KGPI Runway Floating - weird issues

Airwolf

I certainly notice the difference in elevation after opening the bgls...

FAA INFORMATION EFFECTIVE 31 JANUARY 2019

FAA Identifier:  GPI 
Lat/Long:  48-18-37.8000N / 114-15-21.6000W
48-18.630000N / 114-15.360000W
48.3105000 / -114.2560000
(estimated) 
Elevation:  2976.8 ft. / 907.3 m (surveyed) 

Skyvector has airport elevation at 2977ft, as does Navigraph...

Opening the two files in ADE:

Herve's updated bgl has the airport elevation at 907.389m = 2976.99ft

Your KGPI_ADEP4_GRJ.bgl has the elevation at 905.00m = 2969.16ft... 2m lower which would certainly explain the sunken areas with the modified world scenery bgl active.

I have amassed a multitude of Orbx products, as well as third party airports, happily sitting alongside navaid/world updates and I only chipped in as this the only airport where elevation issues haven't been resolved by deactivating conflicting Orbx Vector bgl's / running the vector elevation tool

Merely a genuine question out of curiosity (and I appreciate the comments so far) however, where did you take your elevation data from to settle at 905m?

Part of me suspects that if your product more closely matched real world elevation then people with modified world scenery bgl's wouldn't have an issue as your scenery would be sitting on top of the modified bgl. The modified bgl would be loaded (due to being unable to do an exclude) but never seen as yours would sit on top. And those without a modified bgl wouldn't have an issue either as you have previously explained

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/17/2019 at 10:10 AM, Harry320 said:

I also use FSAD and did what Harald posted.  It solved my elevation problems at KGPI.

Thanks for the post Harald.

Jerry

Hi,

i use fsArodata and had elevation problems also at KGPI.

I've disabled fsAerodata, reopened fsAerodata Configuration Tool and chose options,

unchecked "ICAO Identifiers" and enabled fsAerodata again.

This solved my elevation problem

regards,

Harald

fsAerodata Options.JPG

On 2/17/2019 at 1:47 PM, Nick Cooper said:

I see that you have posted the same question again without answering the question asked.

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the double post amid some confusion.

I seem to have fixed my problem by doing the following:

Uninstalled KGPI from FTX Central 3

Reinstalled KGPI

Used the APX17140.bgl file which you attached in note #73, I used the Hervé Sors' navdata for NA which planted the incorrect .BGL file

Run "Verify Files" for KGPI

Run "Verify Files" for OrbxLibs"

Started P3D V4 and it looked OK to me, no elevation spots that I could tell.

Thanks for your patience.

Helmut

20 hours ago, HammerTime said:

Merely a genuine question out of curiosity (and I appreciate the comments so far) however, where did you take your elevation data from to settle at 905m? 

Hi mate,

That's a good question. The answer, once again comes back to FSX/P3D's requirement for flat airports.

The default airports are, for the most part set at the altitude according the available airport data at the time. Although the Airport Reference Point is at that actual altitude, each end of the runways, taxiways, aprons and parts of the surroundings generally are not. The variance can be very small but in most cases that I've come across, it's a good few metres. If you look at the airport boundaries of default airports you'll see where the fixed altitude meets the varied height usually in the form of a small cliff.

When building airports we try to take this variance into account and counter it by smoothing the terrain around the boundary so that it's not noticeable. This is usually fairly straightfoward, but in cases where ground polygon is very large, we sometimes have to lift or drop the height of the entire airport in order to make the smoothing both easier and more believable.

Hopefully that makes some sense!

Greg

On 2/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Yes, that would be a problem. Also, if your username has a character such as "&" it will not work.

You should have 3 files for OF2 to work: 

OF_Config.xml in P3Dv4\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery

Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll in C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\newest version

add-on.xml in C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2

These files all do exist, yet there is no Object Flow menu within the P3d add-ons. It is also checked on in FTX

18 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Ok, could you please post a copy of the two below .xml files.

OF_Config.xml in P3Dv4\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery

add-on.xml in C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2

OF_Config:

<DynPlacement.Document>
  <Config>
    <Paths>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KSBA\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KCGX\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KGPI\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KHQM\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KIDA\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KMBS\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KPSP\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KSAN\scenery</Path>
      <Path>ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_YOSEMITE\scenery</Path>
    </Paths>
  </Config>
</DynPlacement.Document>

add-on.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>Orbx ObjectFlow 2</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>Allows Orbx scenery to display dynamic content.</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>DLL</Category>
    <Path>C:\Users\bhorv\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.3.4.5\Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll</Path>
    <DLLStartName>module_init</DLLStartName>
    <DLLStopName>module_deinit</DLLStopName>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

7 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Thanks

Please remove/cut and paste the add-on.xml to your desktop and open FTXC3 and do a "Verify Files" of the Orbx Libs and try with the newly created add-on.xml.

Thanks - removed the previous add-on.xml and had FTX create a new by verifying LIbs. Still not getting the OF menu in Add ons. 

Just another thought - I was having a lot of issues with FTX in that I was not able to download any scenery from FTX. I had to always download the zip file from the website, and then use FTX to install. Suddenly, that is now working, but I'm curious if these issues are related. Perhaps some files are missing?

10 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

No, but is your UAC turned off? Are you running FTXC3 as administrator? Are you logged into your PC as administrator? Are you running P3D as administrator?

UAC is off. I'm not logged in as admin nor do I run P3d or FTX as admin either.

You should also have C:\Users\ bhorv\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg.

It should contain the text

[Package.0]
PATH=C:\Users\bhorv\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Also, are you looking at the right P3D menu, the one accessed from the scenerio page at the bottom?

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

You should also have C:\Users\ bhorv\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg.

It should contain the text

[Package.0]
PATH=C:\Users\bhorv\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Also, are you looking at the right P3D menu, the one accessed from the scenerio page at the bottom?

Think you found the issue. This entry was not in this add-ons.cfg. I'm adding it now, and will report back. Appreciate the help. 

Archived