Where have you lived?

8 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Just found this thread and found it very interesting. If anyone is interested  here is my history and locations.

Born in Singapore (Dad was UK diplomat)

Holland

Burma

Trinidad -all as upto 18 yrs old.

As working adult in the mega project construction/oil field development industry:

Saudi Arabia-3 times

Libya-2 times

Egypt

Kuwait

Iraq (hostage for 4 months)

Jordan

Abu Dhabi-2 times

Indonesia

New Zealand

Iceland

Ireland

Scotland

Wales

England

Used 7 10 year passports full up.

Stopped work in 2007 and haven't left my man-cave since:D No desire to travel anywhere ever again. Been there, done that. Just enjoying HOME and family life which was sorely missed for 30+ years.

jjaycee 1, that's a remarkable history. I notice that much of it centers in the Mid-east, and one of those entries includes a period as a hostage. Hope there isn't too much weight still on your shoulders from that time. I'll kind of have you in my heart today.

@Rodger Pettichord Thanks Rodger for you kind words. I have enjoyed a very varied life which was always travel orientated due to my Dad's work. I guess travel was then ingrained in me and my adult profession suited the travel bug. It does have it's downside though as I find it very difficult to understand some peoples views of other nationality traits or countries when there sole experience of that place has probably been  2 weeks on a beach. They return with the notion that they are now experienced enough to comment on that countries foreign policy etc !!Regarding my "guest" stay in Iraq, it was because I flew back to Baghdad on the 1st August 1990, the day Iraq invaded Kuwait. The UN then immediately put commercial sanctions on Iraq and that left us unable to work for the Iraq government so we were detained. Anyway all well that ends well.

Something to put in my memoirs:D

On 1/23/2019 at 3:49 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Ripcord, the real question is, are you fluent in Texan? :lol:

Now let's get specific here, which Texan are you talking about?

Piney Woods/Sabine River?

Oklahoma Broder?

East Texan?

Gulf Coast?

Houston?

Dallas/Ft Worth?

Austin?

Hill Country?

West Texan?

Texas Oilfield?

Rio Grande Texan?

Although they all speak Texas English you can hear location accents in their language because their original families were from the same Europian country and they tended to settle around people who spoke their language.  The original Texan language other than the Native American dialects was Mexican Spanish mixed with English which you can still hear along the Rio Grande.  

Being that Texas is larger than France, was mostly empty unclaimed land and ripe for settlement, it quickly filled with people from all over Europe giving rise to the different accents, so once again, which Texan are you talking about?  :D

Dale

A Proud Naturalized Texan 

Born in California -- 1937

Moved to Dallas, TX  -- 1941

Grew up in New Orleans - -1942  - 1951

Lived in Auburn, California-- 1951 - 1952

Lived in Shreveport. LA -- 1952 - 1954

Joined the Navy on January 13, 1954, at age 16

USN Training at:

San Diego, CA  -  8 weeks

Norman, OK -   10 weeks 

Memphis, TN  -  27 weeks

Lived in Norfolk, VA --  1955 - 1957  USN

Lived in Coolidge, AZ -- 1957 - 1958

Lived in Shreveport, LA -- 1958 - 1963

Lived in New Orleans -- 1963 - 1990

Liven in Houston, TX --1990 - 1998

Lived in Irving, TX -- 1999 - 2001

Lived in Valentine, TX  -- 2001 - 2019

Moved to Baton Rouge, LA to live with Son  -- 2019 -???

This exercise has helped to renew old memories, both good and bad, like how I convinced a girl I met in Oklahoma City to marry me after only 3 weeks of courtship.  She stuck with me for the next 42 years when I lost her to heart failure.  

Dale

1 hour ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Now let's get specific here, which Texan are you talking about?

Piney Woods/Sabine River?

Oklahoma Broder?

East Texan?

Gulf Coast?

Houston?

Dallas/Ft Worth?

Austin?

Hill Country?

West Texan?

Texas Oilfield?

Rio Grande Texan?

Although they all speak Texas English you can hear location accents in their language because their original families were from the same Europian country and they tended to settle around people who spoke their language.  The original Texan language other than the Native American dialects was Mexican Spanish mixed with English which you can still hear along the Rio Grande.  

Being that Texas is larger than France, was mostly empty unclaimed land and ripe for settlement, it quickly filled with people from all over Europe giving rise to the different accents, so once again, which Texan are you talking about?  :D

Dale

A Proud Naturalized Texan 

Gypsy, that's really interesting and totally new to me. A follow-up question--if I were to go to Texas and listen for the various dialects, how hard would it be to hear the differences? Do the differences stand out or are they more subtle? 

11 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

@Rodger Pettichord Thanks Rodger for you kind words. I have enjoyed a very varied life which was always travel orientated due to my Dad's work. I guess travel was then ingrained in me and my adult profession suited the travel bug. It does have it's downside though as I find it very difficult to understand some peoples views of other nationality traits or countries when there sole experience of that place has probably been  2 weeks on a beach. They return with the notion that they are now experienced enough to comment on that countries foreign policy etc !!Regarding my "guest" stay in Iraq, it was because I flew back to Baghdad on the 1st August 1990, the day Iraq invaded Kuwait. The UN then immediately put commercial sanctions on Iraq and that left us unable to work for the Iraq government so we were detained. Anyway all well that ends well.

Something to put in my memoirs:D

Wow, that must have felt a little too real!

18 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Gypsy, that's really interesting and totally new to me. A follow-up question--if I were to go to Texas and listen for the various dialects, how hard would it be to hear the differences? Do the differences stand out or are they more subtle? 

The differences are subtle and are impossible to hear in the under 30 crowds. Now it's mostly word usage without the original tones.   

3 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

The differences are subtle and are impossible to hear in the under 30 crowds. Now it's mostly word usage without the original tones.   

One more question. You now live in Louisiana. That's a place that also features a distinct accent. Do you find regional dialect variations there also?

20 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

One more question. You now live in Louisiana. That's a place that also features a distinct accent. Do you find regional dialect variations there also?

Yes, but not as much as in the '40s thru the '70s

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 11:50 PM, adambar said:

I moved two miles outside of town, if you can call that moving. :D

I was born and raised in Bartlesville , Oklahoma and If it the company I worked (which was headquartered in Bartlesville) hadn't transferred to a other places I would have spent my whole life In Bartlesville.

Well I am a bit like some of those globetrotters i read above

Born in France  Alsace 

moved to Biarritz  , Val D"isere , Evian les Bains , Paris France 

Then Germany Frankfurt/main

South Africa Jo'burg

Tahiti Papette

Noumea New Caledonia 

Perth WA 

Shark Bay WA

Port Hedland WA

Penrith NSW

Sydney Nsw

Darwin NT

Yamba NSW

This  was  the life of a busy Chef 

Now  my  next place  is  not far  from  from Yamba  . It would be Maclean  NSW  It's a small place under the trees  where  Flying foxes  nest and it's  full of tombstones!!! 

Hey Yamba1, 

I have a nephew that lives up at Ashby Heights !  He is also a chef at the Yamba RSL.  He spends 6 months there, then in Summer, flys off to Antarctica for 6 months as a chef down there. Maybe you know Adam ? I know the area well and visit often.

Like jjaycee1, I worked in the oil industry, and spent time in places ranging from North Africa, across the middle east, thru to Indonesia. Working in Instrumentation and Process control installation and QA supervisor. Was contracted with General Electric Gas Turbine Division for a while.

Home base was to the south east of Brisbane (YBBN) Redlands , Victoria Point, (right on the bay), and now retired (17 years) to Hervey Bay (YHBA).

Now let's see how good my memory is:

Born in Copenhagen, Denmark, 1933

Royal Danish AF Training in USA 1952, Italy 1954

Moved from Denmark to Rochester, NY, USA 1957

Moved to Long Island, NY, 1960

Moved to Yuma, AZ, 1962 (job assignment)

Moved back to Rochester, NY, 1963

Moved to Fort Worth, TX, 1967 (job assignment)

Moved to Groton, CT, 1971

Moved to Gaithersburg, MD, 1973 (suburban Washington, DC)

Moved to Annandale, VA, 1978 (suburban Washington, DC)

Moved to Fairfax, VA, 1998 (retired in 2003)

- now I am out of breath!

16 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Was born in Launceston.

Live in Launceston.

Shall die in Launceston.:unsure:

cheers

Gumby

\

God's little acre Gumby, and believe me I have been around, and I know this for a fact. Terry.

Born in Boston but I'm OK now.

San Antonia for basic training

Colorado for avionics school

Idaho for avionics school

Upper Heyford UK for training and woking F-111's

Back to Idaho with the Air Force

Atlanta ever since

But visited almost every state in the USA except Alaska and Hawaii

Worked in or visited:

Scotland

Germany

France

Greece

Turkey

Spain

No longer working now in the Atlanta area.  Want to travel but medically limited :( 

'Evictions'.  Now that would be interesting Lawrence!

Here's a not very interesting start.   I was in my mid twenties and the company I worked for in Sussex was planning to downsize and without me, move to Scotland.  My brother in law noticed there was an empty shop in Basingstoke which was expanding into a large town at the time.  He encouraged us to take it on as a hardware business.  What we failed to realise was that the people coming in to the new town had spent most of their cash in getting there and setting up home!   After two years of struggling to find enough customers we were nearly bankrupt and were evicted for non payment of rent. 

Luckily we were just able to avoid bankrupcy and being in a newly developed town, there were plenty of job openings.  So we quickly got employment.  In my case, I started as a Sales Office Clerk and was promoted regularly over the twenty-five years I worked there finishing as the Property Manager of the firm which entailed travelling thousands of miles visiting the firms various properties from the Channel Isles to the North of Scotland.  During this time, we had children (a boy and a girl) and my wife worked part-time in various offices.

I stayed there for 25 years and retired a early at 55 to come and live in the West Country where we are now.

See !     Now that's interesting stuff John.

Nobody cares where you were.....but what happened when you were.

I lived in Binh Thuy Vietnam during TET in 1967......but they missed me.

In fact they missed me several times during 1967, either through poor aim or lousy manufacturing (Chinese) quality control on their 37mm AA rounds.

Or (on occasion) both.

Frankly, I'm not sure I ever hit anything either.

So call it even. 

'Westbury' Gumby - that's a big shopping centre in Shepherds Bush, South London.  We've been there a couple of times.  Bought the watch I'm wearing now there.

Or, come to think of it.  Have I got it all wrong as usual?

11 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I was evicted from my senses once. I was drunk enough to challenge a friend who was a Golden Gloves Heavyweight champion. The bout ended in one punch, and it wasn't mine. 

Just imagine how much you would have hurt her if you'd been sober.

:)

8 hours ago, JohnY said:

'Westbury' Gumby - that's a big shopping centre in Shepherds Bush, South London.  We've been there a couple of times.  Bought the watch I'm wearing now there.

Or, come to think of it.  Have I got it all wrong as usual?

Your 100% correct John, you have got it wrong.:D

Westbury is a small town about 15mins drive out of

Launceston. I think for memory  that's where Teecee comes from. 

But hey thank God your watch still works, if not much else.:lol::lol::lol:

cheers

Gumby

Told yer.  Got it wrong again!  Thanks for the correction Nick but how the dickens did you know that?

You should be ashamed of yourself Rodger.  Lawrence is quite right.  That'll teach you not to fight the girls.

On 3/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, Chris.D said:

Sorry Chris , I just came back  and saw  your query.  No  I do not  now Adam , since I  left the Industry   I lost contact with  my Colleagues.  Enjoy  you  retirement  at the Bay  , I have  my eldest son   who is in HB  , works  for  Wide Bay  Waters as  an Engineer 

Charles 

Archived