BEST BITES beat the blues

Hi all. It's the dead of winter here in the USA, and the winter blues are creeping around the country. One way I counter the blues is to remember and celebrate the ridiculous. So, today I am remembering my favorite personal animal bites--that is, the bites, nips, chomps, and punctures that live on in my memory. My favorites are:

1. The malamute that came out everyday to visit as I rode my bicycle past its property. Friendly, nice, and underhanded. After many months of being best friends, he got me full- bore in the butt as I stopped for our normal pet and chat. Totally unexpected. Clever dog.

2. The Pinto pony that allowed little boy me to have a nice, gentle ride but then, when I was back on the ground and bragging, took a chunk out of my shoulder. Didn't see that coming. Haven't turned my back on a horse ever since.

3. The hornet that hid in my Coke can and nailed me on the lip when I went to take a sip. Not a bee, a hornet--nature's reminder that sting means sting. 

Okay, admittedly, this topic is a bit far-fetched but, damn it, it's winter. Anything to pass the time and beat the blues :smile:

1. Two of my younger sisters when they were about 5 and 3  and I was 7.  They thought it was a hoot.

2. My beagle who   decided he didn't want to get out of the car that we were packing for a trip that he somehow knew he wasn't going on.

3. My own horse.  As Rodger said, never turn your back when in range.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:38 PM, W2DR said:

As I type this it's 73F here in central Florida. I guess I'm lucky not to have to worry about all that "dead of winter beat the blues stuff"...:)..........Doug 

Spent three years in Arcadia and all I worried about during the winter months was whether or not our air conditioning would make it through the next summer.  Only place I've lived where humidity often exceeded 100%.

Its bloody freezing here.  We even had snow last week!  Don't laugh but its the first time in about 20 years.  Some of the guys are still getting out on the golf course though and coming back wishing they hadn't. 

Me? I'm a stay at home reader........until that is my wife wants to go shopping;  Why can't we get it delivered I ask? She looks at me as if I'm mad; 'Because I want to see what I'm buying and you to get up off your bottom for a change.  Besides it'll do you good.'  

Grumble, grumble I've got to go.!!!:rollmyeyes:

We don't get snow down on the coast in Minehead where I live but there's plenty up on Exmoor behind us.   The South of England has a strange geography, Some places like Basingstoke in Hampshire where I lived and worked fo about 30 years always had snow in the winter because it was on high ground (622') I suppose.  Mostly around the southern coasts and going up to South Wales though which are only just above sea level we hardly ever get any.  So its all dependent on altitude really. 

Once above The Wash though its always cold winter and summer!:rolleyes:

York is a fabulous city though Terry.  What sent you to America?

Archived