Seems I choose the appropriate airline for starting in Guangzhou, UT live did the same.

sydLIln.jpg

Climbing out we have a great view of "Canton" city...

YD4VGwN.jpg

I thought this would be a vector error at the delta of Zhujiang river. But it is correct: GE shows it as well. If the water might be sweet enough for watering the fields?

CiEmSoX.jpg

20 minutes after start we pass VHHH Chek Lap Kok. Could be a destination, but not for us...

Tplz7yf.jpg

Macau is not either.

s1Kx7U0.jpg

Instead we turn back on STAR TAMT13 towards Hongkong (old) Kai Tak ...

swGui9n.jpg

... over Lamma Island, ...

yvh59Gq.jpg

... heading to Kowloon.

NXa0hqh.jpg

TI6LW2c.jpg

What´s on TV today? With the big screens of the present it must be much easier than in the last decade to watch TV from the plane.

uj54iTE.jpg

You probably all know why this is called "Checkerboard approach". I had to do it all manually, as the navigation database of the 787 does not know the ILS / IGS frequencies of Kai Tak.

hGRmndS.jpg

jRDHado.jpg

Slightly offset, but survived!

SHYKO5q.jpg

Gerold, my wife and I live just a coupe of miles from a plane-painting facility--International Aerospace Coatings--that serves airlines from all over the world. When one of the Hainan planes is in progress, we are particularly exited because it is a beautiful paint job. Watching it develop is a joy. So, that is simply background to saying how much I enjoyed seeing Hainan actually in service in your set. Thanks much!

17 hours ago, paulb said:

Interesting flight Gerold! Landed there quite a few times :)

Thank you Paul. Except from starting at Macau or Chek Lap Kok this was the closest airport for doing this approach.

17 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Nice flight and I'm happy that you got your checkerboard approach now. :)

Thanks Lars. To get no surprises I had set the wind manually to an eastern one...

16 hours ago, BradB said:

Thanks for the memories Gerold , I made this approach many times back in the old days of FS . :)B):D

Cheers

John

Get on it again, John. P3D gives you a different level of sights!

16 hours ago, mikee said:

Nice Shots Gerold , beautiful plane :)

Thank you mikee. Amongst my jets this was the one with the most appropriate livery...

13 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Gerold, my wife and I live just a coupe of miles from a plane-painting facility--International Aerospace Coatings--that serves airlines from all over the world. When one of the Hainan planes is in progress, we are particularly exited because it is a beautiful paint job. Watching it develop is a joy. So, that is simply background to saying how much I enjoyed seeing Hainan actually in service in your set. Thanks much!

Nice view you have, Rodger - suited for a partly-ready-planespotter! When I´ll see the next Hainan in real life, I´ll take a picture for you!

11 hours ago, lauriebe said:

Great set Gerold.  Only managed one trip into/out of Kai Tak when it was operating.

You lucky one! This pleasure (?) is lost for all times now.

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I bought the FT one and made that checkerboard approach several time snow, it's brilliant.  Nice ones in the 787 Gerold!

Thanks Jack. I´ll surely do this again, and with all frequencies tuned / prepared!

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain.

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A wonderful flight with an excellent landing.

We have all no doubt seen many YT vids where the planes are not only off centre but nearly off the runway!

Many thanks for this motivation, Martyn. Compared to a go-around this was all under control. And what a view!

28 minutes ago, wain71 said:

nice, enjoyed the flight and the landing was fine.......

Relatively, wain, relatively :D!

Beautiful coverage of the old Kai Tak approach, Gerold.

And what a beautiful plane is the 787, isn't she?

The old Kai Tak scenery is still on my bookshelf, never installed it....but I think it is time to do so !

Cheers Fred

7 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Beautiful coverage of the old Kai Tak approach, Gerold.

And what a beautiful plane is the 787, isn't she?

The old Kai Tak scenery is still on my bookshelf, never installed it....but I think it is time to do so !

Cheers Fred

Thank you Fred. The 787 is really a nice design (the A350 is as well, but has no depiction in our sims!) - and Kai Tak is worth the trip (plus the local discovery in a helicopter).

Archived