True Earth compared to Orbx Regions

Leadcatcher

I think it's human instinction to long for the real, no matter if you can tell it's real or not. That's enough reason for photo real scenery.

The only problem of photo real scenery is that it's still not real enough, but this is improving with higher resolution aerial map and more precise 3D cultivation.

5 hours ago, PNW User said:

Well...not being from Great Britain either...and for that reason, did not until two Sunday's ago, 'ante up'...that was my reasoning, Stewart. 

Now..having flown South and Central regions....I'd advise everybody that loves flight simulation, to RUN, not walk to your computer and buy both regions.  You will feel like you are truly flying over the 'real deal'.  I even have been getting an education, as when I see a particular autogen (hand placed), I pause the sim...track down the real world 'whatever' and read up on it, and the location it is within...and ONLY because the scenery stimulates my mind's eye, that it is the real deal.

So...despite you are not from G.B...that in my opinion (that I use to hold!) is no longer a good reason not to own this fabulous scenery. Not at all...but I only say that, now...with first hand knowledge of it...and what immense pluses it adds to your enjoyment of the hobby, Stewart.  Oh..and in fact, because my wife and I are viewing the real world 'church' I just flew over, the real world village, hamlet, town, city....we now truly want to take a two week trip to Wales. I already have two Wales cliff sides overlooking the Atlantic, that I want to plop a blanket down...with my wife, our bottle of wine and picnic basket,...and just take in the charm, and charisma of what we have seen on Google...but, as a result ONLY, of having purchased and flown this series.  

Thank you for your post.  Unlike yourself, I have no plans to visit Wales.  But by all means, enjoy yourself!

While I appreciate the fine job Orbx is doing in creating and advancing the art of developing flight sim scenery and airports and have purchased many of their products, I would only point out that this hobby is flight simulation, emphasis on *flight*.  I enjoy watching the scenery float by, but that's not the main reason I fly.  I fly to experience the aircraft, its systems, its handling in less than ideal conditions, and when necessary, landing the darn thing when I should have diverted to another airfield due to weather, etc.  I appreciate that TE GB may be beautiful, as others have so eloquently described, but as I've stated before, I don't know the difference when I fly over the UK, and furthermore, that's not the reason I'm flying the sim in the first place.  I get just as much enjoyment flying in the US with FTX OpenLC_NA, or the full fat regions, or FTX GEN or GES, or even FTX Open LC_EU in Southern Europe because I'm flying the airplane first, and gawking at the scenery second.  Obviously, I'm in the minority--that's ok.  Each simmer has his/her own reasons for enjoying the hobby.  It *is* just a hobby, after all.

Enjoy TE GB, if that's your "gig", as we say in the States. 

3 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

While I appreciate the fine job Orbx is doing in creating and advancing the art of developing flight sim scenery and airports and have purchased many of their products, I would only point out that this hobby is flight simulation, emphasis on *flight*.  I enjoy watching the scenery float by, but that's not the main reason I fly.  I fly to experience the aircraft, its systems, its handling in less than ideal conditions, and when necessary, landing the darn thing when I should have diverted to another airfield due to weather, etc.  I appreciate that TE GB may be beautiful, as others have so eloquently described, but as I've stated before, I don't know the difference when I fly over the UK, and furthermore, that's not the reason I'm flying the sim in the first place.  I get just as much enjoyment flying in the US with FTX OpenLC_NA, or the full fat regions, or FTX GEN or GES, or even FTX Open LC_EU in Southern Europe because I'm flying the airplane first, and gawking at the scenery second.  Obviously, I'm in the minority--that's ok.  Each simmer has his/her own reasons for enjoying the hobby.  It *is* just a hobby, after all.

Enjoy TE GB, if that's your "gig", as we say in the States. 

I fly alot on vatsim in ga these days, so its not only because of eyecandy i appriciate te, its because its so easy to study the chart and when i fly, that chart corresponds 100% with what i see in the sim. Find it invaluable for my situational awareness. No way in hell i could do this with landclass. And when on vatsim things can be hectic so not much time for just looking at scenery, but comes really handy when the controller want too know my exact position, i just look out the window and i know exactly where i am. Like with lanclass, i had no idea wether the village i just flew over was the same i saw twenty mintes ago on the other side of the Mountain... 

2 hours ago, kaboki said:

I fly alot on vatsim in ga these days, so its not only because of eyecandy i appriciate te, its because its so easy to study the chart and when i fly, that chart corresponds 100% with what i see in the sim. Find it invaluable for my situational awareness. No way in hell i could do this with landclass. And when on vatsim things can be hectic so not much time for just looking at scenery, but comes really handy when the controller want too know my exact position, i just look out the window and i know exactly where i am. Like with lanclass, i had no idea wether the village i just flew over was the same i saw twenty mintes ago on the other side of the Mountain... 

Valid point...good point...

12 hours ago, BradB said:

Horse.PNG.b7e3eb8c3618d017118a66ce5bd617e5.PNG

Cheers

John

Since I started this thread, I want to thank all for their opinions.  I will be using TE on my XPlane 11 installation but will probably stick with LC, and fat regions for the time being on my P3D.  Doesn’t make sense economically since i have most of the regions for P3D. 

I do want to comment on the picture above as one who has been involved with horses and cattle for the past 20 or so years... sure you can make a horse drink.... just put some salt in their oats....... :-).....

6 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

F737NG......in the real world, there is a rail bridge across the right side "arm" of the Tamar Estuary (in your screenshot). Can you check to see if it is there in TrueEarth GB South? If not, then that is another POI that I would like to see added in a service pack.

It's there.  See below.

Rod

Tamar%20Estuary%20Area%201.jpg?dl=0

That looks like quite a simple model. It would be nice to have a bespoke 3D model, since the bridge is a nice mix of trellis style sections in the middle, and stone viaduct arches at each end. It spans the mouth of the River Tavy (where it joins the River Tamar). Talking of viaducts, there is a nice high railway viaduct at Calstock further up the Tamar. I wonder if that has been modelled....

8 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

F737NG......in the real world, there is a rail bridge across the right side "arm" of the Tamar Estuary (in your screenshot). Can you check to see if it is there in TrueEarth GB South? If not, then that is another POI that I would like to see added in a service pack.

I.R.L. it's a fine looking bridge.

Need to add it to this thread:

17 minutes ago, stiletto2 said:

Yes, it is one of the TE GB South's official POIs.    Pic is below. 

Rod, I see you are also suffering from road and rail decking depiction not matching the 3D model. Many of my bridges in TE GB South are also not displaying correctly.
Do you run any other mesh product as well as the TE GB mesh?
Can I use your pic to add as a bug report, please?

F737NG:  I don't run any other mesh.   I grabbed a quick snap and didn't look at the bridge closely.   But now that I do,  I dont' think it is a mesh issue.  There is another bridge object sitting partially under the correct object.  Should be easy for the developer to remove the rogue object.  You can use my pic as part of your bug report.

Rod  

4 hours ago, Leadcatcher said:

Since I started this thread, I want to thank all for their opinions.  I will be using TE on my XPlane 11 installation but will probably stick with LC, and fat regions for the time being on my P3D.  Doesn’t make sense economically since i have most of the regions for P3D. 

I do want to comment on the picture above as one who has been involved with horses and cattle for the past 20 or so years... sure you can make a horse drink.... just put some salt in their oats....... :-).....

I agree, since I went all in with the two simulators, P3D4 and XP11, I will install the True Earth PNW products in XP and because I have all of the regions for P3D, not duplicate. 

Mike

Stewart

I had a similar problem once I had installed and climbed the learning curve for X-Plane.  But now the decision is easy.  For TEGB it's X-plane all the way.  Smooth, sharp,great roads and traffic, more realistic than P3D. I won't abandon P3D, however, as it has a great many virtues outside TE.

Pete

3 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I have a difficult enough time trying to decide which (of only a half dozen or so) aircraft I want to fly in P3D, much less decide which sim to use--P3D or XP.  :lol:

Well, you could download the 15 minutes of use, XP demo...and try the flight dynamics.  I also have a tip on that...before the demo cuts off your control's, have A.I. fly the plane..and you can have an extended view of the Seattle area, as XPlane flys the plane.  But be warned...there is always a chance...that you will truly enjoy the handling, graphics...and then really have a problem, with 'this' or 'that'...lol.  Oh...be SURE to fly at dawn, dusk, and full night.  One of XP's major strengths, right outta of the packaging.....virtual or not.

All good, Stewart, no matter what the user does...if that makes them content!

Cheers,

PNW

Thanks for the advice.  But I'm guessing you haven't seen some of my previous posts--I don't fly the sim to gawk at the scenery, I fly it in order to fly the airplane(s) and all that that involves.  There are still those of us around, by-the-by.  As I've said before, when XP starts modeling the seasons, then I'll take a look.

1 minute ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Thanks for the advice.  But I'm guessing you haven't seen some of my previous posts--I don't fly the sim to gawk at the scenery, I fly it in order to fly the airplane(s) and all that that involves.  There are still those of us around, by-the-by.  As I've said before, when XP starts modeling the seasons, then I'll take a look.

Stewart, I did read your prior posts...and that's why I dwelt more on trying out the flight dynamics of the airplane, within XP.  You only get the city of Seattle to fly over, and about it..but check out the flight dynamics.  Read about how they calculate air-flow over the wings...totally different to ESP.  You might enjoy the discovery of such.  

Archived