Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Stillwater

Getting ready for a flight at noon in ESSD Dala. Good that we are already sitting inside the plane.

v4g6kOT.jpg

Fantastic snow effects - which make it quite difficult to find & follow the taxiway...

58dp10E.jpg

And visibility on the runway ain´t much better.

MfRmMcV.jpg

At least we can see the end where we have to turn. Do you see these red-white sticks near the lights? They will help the ground crew digging out these lights.

JkWX1MZ.jpg

Take off into a soup. The weather radar was right...

zy76QRI.jpg

At least there is an area above the clouds.

Yr0MTGt.jpg

1hhEBx1.jpg

icj21vX.jpg

But during descend into Kiruna the trouble returns...

90pveDe.jpg

I see something! There must be an angel. Or a runway...

n1Rt91p.jpg

OK, safe.

II7svdY.jpg

Or not so much. I forgot to turn off AEC for ENSQ... it looked better after correcting this - but only for the next flight.

BqN02eE.jpg

36 minutes ago, European Mountain Man said:

Super set of shots Gerold and did you send the snow to Cornwall regards EMM 

I´ll try my best to get a quick cargo machine up, in order to bring you some.

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

2 hours ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

Lovely shots!

Too bad with the end of the flight :) 

Thanks Marcus. At least I quickly found out and solved the issue. Not a big thing... ;)

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Awesome flight, Gerold, with a not so nice surprise at the end. I would have shut down the sim in your case. :wacko: But I think the fantastic snow pics make up for this, at least for the reader. :)

Well lars, I did shut it down. But the vector AEC was my first idea, and it helped. So no worries, mate...

The snow is an even bigger impression, come up to Sweden and see!

59 minutes ago, BradB said:

Wow - That is some really deep snow at Kiruna Gerold .........:wacko::rolleyes::o:lol:

Cheers

John

You got it, John. Initially I thought the same, but somehow I was confused then... Wouldn´t the same kind of weather fit to Spokane, too?

Great shots Gerold, specially #1,2 and 3. AEC is difficult to handle, creates a lot of problems.

On the other side I can report from a flight I did in Peru (all FTX Global stuff) where all the runways where sailing above

the ground while AEC was completely off. Activated AEC and it all worked...

A wonderful flight Gerold with plenty of the white stuff.

Isn't it a sense of achievement when the runway appears where it should be when you come out of the clouds!

That second last image is a ripper.

With all of that snow, you would have been far better flying Ant's Drifter:wacko:

On 1/31/2019 at 11:52 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

I loved it till the end Gerold, I'm with Lars, I would have shut it down in frustration.  I've had this happen to me several times and it's extremely frustrating.

Thank you Jack. Yes such an end is slightly frustrating. On the other hand, I was pleased that my piloting skills were satisfying enough, and the rest was about to be corrected quickly.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:56 AM, andiflyit said:

Great shots Gerold, specially #1,2 and 3. AEC is difficult to handle, creates a lot of problems.

On the other side I can report from a flight I did in Peru (all FTX Global stuff) where all the runways where sailing above the ground while AEC was completely off. Activated AEC and it all worked...

Thanks Andreas. Unfortunately we still need to be aware of this AEC stuff, I wonder if this activation / deactivation thing can be integrated in FTX?

On 2/1/2019 at 5:30 AM, VH-KDK said:

A wonderful flight Gerold with plenty of the white stuff.

Isn't it a sense of achievement when the runway appears where it should be when you come out of the clouds!

That second last image is a ripper.

With all of that snow, you would have been far better flying Ant's Drifter:wacko:

Thank you Martyn. Indeed seeing the runway was a relief. I had to use the Drifter later on in order to clean the airport from all these piles.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:07 AM, adambar said:

Fantastic shots Gerold! :)  You can always brush up your canyon flying, so not all is lost. :D

You got it Adam, this is the updated FSX mission "Canyon flying"!

On 2/1/2019 at 7:24 AM, paulb said:

Love the take off and the snow Gerold. As for the landing? Guess they had 40 feet of snow there? At least the ploughs cleared the runway! :unsure::lol:

The polar vortex hit Kiruna, Paul, obviously.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:37 AM, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Gerold. That last one could be attributed to tunnel vision:blink::Dor perhaps whit out. None the less well done as always. 

You did not see how I parked and how the passengers went out of the plane. Good that p3d also includes submarines.

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks Andreas. Unfortunately we still need to be aware of this AEC stuff, I wonder if this activation / deactivation thing can be integrated in FTX?

Hi Gerold. The default setting for AEC in the scenery.cfg is "Required=TRUE". You can change this to "Required=FALSE" manually and than you can

activate and deactivate the whole thing during flight via scenery library. FTX Central will not overwrite that. Than, as in your flight, take a note

of all airports where you've discovered that it doesn't work. After the flight go to Orbx\Vector\AEC\scenery, there are 4100 files, and rename

the files of the airports where you don't want it to AEC_xxx.bgl.off. Or use the Vector Configuration Tool to do so. There are a lot of places worldwide

where AEC is very useful and a lot of places where it doesn't work at all.       

13 minutes ago, jean marc said:

Great Nordic trip Gerold - wonderful shots and funny end - surely you left the 2 wings sliping on the snow and no wheel touchdown :P

Well observed, Jean Marc. This landing procedure not only reduces tire wear, you also have no risk for overheating the brakes!

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Gerold, challenging trip. And please give yourself credit--that was no AEC problem at the end, that was a freshly plowed runway. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the explanation, Rodger. At least the ground crew was working hard enough to have the centerline free!

10 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Great shots

I particularly like the very first one

Thanks Carlos. It is really a great impression when you start p3d and a picture with such a snowfall comes up.

9 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Those shots remind me of a long time spent in Alaska.  Can't say I miss the snow but, shockingly enough, it's scheduled to snow here in the glorious PNW in a couple of days.

Well OnD, wet&cold is the kind of climate you might expect in PNW, isn´t it? On the other hand it will stay more temperate than in the mid west (or in other continental climates like Sibiria or Mongolia). 

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks Carlos. It is really a great impression when you start p3d and a picture with such a snowfall comes up.

Well OnD, wet&cold is the kind of climate you might expect in PNW, isn´t it? On the other hand it will stay more temperate than in the mid west (or in other continental climates like Sibiria or Mongolia). 

Definitely coastal - first to greet the purple, red and blue lines as they come onshore. 

Archived