Airports that spark memories

For me, it would have to be Tan Son Nhat in old Saigon, now Ho Chi Minh City. Maybe it's because I passed in and out of that airport so many times to enter or leave circumstances that each time took a little chunk out of me. I don't know for sure why it sticks, but I can say that I've gone through several dozen airports in my life, but this is the only one that remains in vivid memory all these years later.

For me as a kid I was sent to live with my Grandparents in Reseda, California while my parents were going through marriage issues and divorce so I've been through LAX a lot in my life. When I was a kid LAX was like magic, a very exciting place, and being picked up by my grandparents triggers some of my best memories growing up. Today I go through LAX and I no longer feel anything, because I don't think anyone can feel anything in a place like that. It has become one of the worse airports in America.

I think LAX needs a wrecking ball and every last square inch and repurposed from the ground up. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading a lot of Westerns lately and some of those people travelled prodigious distances by horse begfore the trains came along.  Not having much inspiration as to where to fly, I've been flying the journeys these people make, usually 200 miles or so which is ideal for me and takes me over some very interesting country.

15 hours ago, JohnY said:

I've been reading a lot of Westerns lately and some of those people travelled prodigious distances by horse begfore the trains came along.  Not having much inspiration as to where to fly, I've been flying the journeys these people make, usually 200 miles or so which is ideal for me and takes me over some very interesting country.

John, that really does sound interesting., Do you have a favorite trail so far?

Not yet Rodger.  My wording was a bit awry.  I missed out a couple of words.  I should have said; 'I've been ''thinking of' flying some....... Sorry.  I've got to look them up because some of the places may well have become ghost towns or are still too small to supposrt an airport.

I'll keep you all informed.

John

8 hours ago, JohnY said:

Not yet Rodger.  My wording was a bit awry.  I missed out a couple of words.  I should have said; 'I've been ''thinking of' flying some....... Sorry.  I've got to look them up because some of the places may well have become ghost towns or are still too small to supposrt an airport.

I'll keep you all informed.

John

John, FYI, Eastern Oregon has a number of trailsl that go through interesting geology. We used to drive up to eastern Washington from central Oregon in the summers and really enjoy the trip.

Archived