GPU contribute for the excellent video? Versus a RTX 2070

2. You are running on 32GB of ram how much did it contribute vs running on 16GB @ 3600.

3. I am running a i9-9900 CPU @ 5GHz but turning down the setting on P3Dv4.4 gives me low detail and no clarities not to my liking.

4. You are running your monitor at 30Hz in 4K if you are running at 144Hz @2K does the monitor Hz have a big impact on P3D

5. If you have a 144Hz or 165Hz monitor why would you want to turn it down to 30 Hz unless you have to to make P3D work with TE?

Thank you. For any advise or input since I am not satisfied with the results of TE vs other Orbx scenery.

 

1. 2070 has 8Gb mem and 2300 cuda cores, 2080ti has 11Gb mem and 4350 cuda cores.  Even the 2080ti cannot handle 4k with all GPU dependent options at high.  Performance wise there's no contest. If youre going for 4k get the beefiest GPU you can afford.  Its tough to swallow but you will see the benefit.

2. Whats the cas of your ram? True latency is determined by speed and cas.

3. Your CPU is good.  your o/c is good.  Try overclocking the cache as well, P3D responds well to that.  Also make sure you use an efficient AM if you have HT on.

4. The refresh rate needs to be the same as or a multiple of the fps you're aiming for.  You are never going to get 144fps other than in a default condition.   I set my refresh to 30hz (its a 4k tv that can do 25/30/50/60hz) and vsync on with triple buffering.

Screen size is irrelevant to refresh rate and fps, unless you are GPU bound.

5. Because you need to match your TFR to refresh rate if possible to avoid stutters.  Accept that in urban environments, 30fps is as good as youre going to reasonable expect and work up from there.

 

I also have P3D and TE installed on a 1Tb Nvme M2 drive.  Im not sure how much impact that has but I wanted to reduce any loading bottleneck as much ad possible.

Crucial to a good experience hardware-wise is a good overclock, cpu and cache, low latency mems, fast storage, a reliable quality PSU and a balanced GPU.. But it also needs setting up right, with an approriate affinity mask, for both P3D and addons, to ensure the main rendering thread gets the maximum resources.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for you explanation much appreciated.

I am going to follow your advise and buy a 1TB Name M2 drive since my 500GB SSD is running out of space.

I am going to play around with my refresh rate on my monitor running at 2K will have to test what it does 144Hz vs 60Hz I really like the smooth motion in flight at 144Hz

As to your cache suggestion I think I will buy more memory instead of increasing paging it could cause instability in my opinion. Going back to XP days I agree.

AS to the AM settings it is my believe that P3D manages the AM settings?  I could be wrong? Could you tell me your AM settings to try?

I agree on your 2080ti GPU just a hard pill to swallow $$$$$$$

I have no problems running TE in South England the problem is only in large cities so my thinking is that it comes down to two items (Memory and GPU).

When over EGLL or London my memory is using 15.6GB and I only have 16GB so it is paging all the time plus the 2070 is running at 100%

Thanks again for your input you are never too old to learn.

 

Cheers Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, NineMile41 said:

Thank you for you explanation much appreciated.

I am going to follow your advise and buy a 1TB Name M2 drive since my 500GB SSD is running out of space.

I am going to play around with my refresh rate on my monitor running at 2K will have to test what it does 144Hz vs 60Hz I really like the smooth motion in flight at 144Hz

As to your cache suggestion I think I will buy more memory instead of increasing paging it could cause instability in my opinion. Going back to XP days I agree.

AS to the AM settings it is my believe that P3D manages the AM settings?  I could be wrong? Could you tell me your AM settings to try?

I agree on your 2080ti GPU just a hard pill to swallow $$$$$$$

I have no problems running TE in South England the problem is only in large cities so my thinking is that it comes down to two items (Memory and GPU).

When over EGLL or London my memory is using 15.6GB and I only have 16GB so it is paging all the time plus the 2070 is running at 100%

Thanks again for your input you are never too old to learn.

 

Cheers Craig

I bought an adata sx8200 pro - reviews showed it was as good as the samsung leading model at a fraction of the price..

 

I meant o/c your CPU cache, not a mem swapfile.  Setting will be in your BIOS near the CPU core speed settings.   More mem cant hurt though (as long as its low latency.)

 

P3D will manage its own affinity, and LM recommend this.  IMHO affinity masks are poorly understood in general and need to be bespoke to a system use case and addon in use.   LM cannot recommend any particular AM, so their recommendation to bot use one is about not having to field support requests!

 

Basically, the first P3D task is the main renderer.  The more resource available, the more fps you get.  If ANY other task gets put on the same core you will possibly see an adverse performance impact.  So we use an AM to keep a core free for the renderer.  v4.4 moves ever more work to the second task, so although its not as resource intensive as the first, I give it a core to itself as well.  I allocate all remaining cores to P3D as the remaining tasks all load scenery.  I also use Process Lassoo to ensure all addons are only able to use scenery loading cores so they dont conflict with the first 2 P3D tasks.  It is theoretically possible to gain 10-20% performance inc by using the right AM for your system and use case.  

Worth doing some research on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kevin Thanks to your input I found 50% of the problem over London. It is my Asus monitor running at 144Hz when I took it down to 60 Hz my frame rate jump was 50%.

Outside London running at 144Hz is no problem. I wonder how many people do not relies that when in heavy scenery you can't run your monitor at 144 Hz.

Thanks again you put me on track when you said at 4K you are running your monitor at 30Hz.

 

Cheers Craig

2019-2-18_15-52-46-649.jpg

2019-2-18_15-53-20-937.jpg

2019-2-18_15-54-1-98.jpg

2019-2-18_15-54-26-627.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...