Is the Radeon VII 16gb Perfect for 4k Prepar3D?

maxkillers

Understandably GPU's freeze when they go over their limit, and I have a 6gb 1060 card and I can easily go past 100% on my gpu while playing Prepar3d, and a fewl other games in 4k (and I'm not even using PMDG), so is having an extreme amount off vram benefical for me as a 4k gamer? I don't give a damn about ray-tracing or shadowplay so what would I really lose from not choosing the 2080? I also run multiple programs at once, I always like having google chrome in the background, such as watching cat videos or whatever suits my fancy in the background off a long flight so would all this vram help it perform better? Please anyone who has bought it for day one somehow, please tell me how it goes in Prepar3d at 4k or general 2k if possible! Thanks for taking your time to read this...

I'm not so much worried about power or noise since I've got good headsets and a very large power supply through out the house so we can exclude those hiccups that I've been hearing about in the reviews...

8 hours ago, maxkillers said:

Understandably GPU's freeze when they go over their limit, and I have a 6gb 1060 card and I can easily go past 100% on my gpu while playing Prepar3d, and a fewl other games in 4k (and I'm not even using PMDG), so is having an extreme amount off vram benefical for me as a 4k gamer? I don't give a damn about ray-tracing or shadowplay so what would I really lose from not choosing the 2080? I also run multiple programs at once, I always like having google chrome in the background, such as watching cat videos or whatever suits my fancy in the background off a long flight so would all this vram help it perform better? Please anyone who has bought it for day one somehow, please tell me how it goes in Prepar3d at 4k or general 2k if possible! Thanks for taking your time to read this...

I'm not so much worried about power or noise since I've got good headsets and a very large power supply through out the house so we can exclude those hiccups that I've been hearing about in the reviews...

No news for P3D....but some useful information in 4K

https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=4092&gid2=4022&compare=radeon-vii-16gb-vs-geforce-rtx-2080

Guest Colin M

Keeping my ear to the ground for this, doubt it will outperform an RTX Nvidia 2080 Ti, but I would not buy one of those either :)

Still currently using a Titan X Pascal here 12 GB, about same performance as a GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB card, give or take.

I hope its a good performing card, my only other thoughts are, all my tweaks for FSX/P3D and more are through NV Inspector and suchlike, its been a long times since I have used a high performing AMD card ... happy to see how it plays out though.

I also doubt the Radeon VII 16gb will out perform the 2080 in regards to FPS, but I am also wondering like the OP if P3Dv4 will be making use of more and more vmem as it evolves?

Currently, my GPU seems to be using most of the 11gb as in the below image while departing EGLC with TEGB South.

GPU Usage.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

What do you menan by outperforming? Is it only fps you are talking about? We are not gamers who play shooting games where you need to have somthing like 100fps. We just need constant, above 25fps without stutters P3D/FSX experience with  plane and scenery addons installed.  I'm also very interested in Radeon VII performance. Lets say that higher fps is less important for me than smooth, stable and constant, above 25fps performance. I watched some benchmarks of Radeon VII with new drivers on youtube (not in P3D/ FSX but in other also demanding games)  and it looks like Radeon VII gives much smoother experience with less stutters in 4K but slightly lover FPS than RTX2080. New 7nm Ryzen series of cpu also looks promising and lets not forget 7nm NAVI gpu. Oh, I almost forget... The stock of Radeon VII is sooooo low at the moment and you almost can't find one right now. Drivers are still in their infancy because AMD just rushed that card release, but all in all it looks promising. The 2019 will be quite interesting year when it comes to hardware. Just wait a few months. Don't rush with your decision and don't be afraid to think out of the box. I'm just sick of Intel/Nvidia monopoly in simmers world. Nobody will be more happy than me if AMD makes great competition in 2019. Ok, maybe only Lisa Su...

Don't forget too that the model objects in the FSX/P3D world are mostly restricted to Core 0 in the CPU, while textures can run free in the remaining cores.  Low frame rates are generally CPU bound, though GPUs can also be the cause but a lot less often.

For instance on my rig the London scenery as I approach sits around 15-20 fps with the CPU jumping up to 100% quite frequently while the GPU sits as low as 30%.  Once inside the radius where the buildiong models are displayed for detail, GPU usage shoots up to 100% and the frame rates drop to as low as 7 fps.  I suspect the CPU is also being hammered at this point but I suspect that with a 2080 ti I would see the CPU holding 10-15fps and the GPU not restricting that further.

So, unless the CPU is able to cope, getting the greatest video card in the world isn't going to help much.

***EDIT*** Since I posted this I followed advice in another post and deleted the Scenery Indexes and the Shaders folders and I have just doubled my lowest frame rates across London to about 12-14.  

Archived