TE GB North is great but no decals on orthos?

BobT

Hi folks! I just got GB north up and running and it looks marvelous but I noticed there are no decals (gritty textures) on the orthos like there are in GB South and Central.

Was this missed or is it intentional? I love the decals! 

No...you are speaking of the overlay. Decals are "gritty textures" that are added to the orthos in processing that give the look of gravel dirt or grass to the blurry textures at or near ground level. 

Edited by BobT

Ok. Have you checked the order of your installation (scenerypacks.ini)? Unlike central and south north does have two folders of overlays (and I suspect, that gravel and grass textures would be in such a folder). The order should be

Orbx_A_GB_North_TrueEarth_Custom
Orbx_B_GB_North_TrueEarth_Overlay
Orbx_C_GB_North_TrueEarth_Overlay
Orbx_D_GB_North_TrueEarth_Orthos

Maybe Overlay B and C have been switched up, which you aren´t seeing grass and gravel...?

Thanks FlyingFella for the input.  The order is in sequence A B C D in the Custom scenery ini.

I have made many tiles with ortho4xp and decals are introduced in the processing of the tiles as an option. I would assume the same applies with these Orbx products.

I think I read somewhere that the decals will be  removed for TEGB because they create quite an ugly pattern when wieved from altitude. I for one am really glad they are not there in the north scenery and if I understood correctly they will be removed for South and Central with the upcoming servicepacks.  A matter of taste I guess :)

Edited by DunRingill

16 minutes ago, DunRingill said:

perhaps we are not even talking about the same thing here but take look at pic nr 5, the stripes are clearly visible. Sorry If I have misunderstood the topic :)

Yup I see them, extremely faint as they are. From previous experience with my own orthos, I had the decal artifacts show up much worse than this after an update to a beta version of XP... which I fixed by reverting to an earlier version of XP. So that suggests the artifacts can be attributed to the version of XPlane that one is using. I am still on XP .26 and don't see artifacts with Central.

Yes an options would be awsome, like its a nice thing too have for low and slow.. Thank you

In general more control panel options would be nice, also a toggle for static airplanes at payware airports... 

Edited by kaboki

8 hours ago, tonywob said:

This was intentional, however based on feedback it's likely we'll have to create a control panel option to enable them. The problem is that they can produce an ugly pattern at higher altitudes when the terrain is green.

Thanks Tony, the control panel option is a great idea. However, I tried the little terrain append app and the decals installed nicely. (Backed up the terrain folder just in case). It would seem that not all decals result in an ugly pattern at altitude. Maybe it's just an issue of which decals are being used?

On 1/31/2019 at 10:17 AM, tonywob said:

This was intentional, however based on feedback it's likely we'll have to create a control panel option to enable them. The problem is that they can produce an ugly pattern at higher altitudes when the terrain is green.

@tonywob, I would very very appreciate that as well. As I stated in a different topic I don‘t mind them during cruise, however especially during low level vfr flights they help a lot with estimating your actual height.

Regards, SEB

hi I tried the terrain append app it worked thanks for that

but its not so grainy as the central region so you don see it so well at the same altitudes, are there any parameters or setting to make the decals look the same 

4 hours ago, sol404 said:

BobT thanks for the reply in the other post

If you want to use terrain append still, this one worked for me. It's more grainy than the default one supplied with terrain append and looks to my untrained eye quite similar to the one used in South and Central. Don't forget to remove existing decals before applying, then just type as per the screenshot.....

image.png.7670b2019a84153870f2cb0a0f18b076.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

is there any way of reducing the increase in the green when decals are on

I noticed that since I removed the barton overlay (as suggested in forum) it also removed the decals? and the difference in the colour of the roads in particular is much better without decals

I really like the decals but the green spoils badly 

any ideas?

Not sure, but maybe a different decal applied would not be as green. I thought though that decals were just textures and not colored. Other than that, I read that the roads colors will be updated in the near future to a darker hue in an update.

Edited by BobT

I hope they don't make the roads darker I think they should be lighter (that's what makes the defence on the barton overlay the roads show more clearly its also better in the towns houses and gardens without decals)

BobT thanks i'll have a look at other  decals, but It would be good to have a better idea of what going on and how it all works the green really spoils the ortho roads

• 2 months later...

Hello. Installed true earth north to find no decal textures. I do think it makes the product look a bit poor. I have noticed the repeating pattern with the other two regions but it's nothing too bad. If I could make one suggestion. Using a finer grained decal seems to fix the issue of the repeating pattern and looks great at low alt. I've used grass and dirt 2 or something along those lines. 

• 2 months later...

colours and decals on the new Ture Earth Washington are really good why is the UK so dark and green especially the roads when xplane roads are off

im still really bothered about the fact that there are discrepancies between the UK regions and the fact that Scotland  came with Decals off

This is due to the source imagery and what we had to work with for the UK. The US imagery is actually more consistent and this is because in the UK there are very tight restrictions on ATC and of course the weather which makes the aerial imagery harder (and more expensive) to obtain.

As for the decals, we are working on a control panel option that will allow users to enable/disable decals for any of our TrueEarth regions.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/16/2019 at 3:07 PM, Tony Wroblewski said:

This is due to the source imagery and what we had to work with for the UK. The US imagery is actually more consistent and this is because in the UK there are very tight restrictions on ATC and of course the weather which makes the aerial imagery harder (and more expensive) to obtain.

As for the decals, we are working on a control panel option that will allow users to enable/disable decals for any of our TrueEarth regions.

Hello,

How about this enable/disable decals option for the TrueEarth regions? I've seen it on canary Islands, but I can't find any option for True Earth Great Britain south or central, with enhanced skyscape, the result is actually pretty bad and there is a very obvious grid...

Would be great to have this choice open for each True Earth product!